New Book Gives Insights on HBO’s Game of Thrones

Westeros

10 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

5 (out of 7) books for 12 seasons is unrealistic and crazy.

It is now.  There used to be TV series with 20 or so episodes per season depending on popularity.  Beauty and the Beast is one example.

George R.R. Martin’s 'Beauty And The Beast' Would've Been Bloody AF | HuffPost Entertainment

I think he felt that they could have done more with the material they already had.

17 hours ago, LynnS said:

It is now.  There used to be TV series with 20 or so episodes per season depending on popularity.  Beauty and the Beast is one example.

George R.R. Martin’s 'Beauty And The Beast' Would've Been Bloody AF | HuffPost Entertainment

I think he felt that they could have done more with the material they already had.

I suppose you could've created characters, plotlines and even places that were exclusive to the TV show.

Walking Dead - for all its missteps - did (and is still doing) a good job of that.

And I also suppose that we could've had episodes that were flashbacks or dreams, taking place in a completely different time or place sometimes with a different cast of characters. It's kind of a staple in television (especially 2010s television) and I always found it weird that D&D were so much against those things.

• 6 months later...
On 1/5/2022 at 5:00 PM, BlackLightning said:

It was.

It was a bit unrealistic to be honest.

Randyll Tarly is not an idiot. He's more likely to bend the knee than to choose to be executed by dragonfire. Dickon's execution makes even less sense. Absolutely no father worth being called a father -- medieval or modern, fictional or real -- would allow his son and the future of his family to be executed along side of him...for no reason.

Unrealistic?

I think that's debatable since there's many-many people who in real life make choices based on emotion and bravado versus logic. He refuses to bend the knee to Daenerys because he's a sexist piece of shit and only obeyed Cersei due to a massive bribe.

The fact he realizes, "Oh my god, my house is ending" when his son volunteers to die with him was a good moment. It just needed more follow through.

RE: Twelve Seasons

Well, they ditched:

1. Arianne Martell

2. Quentyn Martell

3. Penny and Tyrion (I don't think Martin realizes how little anyone gives a shit here)

4. Tyrion's dark side

5. The Golden Company, Griff, and the Mummer's Dragon

6. Cersei's long road into madness

7. Just HOW bad Daenerys is at running kingdoms.

Part of this being due to the fact that they were eager to get the show done.

• 4 weeks later...

Random I know but I think Danny was such an outcast her whole life and such and outsider amongst everyone as she had to fight to win people over that when she went to the north and saw how people gravitated towards John snow Sansa even how Breaon stood up for Jamie she was jealous because her love came out of fear and not really respect and unconditional love she was really yearning  for 

Archived