It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

RumHam

The new season starts December 2nd, but the reason I'm making the thread now is I see that MacElhenney, Howerton and Day have started a podcast going through the series episode by episode.

I dunno why the link isn't starting with the first episode. Not a big podcast guy but I'll give it a listen. The DVD\blu-ray commentaries were quite amusing but they haven't done any for like ten seasons because who buys disks anymore. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

The new season starts December 2nd, but the reason I'm making the thread now is I see that MacElhenney, Howerton and Day have started a podcast going through the series episode by episode.

I dunno why the link isn't starting with the first episode. Not a big podcast guy but I'll give it a listen. The DVD\blu-ray commentaries were quite amusing but they haven't done any for like ten seasons because who buys disks anymore. 

*raises hand*

I’ll have to check this out though. I’m also not a real big podcast guy, but I’ve been enjoying Talking Sopranos (they’re doing the same thing - going through each episode). 

• 2 weeks later...

Oof that first episode was so rushed. As they point out on their podcast the best parts of the show are the little moments between the characters that usually have nothing to do with the plot. That episode was just all plot and very little funny. 

1 hour ago, sifth said:

I was laughing my ass off during that first episode. The second one had a really great joke about Dennis going woke, but the rest was pretty lack luster.

I really enjoyed the reveal that they all voted for Kanye. 

Jeez, that roller rink episode may be all time low. Nary a laugh to be found. And, look, I don’t demand strict adherence to canon in IASiP, but we know these people were not even reasonably well adjusted by the time they reached college age. Dee made Cricket eat shit in high school, Dennis was a deluded sociopath, Charlie was dumb, Mac was a coward, it felt like a thin premise just to have them act against type.

The monkey ep…. Just decent, it felt like Sunny, the characters were themselves, best of the season so far.

14 hours ago, Morpheus said:

but we know these people were not even reasonably well adjusted by the time they reached college age.

Yeah that ep insanely contradicts the high school reunion episodes.  Also it was a..weird depiction of 1998.  Only part I liked was that Charlie actually owns (or owned, I suppose) about 85% of the bar.

The monkey episode was better, but largely just because monkeys are awesome.

Not gona lie, I really liked the monkey episode. The gang getting scammed by a monkey, might go down as one of my favorite moments of the series.

I agree about the first episode not being very good though. Can't even think about any stand out gags, to be honest.

On 12/9/2021 at 12:18 PM, Morpheus said:

Jeez, that roller rink episode may be all time low. Nary a laugh to be found. And, look, I don’t demand strict adherence to canon in IASiP, but we know these people were not even reasonably well adjusted by the time they reached college age. Dee made Cricket eat shit in high school, Dennis was a deluded sociopath, Charlie was dumb, Mac was a coward, it felt like a thin premise just to have them act against type.

It's weird because like they namedropped Duley, the old member of the gang who offed himself who is mentioned in the "Party Mansion" episode and the reunion ones.  They remembered that Charlie got conned out of his shares of the bar with sandwiches. They even brought back Charlie's desire to understand what Frank's company does.

Honestly I'm fine with them disregarding canon, as long as it's in service of good jokes. Like the reunion episode, prior to that it'd been established that only two of them went to the same school and at one point The Waitress asks Dee "so did you go to high school..?" But this one just wasn't funny

11 hours ago, RumHam said:

prior to that it'd been established that only two of them went to the same school

When was this?  In the underage drinking episode in the first season it's established they all went to high school together and their allusions to it are very consistent with the reunion episodes - up to Dennis thinking Tim Murphy slept with his prom date.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

When was this?  In the underage drinking episode in the first season it's established they all went to high school together and their allusions to it are very consistent with the reunion episodes - up to Dennis thinking Tim Murphy slept with his prom date.

I wanna say it was the Charlie got Molested episode. When Mac is telling Dennis and Dee about the coach and the McPoyles as if they did not go to school with them.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I wanna say it was the Charlie got Molested episode. When Mac is telling Dennis and Dee about the coach and the McPoyles as if they did not go to school with them.

Ah, right.  Mac and Charlie went to "St. Vincent's" while it doesn't seem Dennis and Dee did.  They mention the coach was arrested for molesting two kids in the mid-80s, so presumably that was grade school.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Ah, right.  Mac and Charlie went to "St. Vincent's" while it doesn't seem Dennis and Dee did.  They mention the coach was arrested for molesting two kids in the mid-80s, so presumably that was grade school.

Oh, duh that makes a lot of sense. I dunno why when I rewatched that recently I assumed Mr. Belding was a high school coach.

Archived