MCU: a very special Hawkeye Christmas…

Ser Scot A Ellison

11 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I think I would have preferred them to go over the top with Eternals , it all felt very muted and safe.

Yeah this was one thing I just did not understand. From the story to the visuals- I was saying last week how some of the other fantasy MCU films have been able to have a bit more colour and independence of design, but Shang-Chi disappointed me because it didn't. This had even more opportunity than Shang Chi if anything, especially since Thor: Ragnarok already showed you can go full Jack Kirby in live action and get away with it, but it very much went for the dry approach. Not bad, but aiming way too hard for dignified class when pop is needed. 

On the plus side the depiction of Makkari's powers was very well done speedster stuff and I hope we see more of it. That was one of the parts of the movie with some (in a minor way) very high-quality visual decisions that just made you wish they'd gone all in more. Got across the speed and let us see what she was doing without either slow-mo or too much of that stop-motion effect you often get. 

(Arashem's arrival was another. Both the visual with the light breaking through the clouds etc, and the sound design there were genuinely excellent and if the film had had more of that kind of spectacle we'd have been on to a great thing, but it didn't). 

So...watched Eternals.  It isn't quite as horrible as some have intimated...but I won't rank it high on my list overall.  It was stunning visually in many ways, but it was...lacking in others.

Ultimately, I found myself wondering how this is meant to fit into the greater MCU picture...I mean, even with GOTG (as much as I'm bot a fan as some are of those films...), you walked away with a sense that they had a place in the overall story...something that did pay off in Infinity War...but this...I can't see it.

Sidebar...as to the credit scene's, I like that Patton Oswalt is the voice they're using for Pip...but why a fully CGI character...it seemed odd...

Watched Eternals on Saturday night as well. Yeah, it was too po-faced. Which I think is something that was true of cosmic marvel in general, in the comic books. GotG got past this by making the movie even more MCU style than previous films, partly because they got it made by a guy very good at writing humour and dialogue. For Eternals they had it made by someone very good at visuals and, sure enough, most of the film takes place in landscapes. It never, apart from brief scenes with Dane and some Kingo stuff, felt like it took place in the real world with real people.

Still, there was some all right bits and it could have been interesting exploring this idea of saving the world from the perspective of people who are set apart from actual humans and only have themselves to relate to or depend on.

13 hours ago, john said:

Watched Eternals on Saturday night as well. Yeah, it was too po-faced. Which I think is something that was true of cosmic marvel in general, in the comic books. GotG got past this by making the movie even more MCU style than previous films, partly because they got it made by a guy very good at writing humour and dialogue. For Eternals they had it made by someone very good at visuals and, sure enough, most of the film takes place in landscapes. It never, apart from brief scenes with Dane and some Kingo stuff, felt like it took place in the real world with real people.

Still, there was some all right bits and it could have been interesting exploring this idea of saving the world from the perspective of people who are set apart from actual humans and only have themselves to relate to or depend on.

You make a good point. There really aren't that many extras in The Eternals. Sure there's a bunch when they're in London at the start and in the flashbacks as well. I guess Druid's mind controlled slaves count, but after that scene, I don't think there are any until we get to the very end of the film, when we're at the park.

On another topic, how is Harry Styles, Thanos brother? He claims to be an Eternal himself and those guys were made in a factory. Was he adopted or something; because that in and of itself just raises more questions, since Eternals are created at the age they remain all of their existence. Which would mean Thanos family adopted a fully grown man.

They just haven't thought it through tbh, just using the link in the comics (where Titanians are an Eternal colony nowadays, but the Eternals aren't created in the same way) without considering the consequences. Think they're going to have to either go with the adult adoption route or handwave that while these Eternals were created, they can have children, some did, created the Titan (or whatever Thanos' homeworld was called in the MCU) civilisation yadda yadda yadda

It's entirely possible that the Eternals of Titan, were a different way of doing things by the Celestials...it is referenced that there are other groups of Eternals out there, that they could learn some things from Ajak's methods...perhaps the Eternals of Titan are set up differently? With actual family units as they work their goals.

I certainly suspect the idea of Thanos wanting to eliminate populations by half will play into the idea that the Celestials need planets to be too populated...

5 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I certainly suspect the idea of Thanos wanting to eliminate populations by half will play into the idea that the Celestials need planets to be too populated...

The problem is they didn't lay any groundwork for that. Like it's just not the reason Thanos gives in Infinity War and he never hints at any other reason. Titain is fucked but it's still there, not blown to pieces by an emerging celestial. Yet overpopulation doesn't really make sense as the cause of their doom because if they got that populated why wasn't the celestial born?

For now I'm assuming Titan was a normal planet that had its own eternals assigned to it who looked like Thanos. Or maybe they do the "deviant gene" thing and not everyone on Titain looked like Thanos. Either way maybe the Titain Eternals including Star Fox had a similar realization as the earth ones and stopped the celestial from being born. But the planet still collapsed due to overpopulation. This would be why Starfox knows the others are in major trouble, he's been through this. 

So I figure Starfox, a robot, became close with Thanos, a very long lived biological alien, and considered him a brother and is now just sort of trying to make himself seem grander by association because Thanos is a name everyone knows. 

But probably it just highlights how loose the plan for these movies is. I was reading the other day about how No Way Home was supposed to come out after Multiverse of Madness, and how much more sense that would have made. Crack open the mulitiverse and then deal with multi-versal foes. But because Doctor Strange 2 got delayed they had to do this weird multiverse prelude where for an unrelated reason people from other universes are arriving in the main one. All is set right at the end at great cost only for it to be broken again by Wanda in the next movie. 

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

So I figure Starfox, a robot, became close with Thanos, a very long lived biological alien, and considered him a brother and is now just sort of trying to make himself seem grander by association because Thanos is a name everyone knows. 

The Eternals aren't robots. They're creations, but they're not robots. There's nothing in the film that suggests they're not biological (and much to suggest that they are).

4 minutes ago, mormont said:

The Eternals aren't robots. They're creations, but they're not robots. There's nothing in the film that suggests they're not biological (and much to suggest that they are).

They're artificial people, made in a factory, who have their memories erased and stored after each mission. They do not age, need to eat food or even breath air. I'm not sure if they're robots or not, but they seem like something pretty dam close to them.

4 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The problem is they didn't lay any groundwork for that. Like it's just not the reason Thanos gives in Infinity War and he never hints at any other reason. Titain is fucked but it's still there, not blown to pieces by an emerging celestial. Yet overpopulation doesn't really make sense as the cause of their doom because if they got that populated why wasn't the celestial born?

I can't say HOW it would play out, but in my head canon, there would be some wiggling and hand waving of a couple things, but the audience would come to understand that Thanos based his motivations on "balance" from discovering the needs of the Celestials to have such high populations.  That his machinations in that respect resulted in the Eternals of Titan somehow gaining their freedom from Arisham.  From there, I'm not quite sure yet...but I can see the elements of a comic book style ret-con in the storytelling.  I don't say it's great.  I don't say it's what should happen.  Just that if they're going to have Starfox and have him be a brother of Thanos (as he is supposed to be), there are ways a good comic book writer could shoehorn the story into existence.  And it would likely make a modicum of sense.

37 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I don't say it's what should happen.  Just that if they're going to have Starfox and have him be a brother of Thanos (as he is supposed to be), there are ways a good comic book writer could shoehorn the story into existence.  And it would likely make a modicum of sense.

Maybe just go the simple route and have it be similar to Worf and Martok on Star Trek DS9. Where Thanos becomes so impressed with Starfox's bravery and courage, he invites him to join his house as an honored brother. That's literally the only way I see any of this making sense. Since by this films logic, Eternals are built in a factory, lol

5 minutes ago, mormont said:

Do they bleed at all? I was trying to remember. Because Thanos bleeds a bit. They do fuck, which is interesting. I wonder if they could reproduce. 

Anyway Kingo say's they're basically fancy robots. Arishem says he "built and programmed" them. Sersi say's they were never alive. Robots works for me. Does it matter what they're made of? Which...I'm really not sure what they're made of beyond that weird yellow light energy. 

33 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Do they bleed at all? I was trying to remember. Because Thanos bleeds a bit. They do fuck, which is interesting. I wonder if they could reproduce. 

I mean to be fair, so did Mr. Data on TNG, so that one doesn't answer anything for me, lol

Was just coming here for that...I know I'll watch it...but I hope they don't spend the whole series GETTING to Moon Knight...as it seems they're being very chaste with showing him, beyond the final seconds...and concentrating on Marc Spector's fractured mind...

Moon Knight is absolutely an under utilized, hard to write, character (though he's gotten better in recent years?  I don't read comics much anymore, so not certain...) so hopefully this show will do him justice.  When, and how, and should it need to connect to the wider MCU?  That remains to be seen...

Archived