MCU: a very special Hawkeye Christmas…

Ser Scot A Ellison

13 hours ago, RumHam said:

Anyway Kingo say's they're basically fancy robots. Arishem says he "built and programmed" them. Sersi say's they were never alive. Robots works for me. Does it matter what they're made of? Which...I'm really not sure what they're made of beyond that weird yellow light energy. 

In the end, probably it doesn't matter. Starfox can be Thanos' brother in the same sense that Druig is Sprite's 'brother'. 

11 minutes ago, mormont said:

In the end, probably it doesn't matter. Starfox can be Thanos' brother in the same sense that Druig is Sprite's 'brother'. 

So Thanos is an Eternal? Because I’m pretty sure that’s the reason that lot called themselves family.

24 minutes ago, sifth said:

So Thanos is an Eternal? Because I’m pretty sure that’s the reason that lot called themselves family.

I'm taking that as an implied possibility, yes. 

Again, if you look at the comics background it's all a mess. Thanos was never supposed to be related to the Eternals because they were never supposed to be in continuity. But then there were various retcons and retcons of those retcons and it all got complicated...

4 hours ago, mormont said:

I'm taking that as an implied possibility, yes. 

Again, if you look at the comics background it's all a mess. Thanos was never supposed to be related to the Eternals because they were never supposed to be in continuity. But then there were various retcons and retcons of those retcons and it all got complicated...

Yea, but didn't the Red Skull mention that Thanos has a father in Infinity Wars. That wouldn't make any sense, if the guy was made in a factory.

The only real mess was the implication that the Celestials were breaking down the Eternals and resetting them after every emergence.  I'm choosing to ignore that part and believe that there could be Eternal family units...especially if there were break away groups, possibly like the Eteranals that might have been on Titan.

Just say the Celestials wiped memories and reset brains.  You don't have to say they were doing more than that to the Eternals.  That was the unforced error in the writing.

25 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The only real mess was the implication that the Celestials were breaking down the Eternals and resetting them after every emergence.  I'm choosing to ignore that part and believe that there could be Eternal family units...especially if there were break away groups, possibly like the Eteranals that might have been on Titan.

Just say the Celestials wiped memories and reset brains.  You don't have to say they were doing more than that to the Eternals.  That was the unforced error in the writing.

I was really interested in Thena's memory problem where it was essentially because she had lived so long she had accumulated too many memories.  That's a very Bakker thing to have happen.  All we need is for an Eternal to go all "Cleric" on the rest of them and start giving sermons at the end of every day!

7 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I was really interested in Thena's memory problem where it was essentially because she had lived so long she had accumulated too many memories.  That's a very Bakker thing to have happen.  All we need is for an Eternal to go all "Cleric" on the rest of them and start giving sermons at the end of every day!

This is why I think the Eternals would have worked better as a whole. They could have made an entire episode or possibly several episodes, just exploring Thena and Gigamesh's relationship over the centuries.

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I was really interested in Thena's memory problem where it was essentially because she had lived so long she had accumulated too many memories.

I’d forgotten how much this hinted at a way better twist that would’ve been so ballsy; that Thena was totally in her right mind when she had these ‘lapses’, she just remembered that they were basically gonna murder the planet and they had to be stopped right there and then. Couple this with the Deviant essentially saying ‘could you just leave us alone, we’re just trying to live’, this could’ve been the Skrull twist on steroids - what we assume are the protagonists who’ll have a role going forward are actually full on the worst, the majority side with Ikarus and the climax is essentially ‘stop the Eternals’.

Instead, Thena was just a bit nuts and Deviants went nowhere. 

2 hours ago, sifth said:

Yea, but didn't the Red Skull mention that Thanos has a father in Infinity Wars. That wouldn't make any sense, if the guy was made in a factory.

Looking at Thanos' two daughters in the films I don't think he necessarily considers parentage to be defined by biology.

Isn't Thanos revealed to be a Deviant in the comics? They may have hinted at that in Eternals with the main Deviant slowly turning humanoid as he absorbed Eternals' powers. It would also bolster his motivation about cutting down the universe's life in half. It prevents more Celestials from being born to stop the cycle of destruction.

16 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Isn't Thanos revealed to be a Deviant in the comics? They may have hinted at that in Eternals with the main Deviant slowly turning humanoid as he absorbed Eternals' powers. It would also bolster his motivation about cutting down the universe's life in half. It prevents more Celestials from being born to stop the cycle of destruction.

Not sure if that retcon of Thanos ever stuck.  For the longest time, he was more of an mutant Eternal...

3 hours ago, sifth said:

Yea, but didn't the Red Skull mention that Thanos has a father in Infinity Wars.

Yeah pretty sure he says "son of Eros" in Infinity War.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

Looking at Thanos' two daughters in the films I don't think he necessarily considers parentage to be defined by biology.

That's a good point - and considering Red Skull also refers to Gamora as "daughter of Thanos" in Infinity War, certainly appears it doesn't have to be blood ties.

21 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Isn't Thanos revealed to be a Deviant in the comics?

That's what I remember reading on wikipedia years ago.  Regardless I think that'd be the most expedient explanation for the MCU, if they ever bother addressing it.

If I recall correctly, or at least at one point, Thanos was an Eternal who somehow showed Deviant genes, hence his being big and purple, rather than him being a deviant outright. 

But comics. Who knows (Mormont probably).

Let's be honest the easiest way to fix it would be to go 'blah blah Arashem was lying' and bring the Eternals more in line with what they are in the comics.  

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Let's be honest the easiest way to fix it would be to go 'blah blah Arashem was lying' and bring the Eternals more in line with what they are in the comics.  

Not ideal though, reminds me of the Last Jedi/shit final movie thing with Rey's parents. I feel like if a character in a movie is going to lie that lie should almost always be revealed by the end of the movie. 

19 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Not ideal though, reminds me of the Last Jedi/shit final movie thing with Rey's parents. I feel like if a character in a movie is going to lie that lie should almost always be revealed by the end of the movie. 

I do worry there will be a lot of that type of writing, in order to make the Eternals fit into the larger MCU. Sure they talk about the Avengers and Thor, in this film; but that aside this movie feels very disconnected to the MCU, despite the fact that it involves a world ending type plot. Heck even the Black Knight reveal at the end, feels very awkward and out of place. I know next to nothing about this character, but I doubt he has the power to fight a Celestial, so it almost felt like a joke to me.

Archived