MCU: a very special Hawkeye Christmas…

Ser Scot A Ellison

10 minutes ago, sifth said:

I know next to nothing about this character, but I doubt he has the power to fight a Celestial, so it almost felt like a joke to me.

That is part of the problem isn't it- really, no-one we've seen so far, good or villainous, has the power to fight a Celestial without infinity stones. That isn't off-the-bat a bad thing, Marvel comics has ridiculously over-powered villains all the time, working out how to beat them is a lot of the fun - but it doesn't really feel like there's a plan here (and in any case as Mormont implied and I kinda mentioned earlier, they've dummified/demystified the Celestials anyway). And since they're already setting up at least two or three potential major villains for the next phase or two, plus other probably smaller ones, Arashem's in a queue for attention. I mean fuck, he's probably behind Fin Fang Foom in the line here.  

24 minutes ago, sifth said:

I do worry there will be a lot of that type of writing, in order to make the Eternals fit into the larger MCU. Sure they talk about the Avengers and Thor, in this film; but that aside this movie feels very disconnected to the MCU, despite the fact that it involves a world ending type plot. Heck even the Black Knight reveal at the end, feels very awkward and out of place. I know next to nothing about this character, but I doubt he has the power to fight a Celestial, so it almost felt like a joke to me.

Yeah I couldn't help but wonder what his plan was after "pick up the magic sword." I don't know much about the character either, but I doubt it grants him a spaceship. 

Okay...so here's a thought...Knowhere is supposed to be the head of a Celestial I believe...maybe back in the day, it was the Eternals of Titan...Mentor and Surisan and so forth...who killed that Celestial and gained their freedom and that's how they were able to start families and such leading to Thanos and Eros...

7 hours ago, polishgenius said:

And since they're already setting up at least two or three potential major villains for the next phase or two, plus other probably smaller ones, Arashem's in a queue for attention. I mean fuck, he's probably behind Fin Fang Foom in the line here.  

Haven't watched any of the Marvel stuff after Endgame but who are the 2 or 3 villain candidates you reference? Kang, Arashem? and maybe Galactus?

16 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Haven't watched any of the Marvel stuff after Endgame but who are the 2 or 3 villain candidates you reference? Kang, Arashem? and maybe Galactus?

Potentially Scarlet Witch, depending on how they decide to move with developments from WandaVision, but we also know Fantastic Four are on the way so Doom must be too (I'd assume Doom arrives before Galactus). 

Plus we've got Secret Invasion coming so there are presumably some villainous Skrulls. That might just be dealt with within that series but it might also set them up as a longer-term foe - especially since the Fantastic Four are on their way. 

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Plus we've got Secret Invasion coming so there are presumably some villainous Skrulls. That might just be dealt with within that series but it might also set them up as a longer-term foe - especially since the Fantastic Four are on their way. 

I've read that Secret Invasion is going to be a more self contained show. I mean that could always change, but that's how I remember them describing it in an interview, a few months back.

Unless I’m missing something I don’t see why we can’t take it that Arashem makes his Eternals in one way and another Celestial, the one responsible for the Eternals of Titan, makes theirs a different way.

I checked on the state of play in the comics and it seems that at the moment Thanos is not only an Eternal but currently the Prime Eternal of Earth and has got himself hooked up to the immortality engine all the other Eternals run off. They originally thought his deviant gene excluded him but apparently not.

The film definitely has gone a different direction from the idea that Eternals and Deviants come from the same ‘genetic stock.’ As far as I remember in the film the Deviants were from the dark before the creation of the universe, or something, unless that’s one of the things Arashem was lying about.

This probably isn't the right thread... but clearly we all watched Eternals on Disney+; so I'm going to co-opt it for a question...

There has been some lament that D+ tows the ultimate family friendly line a bit too closely over in the Boba Fett thread and some here as well.

With Disney now owning the Fox catalogue... where will they put out all of that content?  I started thinking of this today when I caught a glimpse of all the seasons of 24 in their DVD sleeves on my shelf downstairs.  It was the show that introduced me to the concept of binge watching with the DVD release.  But is there anywhere on the D+ platform to host shows like 24, Married With Children, Martin, In Living Color, Prison Break, etc?  

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

This probably isn't the right thread... but clearly we all watched Eternals on Disney+; so I'm going to co-opt it for a question...

There has been some lament that D+ tows the ultimate family friendly line a bit too closely over in the Boba Fett thread and some here as well.

With Disney now owning the Fox catalogue... where will they put out all of that content?  I started thinking of this today when I caught a glimpse of all the seasons of 24 in their DVD sleeves on my shelf downstairs.  It was the show that introduced me to the concept of binge watching with the DVD release.  But is there anywhere on the D+ platform to host shows like 24, Married With Children, Martin, In Living Color, Prison Break, etc?  

I think they already put their M-rated stuff on Hulu.

52 minutes ago, john said:

Unless I’m missing something I don’t see why we can’t take it that Arashem makes his Eternals in one way and another Celestial, the one responsible for the Eternals of Titan, makes theirs a different way.

Depends.  Originally there were different Celestials for different things.  It isn't out of the realm of possibility.  The MCU certainly has a number of ways to play things...

55 minutes ago, Rhom said:

In Europe there’s like a section on Disney plus for more adult shows that they’re calling ‘Star.’ 24 and Prison Break are on it as well as more harmless shows like Scrubs or Blackish, the kind of thing that would be on Hulu, I imagine, if we had that.

1 hour ago, john said:

As far as I remember in the film the Deviants were from the dark before the creation of the universe, or something, unless that’s one of the things Arashem was lying about.

Pretty sure he said at one point that he made them too, first, as creatures to eat all the apex predators on the planets that might threaten sentience, but with a flaw that made them go wild and do that themselves, and then sent the Eternals to correct the mistake.

That's why the big Deviant guy was like oh yeah we're both tools. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Pretty sure he said at one point that he made them too, first, as creatures to eat all the apex predators on the planets that might threaten sentience, but with a flaw that made them go wild and do that themselves, and then sent the Eternals to correct the mistake.

That's why the big Deviant guy was like oh yeah we're both tools. 

I thought the movie would have been a little better if the main Deviant ended up helping them at the end once he realized that some of the Eternals were trying to stop the emergence instead of just existing so that Angelina Jolie could have a badass moment.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Yea as above, we get it in the app under the ‘Star’ section.

I’ve always been a bit confused why people rule out Disney making more adult stuff, but then in the UK the whole concept of networks making certain types of shows is much less pronounced. Considering I can click on the Disney app and watch someone getting tortured on 24, and considering they own Marvel who already commissioned the Marvel series via Netflix, why not just skip some steps and make those kind of shows themselves? Surely the Netflix stuff can’t be the only adult stuff we’ll ever get?

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

I just saw that Gaspard Uliel who plays Midnight Man in Moon Knight died in a ski accident today.

My wife and son are both ski patrollers, and knowing the kind of accidents they see....my immediate thought is "I bet he wasn't wearing a helmet."

Got around to actually watching Eternals last night instead of just reading you guys talking about it.  It was...ok, don't have much to add.  Definitely felt like Zhao could have made a much more interesting movie if she didn't have to conform to MCU conventions/integrate it into the MCU.  Oh, and calling the virus/whatever Thena gets "mad weary" - spelled mahd wy'ry?  Sounds like some silly shit out of Harry Potter.

4 hours ago, briantw said:

I thought the movie would have been a little better if the main Deviant ended up helping them at the end once he realized that some of the Eternals were trying to stop the emergence instead of just existing so that Angelina Jolie could have a badass moment.

Yeah this was striking for me too - and another example of the MCU's recent habit of starting to go down some interesting and (for them) less trodden paths only to abandon it at the end.

Anyway, thinking about this Thanos as eternal/deviant/both discussion, what stood out to me is how seamlessly Thanos' actions could be explained by him being another renegade eternal.  He finds out what Arishem's real plan for Titan is a la Sersi and Ajak, then his response to try to stop the emergence is to half the population - a very intuitive solution.  Due to his failure, he tries to do this on other planets, but due to lack of information on precisely which planets actually have celestial eggs (or whatever you wanna call it), he pursues the opportunity to half the population for all planets.  

Of course, Titan still being around in Infinity War throws a big wrench into that explanation - definitely got the impression earth would be completely obliterated if Tiamut..emerged.  But other than that I'm having a hard time coming up with any other inconsistencies.  Ajak even explicitly states Thanos delayed the emergence.

Archived