MCU: a very special Hawkeye Christmas…

Ser Scot A Ellison

6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

This article places Hawkeye after Eternals:

https://thedirect.com/article/mcu-timeline-eternals-disney-plus

That doesn’t make sense… does it?

Just because there isn't a 24hr news cycle all the way to Christmas about the giant hand in the Indian Ocean doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

The news covered it, most people said eh just another Tuesday in our crazy universe and moved on.

Yeah, the major cable news channels only do about 4 hours of climate change coverage a year.  What's to discuss about a giant alien corpse?  People want to forget about the existential threats and other things they can't wrap their minds around.

44 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Just because there isn't a 24hr news cycle all the way to Christmas about the giant hand in the Indian Ocean doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

The news covered it, most people said eh just another Tuesday in our crazy universe and moved on.

The planet sized alien showing up next to Earth?  “Meh… we survived the Snap/Blip”?

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The planet sized alien showing up next to Earth?  “Meh… we survived the Snap/Blip”?

That one was so quick I would not be surprised if people thought or at least hoped that it was a hallucination and chose to move one. :laugh:

Finally watched Eternals and read over what you guys said.  I liked that it didn't follow the format that we've been bemoaning.  As someone mentioned, even the heel turn made sense and he wasn't alone either.  Three of them went that way with their own motivations.  I liked that it was a legit conflict without an easy answer and the solution wasn't just waves of CGI cannon fodder.  

24 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

That one was so quick I would not be surprised if people thought or at least hoped that it was a hallucination and chose to move one. :laugh:

A “hallucination” that everyone who was outside on a clear day happened to see at the same time?

;)

Regular folk in the MCU would have seen some absolutely wild headlines over the years with New York repeatedly being ravaged by aliens and doomsday robot AIs, a colossal floating city (even bigger than the colossal floating aircraft carriers and colossal floating worms over Manhattan), half of all life disappearing, then reappearing. A big hand in the water is just another Tuesday.

Logistics in comic book movies don't have to make sense. I think in every Marvel writers room or think tank, a common phrase is "Guys it really doesn't matter. Next scene!"

I don’t see the problem really, Eternals is probably a few months before Hawkeye at least. Is it gonna be on the news every day, “we still don’t know what the fuck that was”? 

I think it’s something like:

Endgame April 2023

WandaVision a few weeks after

Falcon and the WS a few months after that

Shang Chi and Eternals some indeterminate time after that

Far From Home Jun-Sep 2024

No Way Home Sep-Dec 2024

Hawkeye Dec 2024

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

If it doesn't happen in and around NYC, it doesn't matter, obvs.

I mean, to a certain point you just have to accept that individual films/series don't directly interact with each other unless there's good plot reason to. Like, you could question how come Doctor Strange didn't show up immediately to deal with the kind of cosmic existential threat that is the Sorcerer Supreme's rationale for existing.

Anyway, once they started getting the band back together it got off the ground a bit. A lot of the writing was still ropey in terms of exposition/motivation etc, but there was enough good character stuff around that that I could deal with it. I actually thought they did quite a good job building the relationships between them considering the time they had, and yeah, the heel turn worked well enough.

I agree with those saying the big deviant was just not well done. I would agree with Wert that this would have been better as two films, and they could easily have utilised that character to do so. The first film being a fight against the returning deviants, and at the end the big guy revealing the truth to the Eternals who didn't know, and that setting up film 2, with the internal fighting and the race to stop Tiamat. 

One thing I didn't love about it as an adaptation: I don't know how the Celestials are always portrayed, but in the Gaiman version and a couple of other times their motivations are more ineffable and portrayed as completely beyond our undertanding. Didn't dig what they did here. It made the Celestials ffeel a bit prosaic, and also the universe feel more mechanical and less mysterious, never a direction I enjoy.

12 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I mean, to a certain point you just have to accept that individual films/series don't directly interact with each other unless there's good plot reason to. Like, you could question how come Doctor Strange didn't show up immediately to deal with the kind of cosmic existential threat that is the Sorcerer Supreme's rationale for existing.

Except... Strange isn't the Sorcerer Supreme and Wong is probably off staging bets on Abomination. :lol: 

14 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Anyway, once they started getting the band back together it got off the ground a bit. A lot of the writing was still ropey in terms of exposition/motivation etc, but there was enough good character stuff around that that I could deal with it. I actually thought they did quite a good job building the relationships between them considering the time they had, and yeah, the heel turn worked well enough.

I agree with those saying the big deviant was just not well done. I would agree with Wert that this would have been better as two films, and they could easily have utilised that character to do so. The first film being a fight against the returning deviants, and at the end the big guy revealing the truth to the Eternals who didn't know, and that setting up film 2, with the internal fighting and the race to stop Tiamat. 

One thing I didn't love about it as an adaptation: I don't know how the Celestials are always portrayed, but in the Gaiman version and a couple of other times their motivations are more ineffable and portrayed as completely beyond our undertanding. Didn't dig what they did here. It made the Celestials ffeel a bit prosaic, and also the universe feel more mechanical and less mysterious, never a direction I enjoy.

The thing that also strikes me as odd. If Arsheim’s only purpose in sending the Eternals to Earth was to midwife Tiamat’s birth… it was awfully cool about being defied.  

Pretty clearly there is something other path here or Arsheim would have crushed its wayward servants without hesitation when it arrived at Earth.

Was there a dedicated Eternals thread when it came out that people posted in? Around this board for a decade and a half and I still suck at using the search feature!  :lol: 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Was there a dedicated Eternals thread when it came out that people posted in? Around this board for a decade and a half and I still suck at using the search feature!  :lol: 

The built in search feature sucks. It's easier to use google's site search feature. Something like:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fasoiaf.westeros.org%2Findex.php%3F%2Fforum%2F17-entertainment%2F+Eteranals

It seems there was not a thread?

Two more thoughts I had on Eternals:

Spoiler

If Timat had just started emerging in open water instead of that island they'd be fucked, right? Since only Ikarus can fly.

...How is Thanos's brother a robot?

12 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Two more thoughts I had on Eternals:

Hide contents

If Timat had just started emerging in open water instead of that island they'd be fucked, right? Since only Ikarus can fly.

...How is Thanos's brother a robot?

Spoiler

I think the idea is that it's a new volcanic island caused by Tiamat forcing its way up from below. 

The Eternals aren't really supposed to be robots, though their origin is another thing that was a little simplified here (they've always been artificial beings, though). Current comics canon is that the Titans are an offshoot of Eternals, and Thanos looks like he does because he's got Deviant dna as well. That wasn't always true and I don't think it's been the case for all that long, but I assume that's what they're going for.  

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I think Strange not showing up is the most glaring in Wandavision.  Maybe he really hates the turnpike, but Bleecker Street is pretty damn close.

That's hand wavable in that Wanda was using her powers to mask the whole thing from folks like Strange.  Heck, the whole bubble itself wasn't really being investigated and/or noticed until Agent Woo started looking for his missing person (a mystery I don't think ever got solved...I assume the individual's name in Witness Protection was something like Red Herring...)

But it isn't THAT unbelievable that other Magic Folks like Strange weren't involved...though they could have been later on...but comic book reasons! 

12 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

That's hand wavable in that Wanda was using her powers to mask the whole thing from folks like Strange.  Heck, the whole bubble itself wasn't really being investigated and/or noticed until Agent Woo started looking for his missing person (a mystery I don't think ever got solved...I assume the individual's name in Witness Protection was something like Red Herring...)

Once SWORD started setting up a base outside the town, which IIRC was pretty early on/only slightly after Wanda created the thing, Strange definitely should have at least checked out what was up.

Archived