MCU: a very special Hawkeye Christmas…

Ser Scot A Ellison

3 hours ago, sologdin said:

without breaking canon

i don't get the strict canonicalism that these debates encourage regarding narratives that everyone acknowledge as manifestly false. it's not like scripture wherein having the correct texts determines whether someone is consigned to perdition. folklore and mythology accumulate with multiple variants--we have multiple variants of ancient greek stories, say, and that's totally fine.

I don’t have any idea why it bugs me. I know it shouldn’t, but it does. Part of what I love about the MCU is how internally consistent a run it’s been since 2008, basically 13 years of story running concurrently with us. Netflix/ABC shows muddy that somewhat. 

I guess a lot of it is I’m just a completionist; I’ve seen every minute of the MCU, unless those shows are canonised in which case I haven’t. I prefer solid walls to my fiction - stuff either happened or it didn’t.

You're not alone: not just on this board but across the nerdverse, you're guaranteed to get much more discussion over whether or not a story is canon than about whether it's good. Nerds like systems and definitive statements and things that are clear and organised, and hate ambiguity, would be my amateur psychology reading.

Reading, on I think Nerdist, today that the Ronin in the Maya flashback might actually be:

Spoiler

Swordsman...and I'm here for that.  Especially if they incorporate some of his background with Clint. It also works well with Maya's origins, though with a MCU spin. 

There have been a lot of rumors, and I stress rumors, about Quake/Daisy Johnson being recast for Secret Invasion. Which makes me make the face in my avatar and make me want to smash things, but I think we all knew they were going to crap over AoS eventually. 

17 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Reading, on I think Nerdist, today that the Ronin in the Maya flashback might actually be:

Hide contents

Swordsman...and I'm here for that.  Especially if they incorporate some of his background with Clint. It also works well with Maya's origins, though with a MCU spin. 

Spoiler

Confirmed according to the character entry in wikipedia (including actor)

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

Oh shit…!

https://www.cinemablend.com/interviews/kevin-feige-confirms-daredevil-casting-in-the-mcu-and-fans-will-be-pumped

This makes think it’s less likely he’s in No Way Home, or that’d be pretty odd to ruin the surprise two weeks out.

Note that's not confirming anything - all he's saying is that if Daredevil would appear, then it would be Charlie Cox playing him - there's nothing there to suggest that he actually is going to appear in anything.

1 minute ago, Denvek said:

Note that's not confirming anything - all he's saying is that if Daredevil would appear, then it would be Charlie Cox playing him - there's nothing there to suggest that he actually is going to appear in anything.

Technically yea but I would say the chances of him saying this if there weren’t plans is pretty much zero.

On 12/2/2021 at 8:17 PM, mormont said:

Nerds like systems and definitive statements and things that are clear and organised, and hate ambiguity, would be my amateur psychology reading.

With apologies to any fans of his, see also the otherwise inexplicable success of Brandon Sanderson.

7 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Oh shit…!

https://www.cinemablend.com/interviews/kevin-feige-confirms-daredevil-casting-in-the-mcu-and-fans-will-be-pumped

This makes think it’s less likely he’s in No Way Home, or that’d be pretty odd to ruin the surprise two weeks out.

Spoiler

I don't see how that photo of him on a set we see in the trailer could have been faked. Someone with access would have to be playing a joke and be quite good at photoshop.

I've re-watched the last Hawkeye episode, and I'm not entirely sold on the Kingpin = Uncle idea, though with the Daredevil news, and considering that Echo is linked with Kingpin in the comics it's entirely possible. My main two issues are:

• Visually, that hand looked a bit skinny. Kingpin was always a big boy. So I'm pretty sure that at the very least that wasn't D'Onofrio.
  • While the show has some serious moments and themes, its main tone is lighthearted. Kingpin would add a lot of darkness and brutality to the story.

I don't expect Hawkeye and Kate to even meet Fisk. I think he'll just show up at the end as a tease for what's to come. The main villain here is probably Elanor + Jack.

I saw someone elsewhere point out that Kate's dad was played by a moderately famous actor and we never saw him die. If "uncle" is anyone else it's probably him.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I don't expect Hawkeye and Kate to even meet Fisk. I think he'll just show up at the end as a tease for what's to come. The main villain here is probably Elanor + Jack.

I saw someone elsewhere point out that Kate's dad was played by a moderately famous actor and we never saw him die. If "uncle" is anyone else it's probably him.

But if he's Uncle he wouldn't have told young Maya at the judo class that "Uncle will take you home"

3 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

But if he's Uncle he wouldn't have told young Maya at the judo class that "Uncle will take you home"

No, not echo's dad. Kate Bishops dad who was arguing with her mom in the first episode and then presumed dead when the chitauri attacked.

I still think it's Fisk, even if that was a stand in and not d'onofrio. But her dead father probably does have more scenes to come.

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:
  • While the show has some serious moments and themes, its main tone is lighthearted. Kingpin would add a lot of darkness and brutality to the story.

St Simon of Callow did not get brutally sword murdered in episode 1 for you to call this show lighthearted!

ETA - seriously though. I'll be glad if they do properly address the pretty dark stuff Clint did as Ronin. There's been a distinct suggestion that they will but if they go down the 'it was Jack in the suit who murdered Echo's dad' road that will look like they're not really committing to dealing with that.

Archived