MCU: a very special Hawkeye Christmas…

Ser Scot A Ellison

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

You don’t.  Have any of the Marvel Disney+ series neatly wrapped stuff up?

Wrapped up specific stories while setting up another season? Or another show?  Sure. All three Disney+ shows have wrapped their storylines without dangling too much left from their main thrusts.  

And yeah, they'll tie things off here, but there are a lot of threads here, in the main story.  Will it be satisfactory? I hope so.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That was D’onfrio as Kingpin… wasn’t it?

Yes, as the credits confirmed a few seconds later.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I kinda need the Jonah Hill screaming gif right now...

How do you wrap any of this up with only one more episode...???

You don't, a lot of this is setup for the Echo TV series. It's unclear if there'll be a Hawkeye Season 2, but it looks possible at the moment, though it might be Stanfield only or maybe with Renner in a reduced role.

I’m on 24hr call out so I can’t go till Saturday, and it’s killing me. I need to see Spider-Man right now. :D

Great episode of Hawkeye too. Spoilers for that, not Spider-Man:

Spoiler

I’m gonna be so annoyed if they explicitly contradict the Netflix show now. It’s so unnecessary. The timeline works perfectly as I laid out before: 07-15 he’s taken a shine to Echo and tried to raise her, but his father got in the way. 15-18 Daredevil. 18-23 Kingpin isn’t blipped, arranges for Ronin to finally get rid of her father. That’s your Echo series right there; he tries to get back in her life in 2018, then she finds out he killed her father and turns against him.

1 minute ago, DaveSumm said:

I’m on 24hr call out so I can’t go till Saturday, and it’s killing me. I need to see Spider-Man right now. :D

Great episode of Hawkeye too. Spoilers for that, not Spider-Man:

Hide contents

I’m gonna be so annoyed if they explicitly contradict the Netflix show now. It’s so unnecessary. The timeline works perfectly as I laid out before: 07-15 he’s taken a shine to Echo and tried to raise her, but his father got in the way. 15-18 Daredevil. 18-23 Kingpin isn’t blipped, arranges for Ronin to finally get rid of her father. That’s your Echo series right there; he tries to get back in her life in 2018, then she finds out he killed her father and turns against him.

Spoiler

This series is taking place in 2023… isn’t it?

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:
  Hide contents

2024, actually. 

I just don't see how the Netflix version of Kingpin goes back to being a big scary secretive underground figure with a mysterious identity after the events of Darevdevil. I think they'll just use the multiverse/variants workaround to let them change whatever they want.

Some good news is that one of the leaker people who nailed all the spider-man stuff claims Karen and Foggy are coming back with the same actors too. 

40 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Some good news is that one of the leaker people who nailed all the spider-man stuff claims Karen and Foggy are coming back with the same actors too. 

That would be really great. If so, I just need Krysten Ritter's Jessica Jones and Jon Bernthal's Punisher to come back too and I'm all good.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I just don't see how the Netflix version of Kingpin goes back to being a big scary secretive underground figure with a mysterious identity after the events of Darevdevil. I think they'll just use the multiverse/variants workaround to let them change whatever they want.

Who says he has to? He’s known to the wider public now, but that doesn’t mean he can’t orchestrate some criminal stuff in the background. Plus, he announced who he was in Season 1 (random philanthropist, basically) and then went to prison not too long after, I don’t think he would really have left an impression. He’d hardly be a celebrity in Hell’s Kitchen after all the other stuff that’s happened. 

I can’t understand the appetite there is for demoting the DD series. Who is excited to see D’Onofrio, but didn’t care for DD? Isn’t that nobody? Who wants to see him playing someone slightly different, or see any of his origin retold? What would be the point, when it’s so easy to work with what we have?

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yea, what I meant was I imagine it spanning a few years. Probably child-Maya would return and we’d pick up after that glimpse of his arm, then we’d see 18-23 (i.e them both getting along) and then 24 onwards (she knows what happened, turns against him). Three very distinct periods of a relationship to portray.

I've said if before, but I'll be shocked if the MCU approach to continuity here is anything but vague and open-ended. Not saying specific events in Netflix DD happened, not saying they didn't happen. Not saying it's canon, not saying it's not. Just broad references that could fit the DD series for fans, but equally aren't detailed enough to confirm for sure that this is not just an alternative universe where somewhat similar character arcs played out. They'll keep their options open, because they don't have to do anything else.

Pugh and Steinfeld, wow. They carried what should have been a too-long exposition scene and made it one of the best things in the series. I'm not saying that Hawkeye is the best Marvel series, but it has a good shout at being the best acted.

ETA - also, Bert and Bertie who directed these last three episodes need some props. Excellent work.

Something I don’t quite follow with Yelena:

Spoiler

She gets told by Valentina that Clint killed her sister. But then she does nothing about it, but coincidentally gets hired by Kate’s mum to kill him years later, and here she is? It feels like they had something different in mind when they filmed the Black Widow post credit scene and wrote around it. Also Yelena doesn’t strike me as the type to have one person tell her Clint killed Natasha and just believe it.

I also don’t really see why this series needs to be 2024, but I’m aware that it is. October 2023 to Christmas seems like a plausible amount of time for where we find Clint doesn’t it?

1 minute ago, mormont said:

I've said if before, but I'll be shocked if the MCU approach to continuity here is anything but vague and open-ended. Not saying specific events in Netflix DD happened, not saying they didn't happen. Not saying it's canon, not saying it's not. Just broad references that could fit the DD series for fans, but equally aren't detailed enough to confirm for sure that this is not just an alternative universe where somewhat similar character arcs played out. They'll keep their options open, because they don't have to do anything else.

Exactly my thinking. I’m just asking for a teeny bit of accommodation from the writers to not accidentally put Kingpin somewhere in 2015-18 where he shouldn’t have been, which shouldn’t be at all difficult.

4 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Something I don’t quite follow with Yelena:

Hide contents

She gets told by Valentina that Clint killed her sister. But then she does nothing about it, but coincidentally gets hired by Kate’s mum to kill him years later, and here she is? It feels like they had something different in mind when they filmed the Black Widow post credit scene and wrote around it. Also Yelena doesn’t strike me as the type to have one person tell her Clint killed Natasha and just believe it.

I also don’t really see why this series needs to be 2024, but I’m aware that it is. October 2023 to Christmas seems like a plausible amount of time for where we find Clint doesn’t it?

But not plausible enough for Rogers the Musical to be put together. ;)

So really, regarding Yelena, you can't say it's years later, just one, and I'm not sure when Valentina actually recruits her.

Spoiler

Plus when does Eleanor make the contract?

40 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I can’t understand the appetite there is for demoting the DD series. Who is excited to see D’Onofrio, but didn’t care for DD? Isn’t that nobody? Who wants to see him playing someone slightly different, or see any of his origin retold? What would be the point, when it’s so easy to work with what we have?

I'm not rooting for them to dismiss Daredevil or the other Netflix shows. I liked them! I just think like if they decide for example they want Matt to meet Elektra for the first time in an upcoming movie, I think they're gonna do that and if anyone asks about it "multiverse!"

To me it seems like this Fisk is unlikely to be that exact version from Daredevil, whose been to jail twice for serious crimes. I suspect they want him to start in the MCU with a clean slate. Because otherwise if he's this known bad guy doing bad guy stuff why don't the police/Matt just bust him? I could be wrong of course. 

Archived