The Wheel of Time: Another Turning (No Book Spoilers)

Ran

Figured I'd start it. This is for those who would like to discuss the Amazon series without knowledge of or reference to book spoilers. Do not post spoilers, even in spoiler text, from the book -- use spoiler text only to delineate discussion of brand new episodes for at least a day or two after airing to allow others who watch the show later to not get spoiled.

Again, came strongly to my notice, was the Byzantine / Greek Orthodox look of the opening credits’ stained glass figures. Figured out quickly, of course, the significance of looms and thread. Wondering if in this season we'll learn to what in the narrative that rather Byzantine-Orthodox iconic art references.

As someone who started to read the Eye of the World twice and had to put it down after a few chapters (Jordan's prose wasn't my cup of tea and the story failed to grab my attention), I've enjoyed this first four episodes much more than I expected.

Perhaps the thing that's bugging me the most is that they have failed to explain (if I haven't missed anything) why Morraine believes that she'll find the Dragon in the Two Rivers, and why she decides that a given group of four or five teens are the only candidates.

Another think that they fail to explain is why the Dark One decides to send his army at the town the dame day Morraine arrives there, and why everyone seems to assume that once the group leaves, the Dark One's army will leave the town alone. How are they supposed to know that they left, to begin with?

All this confusion around how the identification of the Dragon Reborn works is, for me, a major weakness of this show's start. But once you get past that, there are plenty of things to enjoy. Acting, dialogues, pace, effects, imagery are all fine enough. And I particularly like the Aes Sadai as a group, and the dynamics between their different colors were very interesting (btw, we've seen many reds and greens, but so far the only blue seems to be Morraine. I wonder if there are other blues around that can serve as her allies).

On 11/28/2021 at 8:30 AM, BigFatCoward said:

How do the whitecloaks capture the witches? They don't appear to have any powers to speak of other than excellent laundry detergent. 

Roll.... Tide?

ETA: 

Ok, actual post.

I'd love to see non-book readers speculate on who the Dragon Reborn is. My wife and son aren't book readers and I've enjoyed their discussions (though I've opened my big mouth a few times...).

55 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I'd love to see non-book readers speculate on who the Dragon Reborn is. My wife and son aren't book readers and I've enjoyed their discussions (though I've opened my big mouth a few times...).

I'm guessing it's Rand as he is a big baby so the growth arc would be most interesting. Also he is the only one I'd heard of before starting to watch. 

Just now, Zorral said:

Commentators in the bookers' thread told us who it was, while I hadn't reached the point yet, of caring, and thus starting to speculate which one it was, or even if we'd learn in the first season.  So I rather wished they hadn't told us.  Except a whole bunch of recappers who are also bookers in other venues, also told us.   :(  Ha!

So all the misdirection is useless for anyone who reads reviews/are on social media... My wife and son don't visit places where the DR would be discussed, so are still guessing. 

30 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

So all the misdirection is useless for anyone who reads reviews/are on social media... My wife and son don't visit places where the DR would be discussed, so are still guessing. 

This is... not a surprise.

Does anyone else remember the lengths the Unsullied had to go to to avoid GoT spoilers?

27 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

This is... not a surprise.

Does anyone else remember the lengths the Unsullied had to go to to avoid GoT spoilers?

Yes.  Even though I was anything but unsullied.  :rofl:  But it does feel rather disrespectful of non-readers that the readers are so determined to argue over the books in connection with the television adaptions so immediately the episodes are shown, so the nonbookers cannot even get out of the way if they want to.  I swear some of the fanatics about the book, both pro and con, have written at least as many words pushing their arguments as RJ put into his novels.  :wideeyed:

10 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I'd love to see non-book readers speculate on who the Dragon Reborn is.

I'd like to say Mat. At least, that would be the interesting choice. But it's probably Rand.

I'd also like to say that, considering some of the stuff I read in the other thread, I am amazed at how much I'm enjoying this. I thought it was going to be shite. Watched ep 4 tonight. Can't wait for the next one.

On 11/30/2021 at 12:50 AM, Spockydog said:

I'd also like to say that, considering some of the stuff I read in the other thread, I am amazed at how much I'm enjoying this. I thought it was going to be shite. Watched ep 4 tonight. Can't wait for the next one.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it as well, after a slow start it has really picked up. Rather gutted that we are already more than halfway through.

But having been in the book thread I have no desire whatsoever to pick the books up. 

On 11/29/2021 at 11:55 AM, The hairy bear said:

Perhaps the thing that's bugging me the most is that they have failed to explain (if I haven't missed anything) why Morraine believes that she'll find the Dragon in the Two Rivers, and why she decides that a given group of four or five teens are the only candidates.

Another think that they fail to explain is why the Dark One decides to send his army at the town the dame day Morraine arrives there, and why everyone seems to assume that once the group leaves, the Dark One's army will leave the town alone. How are they supposed to know that they left, to begin with?

Yea I didn’t get this either. The general setting is high-fantasy enough that I’m happy to ascribe ‘magic’ to a lot of these things, but even if it was magic that led Morraine to the Two Rivers, I didn’t see why it then stopped short at ‘it’s definitely one of you four’ (who happen to be standing in front of me right now, huh). And if it’s magic that leads the army to them, and it’s accurate enough that they can lure the army away, why did it suddenly kick in recently? Why haven’t they always been able to locate them?

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

Yea I didn’t get this either. The general setting is high-fantasy enough that I’m happy to ascribe ‘magic’ to a lot of these things, but even if it was magic that led Morraine to the Two Rivers, I didn’t see why it then stopped short at ‘it’s definitely one of you four’ (who happen to be standing in front of me right now, huh).

The first episode did a bit of an attempt to explain how she arrived there (a line about ta'veren which isn't elaborated upon thus far in the show) and Moiraine and Lan have talked a few times about ages when discussing various candidates (the guy in the opening scene, the four she identifies, Nynaeve, Logain) so it seems that she has at least a semi specific birth date for the Dragon that she's using to narrow the field.

Archived