Best ruler of each region of the Seven Kingdoms ?

Who was the best ruler (king/queen/lord/lady/prince(ss)) that ever ruled each of the kingdoms and then regions of Westeros, from the North to Dorne, in the continent's very long history ?
What would be your reasons for putting this ruler above all the others ? What are his/her achievements to support your choices ?

2 hours ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

North: I would like to say Cregan or Theonthe Hungry Wolf, but it's either Bran the Builder or Torrhen.

I think your first instinct was right; Theon the Hungry Wolf defended House Stark and secured the North from more threats than any other king we've heard of so far. Enemies from literally all sides, and he emerged victorious almost everywhere. And yes, I know ruling isn't just about conquest or battles, but a defeat from any one of those forces would have put the North in a worse position.

4 hours ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

I would like to say Cregan or Theonthe Hungry Wolf, but it's either Bran the Builder or Torrhen.

Theon Stark is the most badass stark that ever existed. My favorite Stark. Also, the only one who won against the Andals. (Fuck the Andals).

8 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

I think your first instinct was right; Theon the Hungry Wolf defended House Stark and secured the North from more threats than any other king we've heard of so far. Enemies from literally all sides, and he emerged victorious almost everywhere. And yes, I know ruling isn't just about conquest or battles, but a defeat from any one of those forces would have put the North in a worse position.

I do prefer Theon but I said also Torrhen for his decision to bend the knee and protect his people.

7 hours ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

Interesting claim, I am usually one to defend Bloodraven but in no way was he the best ruler. Could you provide some reasons to back your choice?

Well, he was protecting the Kingdoms while the King was either reading his books or was too moody against the most dangerous threat the Targaryens had to face, themselves, and he's continued protecting the Kingdoms even as a half tree.

1 hour ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Well, he was protecting the Kingdoms while the King was either reading his books or was too moody against the most dangerous threat the Targaryens had to face, themselves, and he's continued protecting the Kingdoms even as a half tree.

true. but he still wasn't the best ruler of seven kingdoms , killing Aenys at end brought nothing for the crown but a tainted reputation and an eternal enemy in the form of all future Blackfyres ; all while he had the perfect opportunity in a willing Aenys to bring the Blackfyres and GC back into the realm.... as far as Targaryens go , Aegon I was probably the best though he did just conquer everything with dragons ... so I'd say probably Aegon III was the best of them .

My personnal picks: 

North: Torrhen or Cregan Stark

Riverlands : Benedict Justman or Kermit Tully

Vale: Sharra Arryn

Reach: Garth VII Gardener

Iron Islands: Qhorrin Hoare or Quellon Greyjoy

Dorne: Nymeria

Stormlands: Honnestly I am not sure 

Westerlands : Tyrion III Lannister 

Crownlands: Jaehaerys the 1st

6 hours ago, EggBlue said:

true. but he still wasn't the best ruler of seven kingdoms, killing Aenys at the end brought nothing for the crown but a tainted reputation and an eternal enemy in the form of all future Blackfyres; all while he had the perfect opportunity in a willing Aenys to bring the Blackfyres and GC back into the realm.... as far as Targaryens go, Aegon I was probably the best though he did just conquer everything with dragons ... so I'd say probably Aegon III was the best of them.

Maybe that was what the Blackfyres needed? To see that the Targs are not joking around and that they will go down that road to protect themselves, which would discourage any future attempt? I do like Aegon III.

1 hour ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Maybe that was what the Blackfyres needed? To see that the Targs are not joking around and that they will go down that road to protect themselves, which would discourage any future attempt? I do like Aegon III.

The Targaryens weren't joking around and it was not them who did go down that road, it was Bloodraven and this earned him to be arrested and sent to the wall for having violated guest rights and the royal parole.

Besides nothing hinted that Aenys Blackfire really did have any other intent that legally proposing and defending his claim at the great council.

28 minutes ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Besides nothing hinted that Aenys Blackfire really did have any other intent that legally proposing and defending his claim at the great council.

Thank you! For my part, I consider Aenys Blackfyre's murder to be one of the most cold-blooded moves made by any of the Targaryens. I never liked Bloodraven but that action made him a thoroughly detestable character. It irks me that he'll probably be treated as a good guy in the main story.

42 minutes ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

The Targaryens weren't joking around and it was not them who did go down that road, it was Bloodraven and this earned him to be arrested and sent to the wall for having violated guest rights and the royal parole.

It was Bloodraven's actions that proved that they were not joking around. If it wasn't for his actions the Crown would be considered too weak to act. Daeron may have been kind and gentle but his leniency gave Bittersteel his freedom. Aerys I was bookish but good for nothing more than that and Meekar already had the stigma of being a kingslayer. Bloodraven was the man who took the difficult decisions and saved the Targaryens.

47 minutes ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

He was a Blackfyre he had lost his right to rule when hisd family created so many in family civil wars. If he couldn't see that he was an idiot.

9 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

It was Bloodraven's actions that proved that they were not joking around. If it wasn't for his actions the Crown would be considered too weak to act. Daeron may have been kind and gentle but his leniency gave Bittersteel his freedom. Aerys I was bookish but good for nothing more than that and Meekar already had the stigma of being a kingslayer. Bloodraven was the man who took the difficult decisions and saved the Targaryens.

He was a Blackfyre he had lost his right to rule when hisd family created so many in family civil wars. If he couldn't see that he was an idiot.

No they didn't because the other Targaryens were appaled by this action, with Aegon V having arrested as soon as he was king, besides it wasn't sure that Aenys would have won.

And Aenys didn't lose his right because there was no law that disinherited him and his family, and he hadn't rebelled against the Targaryens, he was in his right to legally propose his claim to the throne.

15 minutes ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

No they didn't because the other Targaryens were appaled by this action, with Aegon V having arrested as soon as he was king, besides it wasn't sure that Aenys would have won.

Egg was a sweet boy but he wasn't smart enough. 

16 minutes ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

And Aenys didn't lose his right because there was no law that disinherited him and his family, and he hadn't rebelled against the Targaryens, he was in his right to legally propose his claim to the throne.

Was there a law to say that known traitors have any right?

34 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Egg was a sweet boy but he wasn't smart enough. 

Was there a law to say that known traitors have any right?

Smart enough to recognise that he couldn't let Bloodraven get away free after this breach of diplomacy and hospitality and betrayal of his word.

Besides nothing says that Aenys was really a traitor by the law since there is no trace of him having taken part in his father's and brother's rebellions.

1 hour ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Smart enough to recognise that he couldn't let Bloodraven get away free after this breach of diplomacy and hospitality and betrayal of his word.

Egg had no concept of diplomacy. That is why while he was gentle and good he wasn't a good king.

1 hour ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Besides nothing says that Aenys was a traitor by the law since there is no trace of him having taken part in his father's and brother's rebellions.

Nothing says that he could be trusted. It was idiotic from his part to go there considering his family's history.

1 minute ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Egg had no concept of diplomacy. That is why while he was gentle and good he wasn't a good king.

Nothing says that he could be trusted. It was idiotic from his part to go there considering his family's history.

He knew at least that Bloodraven's action was a grave breach of diplomacy, not only that but by betraying his word and murdering Aenys Bloodraven had discredited the Iron Throne and that he needed to arrest and punish him for that otherwise he wouldn't have any credibility and would be seen as a lawless tyrant.

Not counting that Aenys was willing to do things legally and justly wouldn't have the means of doing anything to the Targaryens upon arriving at King's Landing due to his long exile and his father and brother's rebellions and defeats meaning that he'd have no real power here. 

Plus Bloodraven could have perfectly ignored his letter or refused to allow him to go to King's Landing or he could have bet on Aenys' failure at the Council but instead he chose the treachery and murder option.

I'd give a shout-out to Meria Martell. 80 years old at the time of Aegon's Conquest and she leads the only successful resistance to the Targaryens and their dragons. She even personally threw Lord Rosby from the top of the Spear Tower.

Archived