Burnt up Martell

OldLordWalder

I've seen some theories that Quentyn Martell is in fact not dead. I feel like this is a bit of a stretch as he's clearly described as dead by Barry the bold and Missandei. However it seems to me kind of weird that GRRM would put even add this plotline to the story just to have him burnt and killed. Is there actually any evidence that he might still be alive? Or could his arc actually be to get Gerris and Arch to Mereen to fulfil some other purpose.

Lmk what you guys think 

I think he is dead. though I wouldn't call his story pointless or incomplete. he was a prince who turned into a frog. his death , like Ned's, will probably have some sad consequences:

1. the Dornish who could have been Dany's natural allies are likely to be pissed at Dany for what happened to Quent. what is more , they'll be allies with Aegon and in a position to poison Aegon's mind against Dany; just the way Quaithe is poisoning Dany's mind against Aegon. it could add to possible enmity derived from mummer's dragon vision between Dany and Aegon in the future.
  2. the immediate consequence is the war against Pentos. Quentyn has successfully won Tattered Prince over which will be beneficial to Dany in the battle of Mereen but the price is just too much. he also introduced us to the Tattered Prince and a possible plotline that ,in my view, might be related to Illyrio Mopatis's agenda and character.
  3. he released the dragons. this could be the most important thing here. first of all, dragons would show everyone the true power of Daenerys , which would be great for Dany if she decides to establish a new government in the whole region of Slaver's Bay. and , this way Victarion might do something with that dragonbinder of his. Something that might not have been possible ,if Vic didn't know where the dragons were.
  4. finally , as you mentioned, Geris and Archi might have a role to play in Mereen.. though I personally doubt it'll be that important.

PoorQuentyn of the Not A Cast Podcast has some of the best writing on Quentyn on his Tumblr that everybody should check out. Quentyn was always going to die, but his story was far from meaningless. In addition to everything @EggBlue said above, Quentyn's story is about how your decisions carry consequences. Quentyn thought he was the hero of some grand adventure. He was wrong. He was reluctant to turn back because than his friends who died would have died for nothing. He ought to have turned back. Quentyn thought he could be some sort of dragontamer, like in the songs. He got incinerated. If he'd turned back, he would have reunited with one of the Drinkwater Twins, and lived a good life. Hopefully. But Quentyn was never made out to be a hero. That's why he died.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2021 at 6:09 AM, OldLordWalder said:

I've seen some theories that Quentyn Martell is in fact not dead. I feel like this is a bit of a stretch as he's clearly described as dead by Barry the bold and Missandei. However it seems to me kind of weird that GRRM would put even add this plotline to the story just to have him burnt and killed. Is there actually any evidence that he might still be alive? Or could his arc actually be to get Gerris and Arch to Mereen to fulfil some other purpose.

Lmk what you guys think 

All I know is that if I was taking the equivalent of a flame-thrower straight to the chest, I wouldn't have to look down at my whip, my arm, all of me, to know that I was on fire. I'd be like: blast -- AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

On 11/28/2021 at 6:09 AM, OldLordWalder said:

Lmk what you guys think 

Preston Jacobs has a long theory on this.  Basically, the man who died was unrecognizable.  We also know that having a rare Targaryen gene can make a person resistant to heat and fire.  It is possible even if Q only had a minor amount of Targaryen in his blood.  Very unlikely but still remotely possible.

Gerris and Arch will pledge their houses to Dany.  

Archived