Who is the fairest of them all?

The Bard of Banefort

It's no secret that George RR Martin loves writing about beautiful women. With the exception of a few women whose unattractiveness is a focal point of their character (Brienne, Selyse, etc.) pretty much every women is described as pretty to one degree or another. This doesn't bother me; it's a fantasy series, it might as well feature a bunch of pretty people. The issue is that GRRM has a tendency to describe several different women as earth-shattering, mind-blowing, breathtakingly beautiful. Well, they can't all be the most beautiful woman on earth, especially since plenty of them are alive at the same time. It's not even like this is a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" thing, since there usually is a pretty broad consensus for all of these women. So who is the most beautiful woman in ASOIAF? 

First there's the obvious one, Daenerys.  She's the last of the dragonlords, who were so beautiful that they were regarded as closer to gods than humans. She's described as the most beautiful woman in the world, although the only POV characters who've actually seen her are Barristan and Quentyn, who don't make much mention of her looks. She's got the hair, eyes, skin, and slight frame, although she's not very buxom (unlike Cersei and Sansa, whose amazing racks are mentioned quite frequently throughout the books).

There's Arianne, the most voluptuous woman alive, whose wondrous curves, skin, and hair are described so thoroughly you'd think you're reading about some exotic animal. Unlike Daenerys and some of the other women, however, we don't hear random strangers across Westeros talking about how beautiful she is. 

Cersei is right there up at the top of the list, with her golden locks, green eyes, and aforementioned rack. Her beauty is known throughout the world, and Kevan describes young Cersei as comparable to the "rising sun." The only drawback is that weight gain and childbirth have begun to take their toll on her figure.

Catelyn, with her auburn hair and blue eyes, was fetching enough that it spawned a decades-long obsession from Littlefinger, and even young Jaime Lannister found her charming. She's not usually lusted over to the same degree as the other women on this list, however.

Sansa's chapters are an endless stream of men hitting on/fawning over/creeping on her, and her beauty is constantly mentioned by everyone from Cersei to Marillion to those hedge knights from the TWOW sample chapter. Her looks are also commented on at-length by POV characters such as Arya, Tyrion, and Theon. Even that one creep that Arya and the Hound fought at the inn mentions how pretty Sansa is, despite having never met her.

There's also Margaery, who is described as extremely pretty by Cat, Tyrion, and Jaime, but not to the same degree as the others.

Pretty Pia was described as quite attractive despite being lowborn, although the Mountain and his goons left her physically scarred.

Val is a "warrior princess" with full breasts and a slim waist, lovely eyes and honey-blonde hair that always looks perfect despite living in a tundra. She hasn't met many POV characters yet, but is attractive enough that Selyse's men have clearly talked about her among themselves.

Melisandre is beautiful in a fantastical, somewhat mythical way. If anything, her beauty seems to intimidate people more than it awes them.

Then there are the previous generations. . . 

Everyone wanted a piece of Ashara, including Barristan and the Stark brothers. With her dark hair and purple eyes, people are still enchanted by her twenty years after her (alleged) death.

Then there's Lyanna, ASOIAF's ultimate Cool Girl. Not only was she a tomboy who stood up to bullies and fought better than the boys, she was also so pretty that Bobby B still can't get over her fifteen years later, and Rhaegar (who may have been the fairest of them all himself, now that I think about it) abandoned his wife and children and started a war to run off and play house with her.

Viserra Targaryen was described as the most beautiful of Jaehaerys and Alysanne's six daughters who lived to adulthood, and was regarded as a "goddess" by some of the boys who met her. 

Shiera Seastar was described as the greatest beauty of her era, igniting the lifelong rivalry between Bloodraven and Bittersteel, although we have yet to meet her.

So which of these exceptionally beautiful women is actually the most beautiful woman? More importantly, which woman needs to be the most beautiful for her story to work? As of now, I would say the answer is Dany and Cersei. Dany's Valyrian beauty adds to her mystique and mythology as the conquering queen and mother of dragons. For Cersei, her appearance is integral to her sense of self and vanity, plus it emphasizes her downfall (and the downfall of Tywin's carefully crafted façade) from the impervious golden queen to whatever inglorious end awaits her. If Sansa is the third of the "three queens" that Littlefinger mentions, then beauty would be as valuable a resource for her as it is as it is for Dany. 

What are your thoughts? Did I forget anyone?

who is actually the fairest of them all?...(let me ask my mirror and all..)... I think in the current story it's Daenerys. not only there are talks of her beauty in the world ,her brother Rhaegar is described as extremely handsome in various ways by any POV who cares to describe his looks. I imagine his sister shares that breathtaking beauty. in Ned's dead generation , the fairest woman must be Ashara Dayne with her "haunting" eyes. but, Shiera Seastar seemed to possess both the godly beauty of Targaryens and the magical otherworldly beauty that someone like Red Mel might have.

who needs beauty?...I quite agree with you . Dany and Cersei need it a lot. though Cersei has already lost her golden crown and thus ought to find something else to define herself with.. just like her twin. still, in such a world -south of the wall- women all need beauty to a certain extent , especially the ones who need supporters. women's beauty and looks ( including outfits) not only wins them men aweing around them , but it also makes them allegeable in a way. we saw Rhaeneara Targaryen who was the Realms Delight worrying about her aging , her weigh and her lost beauty;sadly rightfully so since we read the Lannisters who were among her admirer going to Greens' side...moreover a goddess like figure would have had more supporters amongst the smallfolk.  beauty for women is like men's warrior skills. therefore , women like Arianne , Sansa and Margery who are just starting to style themselves as women in power need beauty or at least a "glamour" of it done by clothes and jewels.

I don't know about any objective judgements, but in my own personal opinion it's gotta be Arianne. Based on the absolutely exhaustive lengths that Martin goes to describe her physical appearance, I think he probably agrees too. Arianne is like a check-list of every single thing I find attractive in a woman. I certainly do not blame poor Ser Arys for dishonouring his vows.

2 hours ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Alysanne Blackwood, the Realm's Delight, even Arya in the future. If I had to chose I would say either Ashara or Val.

Yeah, I didn’t include Arya because we haven’t gotten much description of her appearance recently, but it sounds like she’s growing into a beautiful woman.

I think Shiera Seastar is probably the most beautiful woman in westeros ever. The way Martin describes her and men's behavior around her says a lot.

"Shiera was born with one dark blue eye and one bright green one, but the singers said that this flaw only accentuated her loveliness. She was the greatest beauty of her age, a slender and elegant woman, slim of waist and full of breast. She had the silver-gold hair of the Targaryens, thick and curling, and wore it very long. At some points in her life it fell well below her waist, almost to the back of her knees. She had a heart-shaped face, full lips, and her mismatched eyes were strangely large and full of mischief; her rivals said she used them to melt men's hearts. Even at an early age, she was a great reader. She spoke a dozen tongues and surrounded herself with ancient scrolls. Like her mother, she was reputed to practice the dark arts. Though she never wed, she had many offers, and several lovers through the years. Duels were fought over the right to sit beside her, men killed themselves after falling from her favor, poets outdid each other writing songs about her beauty.Her most ardent admirer was her half-brother, Bloodraven, who proposed marriage to her half a hundred times. Shiera gave him her bed, but never her hand. It amused her more to make him jealous."

Personally, I L-O-V-E Daena the Defiant. Her beauty, her personality, her drama. I want know more about her in Fire and Blood part 2.

Daenerys Targaryen is the most beautiful woman in the world. The Targaryens are unrivaled in Westeros in this regard. There will be others in Lys who will have the Valyrian look and it is possible for them to look as beautiful as Daenerys. After all, 21 is supposedly the peak of beauty. A 21 year old Lyseni with Valyrian looks would indeed be stunning.

Symmetry is beauty. Shiera’s eyes are detracting from hers. 

Ashara takes the top spot among the Non-Targaryen and Non-Valyrian women. 

13 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Yeah, I didn’t include Arya because we haven’t gotten much description of her appearance recently, but it sounds like she’s growing into a beautiful woman.

I said Arya because she looks like Lyanna and we know that Lyanna was beautiful.

57 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

I said Arya because she looks like Lyanna and we know that Lyanna was beautiful.

I was thinking of that quote in ASOS (I think it was from Lady Smallwood?) when Arya tells her that the dress she made was pretty and she tells Arya “so are you.” 

Assuming they reunite at some point, I could also see Sansa commenting that Arya has grown into a beautiful young woman and that taking her aback.

2 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Daenerys Targaryen is the most beautiful woman in the world. The Targaryens are unrivaled in Westeros in this regard. There will be others in Lys who will have the Valyrian look and it is possible for them to look as beautiful as Daenerys. After all, 21 is supposedly the peak of beauty. A 21 year old Lyseni with Valyrian looks would indeed be stunning.

Symmetry is beauty. Shiera’s eyes are detracting from hers. 

Ashara takes the top spot among the Non-Targaryen and Non-Valyrian women. 

Dany is definitely one of the top contenders, although in retrospect, it is a little odd that neither Barristan or Quentyn make note of her looks (that I recall) in their chapters.

46 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I was thinking of that quote in ASOS (I think it was from Lady Smallwood?) when Arya tells her that the dress she made was pretty and she tells Arya “so are you.” 

Assuming they reunite at some point, I could also see Sansa commenting that Arya has grown into a beautiful young woman and that taking her aback.

Dany is definitely one of the top contenders, although in retrospect, it is a little odd that neither Barristan or Quentyn make note of her looks (that I recall) in their chapters.

Dany is a bit too slim and androgynous for me, and when we first meet her, she's....12, and looks younger.

As a middle aged man, I'd probably find Catelyn, Septa Lemore,  or Barbrey Dustin the most attractive.

Archived