Who is the fairest of them all?

The Bard of Banefort

55 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Dany is a bit too slim and androgynous for me, and when we first meet her, she's....12, and looks younger.

As a middle aged man, I'd probably find Catelyn, Septa Lemore,  or Barbrey Dustin the most attractive.

Hmm Barbrey? That’s an interesting one.

Storywise, I think Dany is painted as the most beautiful. Cersei is a second, though she is fading. And Sansa is close to her (might be biased here, because I find red hair beautiful).

As for previous generations, Shiera Seastar is certainly one of the most beautiful. Her mismatched eyes add uniqueness to her appearance, which I think enhances her beauty. She clearly stands out. 

Ashara is another beauty. I always imagined her with a somewhat sad look in her eyes, which would make her more mysterious. 

Fairest would imply "most beautiful."  So this lady will have to have classical beauty and perfection.  That would deny those who have physical flaws and limit the answers.  Classic beauty is like Grace Kelly and Gwyneth Paltrow.  That would be Daenerys Targaryen.  She is the Fairest of them all.

"Hot" on the other hand does not require perfection.  An otherwise unattractive person can be "hot" if they possess a quality that causes a physiological response in the evaluator.  I do not care for Arianne but another guy who prefers some of her physical attributes and do not care about the rest would find her hot.  

Lyanna is a wildcard. I genuinely have no idea what wild beauty is, and how it ranks against beautiful beauty. I have no idea why Arya is/was considered plain, but 'everyone' said Lyanna was beautiful. Or why 'horse-faced' and 'long-faced' are generally used in a way to mean not at all beautiful (e.g. Waynwoods), but somehow Lyanna escapes all this despite her classic Stark looks. :dunno:

6 hours ago, Springwatch said:

Lyanna is a wildcard. I genuinely have no idea what wild beauty is, and how it ranks against beautiful beauty. I have no idea why Arya is/was considered plain, but 'everyone' said Lyanna was beautiful. Or why 'horse-faced' and 'long-faced' are generally used in a way to mean not at all beautiful (e.g. Waynwoods), but somehow Lyanna escapes all this despite her classic Stark looks. :dunno:

Arya is an exaggerated Stark look. Horseface is not a flattering look for a human child. Cute on a donkey but unattractive in a girl. Arya can grow out of it but I doubt it. Good looks is not necessary for her. 

1 minute ago, Paul Serone said:

Arya is an exaggerated Stark look. Horseface is not a flattering look for a human child. Cute on a donkey but unattractive in a girl. Arya can grow out of it but I doubt it. Good looks is not necessary for her. 

Indeed. I have no idea why Ned and Lady Ravella say that Arya (and Lyanna, effectively) she's pretty. Evidently no one's ever seen a horse's face. 

Besides, she can get good looks from a face. 

23 hours ago, Springwatch said:

Lyanna lacked the traditional feminine beauty that women like Cersei and Catelyn did. The Starks and other northerners' horse-faced or long-faced is a face where the bottom (below the eyes to the chin) is longer than the top. Celebrities like Keanu Reeves, Bella Hadid and Gisele Bündchen have a face like that.

Catelyn thought Brandon Stark was very handsome, but his brother Ned, who also had a horse-faced, paled in comparison to him. Arya has a southern beauty like Sansa as sister and is constantly compared to her. Lyanna didn't have that problem, and also puberty can work miracles, so she was Winterfell beauty queen.

Ned and Robert said she was beautiful. Arya thinks everyone — probably her father and the Northerners who knew Lyanna — had said her aunt was beautiful, but apparently Northern beauty wasn't much appreciated south of Westeros.

When Queen Alysanne visited Winterfell, Lord Stark said his wife bore him a daughter as beautiful as a Southern girl. This comment suggests that northern girls are low in Westeros beauty rank. Kevan Lannister thinks Lyanna was a wild beauty, but when compared to Cersei the northern girl paled. Maester Yandel says Lyanna didn't have the delicate beauty of Elia Martell and was boyish young thing.

So I think Lyanna was beautiful to some like Visenya was, but not to everyone as someone as tradicionally beautiful as Sansa and Rhaenys would be.

Models are usually tall. If you look at their face proportionality, it is usually long. Another thing that you rarely see is straight on, symmetrical beauty shots. Pick up a magazine and have a look:) Part of the act is to make the “ smizing” face and know the angles. 

On 11/30/2021 at 7:49 PM, Jaenara Belarys said:

Indeed. I have no idea why Ned and Lady Ravella say that Arya (and Lyanna, effectively) she's pretty. Evidently no one's ever seen a horse's face. 

Besides, she can get good looks from a face. 

Talk about getting a facial. Hannibal Lecter style. It is gross.  

9 hours ago, Odej said:

Lyanna lacked the traditional feminine beauty that women like Cersei and Catelyn did. The Starks and other northerners' horse-faced or long-faced is a face where the bottom (below the eyes to the chin) is longer than the top. Celebrities like Keanu Reeves, Bella Hadid and Gisele Bündchen have a face like that.

Catelyn thought Brandon Stark was very handsome, but his brother Ned, who also had a horse-faced, paled in comparison to him. Arya has a southern beauty like Sansa as sister and is constantly compared to her. Lyanna didn't have that problem, and also puberty can work miracles, so she was Winterfell beauty queen.

Ned and Robert said she was beautiful. Arya thinks everyone — probably her father and the Northerners who knew Lyanna — had said her aunt was beautiful, but apparently Northern beauty wasn't much appreciated south of Westeros.

When Queen Alysanne visited Winterfell, Lord Stark said his wife bore him a daughter as beautiful as a Southern girl. This comment suggests that northern girls are low in Westeros beauty rank. Kevan Lannister thinks Lyanna was a wild beauty, but when compared to Cersei the northern girl paled. Maester Yandel says Lyanna didn't have the delicate beauty of Elia Martell and was boyish young thing.

So I think Lyanna was beautiful to some like Visenya was, but not to everyone as someone as tradicionally beautiful as Sansa and Rhaenys would be.

Keanu (don’t know the others) is within normal. I suspect the Starks are on the extreme end of long. It is a prominent look. The North has a look of its own. The Starks are on the extreme of those qualities. Lyanna was less extreme and could have other features to compensate. She is slim. Arya can look similar but she is no clone. Her looks thematically binds her to Jon, Lyanna, and Ned. They belong to the North and the Ice. Lyanna’s body is in the north. Ned’s bones are on their way north. Jon and Arya will also rest in the north. Lyanna betrayed her engagement, Jon his duties, Ned betrayed somebody, and Arya betrayed the faceless men. 

• 4 weeks later...

Currently, Val is the most beautiful women alive in the series until another is introduced. Remember, Jon has seen Cersei and Val both so can make a comparison between the two. Danaerys is a Valyrian, but not the only one to have ever existed, she is just another Targaryen. Many of the highborn and some low from both the NW and Stannis' host who have seen Val would most certainly have also seen Targaryens while they were still rulers of Westeros and Targaryens aren't the only Valyrians in Westeros either, Stannis has Valyrian bannermen, Celtigar and Velaryon and members of his host would most certainly have also seen Celtigar and Velaryon women in feasts, tourneys etc. And though we have never seen them, some of the women with Selyse's may also be of Valyrian stock since there are still Velaryon's with Stannis so she may have Velaryon ladies in wait and she may have dragonspawn servants from Dragonstone. No matter how you handle it, Val is more beautiful than her unless Danaerys is exceptional in beauty even by Valyrian standarts.

Back when she was alive, Shiera Seastar was probably the most beautiful and Ashara, I think, was likely the most attractive in her day.

On 12/1/2021 at 11:35 AM, Odej said:

The Northern look is disagreeable to southern taste.  The long, unending chin is not beautiful when proportion, symmetry, are taken into consideration.  I wonder how little Elmar Frey would have felt if he had gotten to meet Arya before Walder made the deal. 

Archived