Who is the fairest of them all?

The Bard of Banefort

19 hours ago, EggBlue said:

maybe Val dies and leaves a widowed cousin Jon for Sansa!

But I must say, a few years ago I did believe Val would marry Jon but then  die, possibly while giving birth.

"Do you blame me, my lord? Such a prize is not easily won. A nubile girl, I hear, and not hard to look upon. Good hips, good breasts, well made for whelpingchildren."

But then I remembered this line.

19 hours ago, EggBlue said:

it's CERSEI! it's the most complement you'd get!:D

I feel bad for the poor bastard who tells Cersei they hope she has a good day. 

"Hi, Cersei, hope you have a good day!"

"Ha, thanks!" How dare you speak to me like that, insolent brat?! I'll have your head off!

1 hour ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

I feel bad for the poor bastard who tells Cersei they hope she has a good day. 

"Hi, Cersei, hope you have a good day!"

"Ha, thanks!" How dare you speak to me like that, insolent brat?! I'll have your head off!

For all the talk of Cersei’s misogyny, at the end of the day she’s an extreme misanthrope. She hates everyone, even the people she claims to like. 

4 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

For all the talk of Cersei’s misogyny, at the end of the day she’s an extreme misanthrope. She hates everyone, even the people she claims to like. 

That's a fair point. But I'd argue that while Cersei resents men for having the kind of social capital and power she craves, she utterly despises women for being apparently weak or submissive. Other women remind Cersei of what she hates and fears about herself, so they are special targets for her contempt in ways men aren't.

On 1/9/2022 at 6:55 PM, Nathan Stark said:

That's a fair point. But I'd argue that while Cersei resents men for having the kind of social capital and power she craves, she utterly despises women for being apparently weak or submissive. Other women remind Cersei of what she hates and fears about herself, so they are special targets for her contempt in ways men aren't.

I agree. I would also add that Cersei despises women because she resents being lumped in the same category as them. She thinks herself much superior to all the other women she knows and cannot bear that they have the same social status as she does. Which makes her especially nasty with women. She has some grudging respect for men, absolutely none for women whom she considers weak, much weaker than herself. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sansa does seem to parallel Ashara at Harrenhal a bit in the Alayne sample chapter—everyone wants to dance with her, the men are all fawning over her at the expense of the other girls (poor Myranda). I doubt this tourney will end with a pregnancy, but I’m sure it’ll go off the rails in some way.

Now here’s the real question: which of these ladies is GRRM’s personal dream girl, Dany or Arianne? :P

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Now here’s the real question: which of these ladies is GRRM’s personal dream girl, Dany or Arianne? :P

If we just choose from these two, it's definitely Arianne. Because she does have something that Dany lacks and that George is clearly very fond of :P

7 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Sansa does seem to parallel Ashara at Harrenhal a bit in the Alayne sample chapter—everyone wants to dance with her, the men are all fawning over her at the expense of the other girls (poor Myranda). I doubt this tourney will end with a pregnancy, but I’m sure it’ll go off the rails in some way.

Arianne :) 

@Mordred why should Dany have it all?! Azor Ahai , Queen of Westeros , Fairest , Wisest of them all,.... not that I think she's any of them but for the love of god leave something for the other characters! 

On 1/24/2022 at 4:08 PM, EggBlue said:

Arianne :) 

@Mordred why should Dany have it all?! Azor Ahai , Queen of Westeros , Fairest , Wisest of them all,.... not that I think she's any of them but for the love of god leave something for the other characters! 

Dany is just your run  of the mill valyrian, nothing special about her at all. Plenty of pure Valyrians still alive and kicking in Volantis and Lys.

Val is logically the most beautiful of the characters we’ve seen.

Just gonna toss Serra’s name in to the mix. We don’t get much info about her, just a picture in a locket of a woman with big blue eyes and pale gold hair; but I’m guessing she had to be quite the beauty in order to go from working in a Lysene pillow house to the wife of Illyrio Mopatis. The man was willing to break ties with the prince of pentos to wed her… and keeps her stone hands in his bedroom (kinda gross and weird but ok). 

In a fairytale style GRRM still leaves it to us to puzzle out who the fairest might be - via Cersei‘s prophecy. The younger and more beautiful in comparison to herself brings Cersei up against Margaery and soon against Daenerys. But both of these women wouldn’t be interested into taking away Jaime on the first hand. It’s fair to say that whoever accomplished this is more beautiful than Cersei - and needed her looks. Brienne is observed and compared quite a bit by Jaime. So this is what we have after Cersei, the fabled beauty of Westeros.

I agree with many of you, that Arianne, and also Asha very much, make up adorable visions for the reader - only it won’t make much of a point narratively. They are so socially skilled and confident, they wouldn’t even need their formidable looks to bring anyone to their side.

Meera Reed, though: practical skills, massive resilience and unwavering kindness. She easily is the most underrated beauty of the series in my view so far.

3 hours ago, Haus Berlin said:

In a fairytale style GRRM still leaves it to us to puzzle out who the fairest might be - via Cersei‘s prophecy.

Younger, more beautiful queen means just that, a younger queen that is also more beautiful. It doesn't mean the fairest woman, it is just a more beautiful queen, it doesn't include all the other highborn ladies who aren't queens, let alone all the common folk or free folk women. It may not even be the most beautiful queen either, just one that is more beautiful than Cersei, who is, I must say, fading in beauty day by day.

Archived