Yellowjackets (Showtime series / spoilers)

RumHam

I know at least two of us posted about this in the Watched/watching thread but is anyone else loving this show so far? I was going to wait and binge it but then I started to worry it'd might be cancelled if more people didn't tune in so I signed up for Showtime. The pilot is on youtube:

It reminds me of LOST, except the flashbacks are to the plane crash times. I'm not really sure it's realistic that no one found them for nineteen months since they're just in Canada, not on some magic island. But I've really been enjoying it. 

Edited by RumHam

We doing spoilers? I’m liking it a lot so far. Definitely got Lost vibes too. The pilot episode really hooked me in, and I thought about waiting to binge also but actually like having at least 1 weekly show.

Christina Ricci/Sammi Hanratty both killing it as sociopath Misty. I’m intrigued to know what’s going on with Taissa’s kid? 

5 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

We doing spoilers?

Sure what the hell it seems like we're the only ones watching so far. 

I have no idea what to make of Taissa's kid or the "eyeless man." Or that symbol. My first guess was that there is nothing supernatural going on and they all went a little crazy in the woods, and now another survivor was watching Taissa's house. Now I'm not sure. 

I do think Taissa was probably the person with the horns in the opening scene. At least if we assume she did injure that one girl on purpose to help their chances of winning, she seems to have that do anything to win/survive mentality.

I'm assuming the one who fell into the pit was Jackie because of the necklace. I guess Shauna gives it back to her when their relationship finally deteriorates all the way. I got the impression during the airing of their darkest secrets that Jackie at least suspected about her and Jeff. 

Yeah, the symbol already at the site could possibly mean the crash was on purpose. They did make a point of mentioning that it was the girl who just ran out of meds’ parents who hooked this plane up for them. Or maybe it was just done by the dude who offed himself in the cabin beforehand?

I don’t think anything supernatural is going on but who knows?

21 hours ago, RumHam said:

I got the impression during the airing of their darkest secrets that Jackie at least suspected about her and Jeff. 

Hmm. I didn’t get that impression. I gotta rewatch that scene.

I'm enjoying it so far, the spread of characters and horrible circumstances are making me feel a bit of a Stephen King vibe. 

I was put off a little by the casting on their older selves, Ricci looks 20 years younger than Lewis. In my head I was alright, Lewis' character has been in and out of rehab so ok, surprised she'd be down with this kind of exploitation but maybe she needed the money. Then I checked and they're only 7 years apart which put a point on how differently we all age. 

I think they're going more for weird than supernatural.

Spoiler

I'm interested to find out if the girls destroyed the bodies and it's only conjecture that they turned to cannibalism, or if it came up during the recovery of the bodies and subsequent investigation. I suspect the extremes they went to will also play out [though more behaviorally] in their adult selves lives as they encounter more stressors. 

Edited by JEORDHl

6 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Yeah, the symbol already at the site could possibly mean the crash was on purpose. They did make a point of mentioning that it was the girl who just ran out of meds’ parents who hooked this plane up for them. Or maybe it was just done by the dude who offed himself in the cabin beforehand?

I don’t think anything supernatural is going on but who knows?

Hmm. I didn’t get that impression. I gotta rewatch that scene.

I think she asked something like "how about you Shauna, any secrets that could bring down a plane?" and then Shauna of course got awkward. But maybe I was reading too much into her asking. 

Episode was called "Bear Down" and now I feel silly cause I was waiting for the mother of that dead cub from last week to show up, attack, and get killed. But no I guess the title just came from Misty trying to get the poor coach to poop. She is SO CREEPY I love it.

I half expected the plane they found to be full of virgin mary statues.

I wonder if we get any more of the third timeline from the opening scene this season, or if that was just to grab people's attention. Since adult Shauna saw teenaged Jackie on the bridge I take that as pretty close to confirmation that Jackie didn't live to adulthood. I'm leaning more and more towards Adam not being real either.

5 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

I got a hunchy feeling Adam might be Travis' younger brother.

That’s what I was thinking, if he ends up surviving the forest mess. If not then he might just be made up as RumHam stated. It seemed a little silly that he just happened to be at the hotel bar during the day the episode before, even know he supposedly works close by.

Misty googling what not to say after a suicide cracked me up. Sociopaths always make such good tv characters.

I watched the pilot the weekend it premiered on the Roku channel that let's you preview stuff for free. I was hooked from go and immediately subscribed to Showtime. 

I very much hope there isn't a supernatural aspect but instead is just a story of teenage girls going feral in a bigger way than LotF ever did. At any rate, we are thoroughly enjoying it. MC suggested Adam was Javier as well.

I also think Jackie survived to adulthood but I guess we'll see.

2 hours ago, kairparavel said:

I also think Jackie survived to adulthood but I guess we'll see.

I mean showing the girl in the trap had the necklace but not showing her face just screams misdirection. But I feel like if Shauna knew adult Jackie, she wouldn't be having visions of young Jackie. Also while anything could have happened between Jackie, Jeff and Shauna, it seems like the fact that he married Shauna and not his girlfriend might suggest that Jackie didn't make it back. Though she could have just cut both of them out her life for cheating. 

Part of the problem with predicting stuff on a new show is you don't really know how good the writing is yet. This could turn out to be well planned out show with lots of foreshadowing and stuff, or a "make it up as we go to shock the audience as much as possible because people love twists" show. I really hope it's not the latter.

Something is up with Adam. I don't think the timeline works out for him to be Travis's killer, too much traveling. No one else has interacted with him yet which is suspicious. He could be imaginary and Javi. Like "this guy was a friend and I contributed to his death and ate him and have gone insane and am picturing him if he'd lived to adulthood and we reconnected." 

Though that would toss out my point about the significance of her not imagining Jackie as an adult. 

31 minutes ago, briantw said:

Guess we can safely say that Adam is real now, as he interacted with Shauna’s daughter.  

Yeah, that's a bit of a relief. Also a good sign that "Travis didn't believe in this [occult/supernatural] shit" and it seemed like Nat didn't either. Probably means nothing overtly supernatural happened in the woods. At least nothing they couldn't rationalize away. No smoke monsters. 

I had to laugh when Jackie suggested the seance. Great plan! 

6 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah, that's a bit of a relief. Also a good sign that "Travis didn't believe in this [occult/supernatural] shit" and it seemed like Nat didn't either. Probably means nothing overtly supernatural happened in the woods. At least nothing they couldn't rationalize away. No smoke monsters. 

I had to laugh when Jackie suggested the seance. Great plan! 

My guess is that anything supernatural comes as a result of the girl who isn’t taking her pills.  So it doesn’t actually happen but one of them believes it and so do others as a result.

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

My guess is that anything supernatural comes as a result of the girl who isn’t taking her pills.  So it doesn’t actually happen but one of them believes it and so do others as a result.

Yeah, and then one of the survivors is sorta continuing it in the modern timeline by killing travis for whatever reason. 

They said Lotti had been acting weird "for weeks" which I thought was surprising. They showed her take her last pill only an episode or two ago. How long have they been out there? I figured they'd stretch the 19 months across the five seasons they've apparently got planned but they're moving faster than I expected.  

25 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah, and then one of the survivors is sorta continuing it in the modern timeline by killing travis for whatever reason. 

They said Lotti had been acting weird "for weeks" which I thought was surprising. They showed her take her last pill only an episode or two ago. How long have they been out there? I figured they'd stretch the 19 months across the five seasons they've apparently got planned but they're moving faster than I expected.  

Long enough for Shauna to know she’s pregnant but not long enough for her to show, apparently. 

On 11/30/2021 at 9:20 AM, RumHam said:

I have no idea what to make of Taissa's kid or the "eyeless man." Or that symbol. My first guess was that there is nothing supernatural going on and they all went a little crazy in the woods, and now another survivor was watching Taissa's house. Now I'm not sure. 

The way her kid said "you're not the other one" makes me think that either the other mom is abusing him or that Taissa has some sort of split personality thing going on and her kid is the only one who has figured it out.

Edited by briantw

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

This is news to me. I can't see the show spanning five seasons unless there aren't many episodes per. The plot feels like it's moving pretty quick.