Yellowjackets (Showtime series / spoilers)

RumHam

24 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is news to me. I can't see the show spanning five seasons unless there aren't many episodes per. The plot feels like it's moving pretty quick.

I'm not sure if that is still the plan. but it was when they pitched it to HBO. From the show's wikipedia article:

Lyle and Nickerson pitched the series with a 35-minute presentation, which included talks about the first season's ending and a five-season storyline. The series was originally going to take place in the 1970s and the 1990s, but both time periods were moved twenty years forward to make the setting more familiar to viewers. HBO was a contender to purchase the series but ultimately rejected it, in part due to its similarities with one of its own properties.

I wonder what that HBO property was?

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I'm not sure if that is still the plan. but it was when they pitched it to HBO. From the show's wikipedia article:

I wonder what that HBO property was?

Interesting, thanks! 

Not trying to nitpick, but maybe they should have kept the original older timelines. It's hard to imagine them being missing for 19 months given the technology of the mid 90's. 

I've been enjoying this show a lot more than I originally thought I would. Although to be honest I become somewhat less interested as they started hinting at some grand conspiracy beyond whatever awful shit the girls themselves got up to out there and are trying to cover up. Christina Ricci is the absolute highlight of the show for me. She's got that faux-cheerful menace down to a science that makes my skin crawl. 

I'm glad the creators have a specific roadmap in mind, even if five seasons sounds like a lot at the outset. My biggest fear with this show (as with anything Showtime touches) is that they'll drag it out for years past the point when it should have ended until it's a miserable ghost of its former self. I still can't believe they necro'd Dexter. 

37 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

I still can't believe they necro'd Dexter. 

To be fair, that was sort of a "well, they can't fuck it up more than the last time" situation.  It's borderline impossible for them to not do a better job this time around.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk if they've been doing this all season or if it's just a Showtime thing, but I was up late last night and the episode was out on demand. Shit just keeps getting weirder and I loved it. 

Yeah I also noticed it was up on Hulu sometime after midnight. I was to tired to watch it though, I may do that now. I'd always assumed they dropped after it aired on showtime but I never actually looked before. 

Jackie's mom was the best :laugh: Just so over the top "you weren't as good as my daughter. But I don't mean it like that"

If there has to be something supernatural going on I prefer "Lottie was seeing the future and one of the girls demands blood" to "there's a witch or ghost demanding blood" 

I didn't know what to make of the baptism scene. I was thinking "if Laura-lee drowns her because she think's she's the devil that would be super lame" but thankfully they didn't go that route. 

Maybe it was just my mood but I found a lot of this episode quite funny

"We're you outside last night eating dirt?"

"I have a secret boyfriend too"

"...they have monologues now!"

and coach's "fuck me." 

What a wacky episode. Taissa has been blacking out and eating dirt(and her hands)as a way to deal with control issues/trauma for decades, Lottie has psychic mutant abilities and Shauna legitimately doesn’t like her own daughter. That lunch scene at Jackie’s house was pretty funny. So awkward for so many different reasons. 

The abortion attempt was obviously tough to watch too. Yeesh

I was initially pretty shocked at Shauna saying she didn't like her daughter in front of this woman who is still grieving her own, it felt so cruel. But then seeing how awful Jackie's mom is to her my thoughts quickly changed to 'get her ass'. That scene actually made me like Jeff, who just seemed like such a douche before. 

I am still really hoping things don't go in a supernatural direction. 

I really liked the way they used sound effects in this episode. Not music or jump scares, just the subtle and eerie sound of gasping, almost hyperventilating, in some scenes. Super creepy and fitting. 

I almost skipped this show just reading the description on Crave (Canadian streaming service). I'm glad I read this thread and FB comments from BWB folks. It is a fantastic show. While I enjoy watching all the characters, the actors for Misty old and young just freaking nail it. 

Edited by Tyria

On 12/21/2021 at 10:27 AM, KiDisaster said:

I was initially pretty shocked at Shauna saying she didn't like her daughter in front of this woman who is still grieving her own, it felt so cruel. But then seeing how awful Jackie's mom is to her my thoughts quickly changed to 'get her ass'. That scene actually made me like Jeff, who just seemed like such a douche before. 

Yeah. I don’t think Shauna really dislikes her daughter. She seemed to be just trolling the mom, but she did sell it pretty well. 

Then Jeff got home and immediately made plans with his girlfriend. 

15 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Then Jeff got home and immediately made plans with his girlfriend. 

MC thinks Jeff is the 50K blackmailer, as his going out to 'work' aligns with the pickup time. Also Shauna didn't get a postcard. No less possible than any else happening. Guess we'll find out.

Damn that was brutal. I mean I expected the wolves because of all Taissa's flashes of wolves. But the way they did it from her perspective was great. Made it so much worse. It also raises the question... If she knew about her tendency to awaken in trees back then that seems to make her a terrible person in the present timeline.