Yellowjackets (Showtime series / spoilers)

RumHam

On 12/6/2021 at 11:19 AM, JEORDHl said:

I got a hunchy feeling Adam might be Travis' younger brother.

Adam was definitely a a cult member. Did anyone notice the line about taking off for the weekend to, "A cabin in the woods"? That seems like an odd suggestion given what he claims to know about her. I'd have to rewatch but I'm pretty sure one of the guys who grabbed Natalie was also one of Adam's concerned family members on TV.

On 12/13/2021 at 5:55 PM, RumHam said:

I'm not sure if that is still the plan. but it was when they pitched it to HBO. From the show's wikipedia article:

Please, please, please don't fuck this up like American gods. 

On 12/27/2021 at 8:53 AM, briantw said:

The way that final scene was shot was really weird.  What happened to the other wolves while Van was being killed?  What happened to the torches the girls were holding?  

Were there wolves there at all, or was it all in Tai's head?

We know Tai is an unreliable narrator. It's also a pretty good bet that, through starvation and/or low dose poisoning, the '90's events are not told accurately. I'm also betting the mental breakdown started long before Doomcoming. Remember how in an early episode one of the girls warns the others to not eat the berries? In a later episode they're out searching for food and one of them complains there are no berries left? They also seem pretty chill about drinking fermented berry juice. 

I'm thinking the animals might be a proxy for humans. I'd bet money that the bear was actually Javi. Why would a bear behave like that? The "bear" laid down because he was hungover from the night before. He didn't attack them because why would he attack his friends? He didn't react to Lotti approaching him because why would he? There are also parallels with the opening "dinner" and the bear feast. 

It's possible the wolf attack was actually one group of girls attacking the other. Why does the pack evaporate when Tai kills one of them with an axe? Why don't they bring the wolf carcass back for food? Did they consume it already? I'd have to go back and rewatch but are there any minor characters who disappear after that scene? That would be the confirmation. 

8 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Adam was definitely a a cult member. Did anyone notice the line about taking off for the weekend to, "A cabin in the woods"? That seems like an odd suggestion given what he claims to know about her. I'd have to rewatch but I'm pretty sure one of the guys who grabbed Natalie was also one of Adam's concerned family members on TV.

The showrunners have stated he’s not a cult member.

I'm thinking the animals might be a proxy for humans. I'd bet money that the bear was actually Javi. Why would a bear behave like that? The "bear" laid down because he was hungover from the night before. He didn't attack them because why would he attack his friends? He didn't react to Lotti approaching him because why would he? There are also parallels with the opening "dinner" and the bear feast. 

It would be kind of cool if they treated some of these things like Life of Pie, but I don’t think everyone would mistake Javi for the bear.

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The showrunners have stated he’s not a cult member.

... anymore. B)

Jonathan Ross gave Kit Harrington a lie detector test once and he passed it with flying colors. These creative types are crafty, lying bastards. 

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It would be kind of cool if they treated some of these things like Life of Pie, but I don’t think everyone would mistake Javi for the bear.

If the flashback scenes are told from the POV of one of the surviving characters they might. 

27 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I don't think it makes sense for Javi to be alive. Or at least known to be alive. It should have come up after Travis' death if any of the main characters thought he was still alive. 

It's worth noting he's not listed as being in the last episode, so we don't know his fate. Also, the actor appears to be 13-14 years old, so he probably can't stick around for five seasons unless they're not worried about his rapid aging compared to the other young actors who seem to be in their late teens to mid 20's. 

25 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

... anymore. B)

Jonathan Ross gave Kit Harrington a lie detector test once and he passed it with flying colors. These creative types are crafty, lying bastards. 

I've linked three articles in the last few pages that are Q&As with them. They seem pretty honest.

If the flashback scenes are told from the POV of one of the surviving characters they might. 

The show does individual flashbacks, but I don't that scene was one of them.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's worth noting he's not listed as being in the last episode, so we don't know his fate. Also, the actor appears to be 13-14 years old, so he probably can't stick around for five seasons unless they're not worried about his rapid aging compared to the other young actors who seem to be in their late teens to mid 20's. 

I was surprised to learn that Travis is 30 and young Taissa (aka Evie from The Leftovers) is 27!

Not that I think they'd spring for it anyway but I wonder can you CGI de-age a young person? I'd imagine you'd need a different process. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

The ceremonial feast depicts 8 survivors. Tai, Shauna, Misty, Natalie, Travis and Lottie definitely made it out. The stature and head dress of the one on the far right suggests one of them is Van. That leaves one that isn't accounted for, although the costumes they wore to Doomcoming would probably provide a clue. I'm pretty sure we saw Javi die in episode 10.

Here they are, looking like some Grizzly Adams version of Slipknot. Misty is serving dinner.

https://soaps.sheknows.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/yellowjackets-antler-queen.png?resize=1024%2C598

They seem pretty honest.

The best liars always do.

The show does individual flashbacks, but I don't that scene was one of them.

I don't know. I got the sense that scene was being told from Shauna's or Lotti's POV. Tai is also present. Travis and Natalie (the people most likely to protect Javi) are not. If you look at the individual reaction shots after Lotti stabs the bear, it's more stunned silence than anything else. And there was something really off about that bear. 

p.s. I also thought it was strange that none of them make any effort to seek protection inside the cabin. And none of them mention the word, "bear". 

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

It's a nice idea that they killed Javi instead of the bear, but it doesn't really stand up: the bear had enough meat to feed them all with lots left over, whilst Javi would have had maybe a third of the bear's mass and would not have generated the same volume of meat. Also, Lottie sacrifices the bear's heart to the tree hours after they all sober up, and it's clearly much bigger than either Javi's or Nat's would be.

The bear's behaviour is weird, though. It might have been that the bear was simply weak from hunger and then confused by Lottie calmly walking up to it. And the way they shot it was awkward AF because, obviously, the actors and the bear were not in the same location at any point, with the one real shot of them together being rather painful greenscreen.

Also, the actor appears to be 13-14 years old, so he probably can't stick around for five seasons unless they're not worried about his rapid aging compared to the other young actors who seem to be in their late teens to mid 20's.

It depends on how long they spend in the wilderness on the show. They're out there for 19 months so that gives them some leeway in handwaving how fast he grows before he gets killed off or they get rescued.

Season 2 will apparently get into the cannibalism, so my guess is that they will be rescued in Season 3 at the latest. I can't see them spending five seasons on the flashback story to the woods, though I can see them having to go back to the woods in the present day again.

The showrunners did confirm in another interview:

Spoiler

Taissa definitely has a split personality issue, and it's her subconscious personality which created the shrine and killed the dog. Taissa does suspect this is what happened, but she's not necessarily consciously aware that the shrine exists or where it is. 

If you look carefully you can see Lottie taking drugs used to treat schizophrenia after the crash, which doesn't necessarily mean she has schizophrenia but her parents got her on the same medication after her premonitions started getting out of hand. The steady uptick in Lottie's odd behaviour is probably down to her medication running out so she transitions from her mental/psychic situation being under control to it not being under control at all, and then exacerbated by the mushrooms.

35 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It's a nice idea that they killed Javi instead of the bear, but it doesn't really stand up: the bear had enough meat to feed them all with lots left over, whilst Javi would have had maybe a third of the bear's mass and would not have generated the same volume of meat. Also, Lottie sacrifices the bear's heart to the tree hours after they all sober up, and it's clearly much bigger than either Javi's or Nat's would be.

Yeah but, like, there's energy coming up out of the ground, man.

36 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The bear's behaviour is weird, though. It might have been that the bear was simply weak from hunger and then confused by Lottie calmly walking up to it. And the way they shot it was awkward AF because, obviously, the actors and the bear were not in the same location at any point, with the one real shot of them together being rather painful greenscreen.

If that scene takes place just before the first snow, that bear would have spent the entire summer fattening itself up and preparing to enter its den to hibernate 'till spring; so weakness from hunger doesn't seem plausible to me. And how is it possible that they spent the entire summer there and this is the first live bear they encountered?

A bear weak from hunger would attack. A scared or confused bear would bolt or attack. A bear surrounded by terrified humans would get aggressive. Everything about that scene is just weird.

Killer final 2 eps. I lean toward the supernatural being involved. To do otherwise you have to create all sorts of explanations for various things. If Lottie can to some degree command animals it certainly does help explain how at least some survived the ordeal so long. Seems unlikely that human flesh was the main foodstuff ingested during such a long period. They'd run out of people.

Yes, psychedelics are involved and that could be a reason the supernatural is not involved. However, there is the trope of these types of drugs making people more susceptible to possession by spirits. That may have been Misty's intention. 

It seems likely this is some sort of dark shamanic spirit and it apparently needs something from humans. And it's really hard to explain the Eyeless Man and everything around it in a rational way. Could be a Wendigo. That would fit the setting and cannibalism, anyway.

Edited by Martell Spy

The Yellowjackets subreddit is quite chill and interesting (at the moment, we just need to wait until the first fandom-splitting BS event takes place a season or two down the line) at the moment. Someone who dealt with black boxes pointed out that Flight Data Recorders can only be located through an underwater sonar ping, so Misty destroying the black box is actually completely pointless, because it's not transmitting an emergency signal.

What she'd have needed to have destroyed was Emergency Locator Transmitter, which is either manually activated if a plane is going down or is triggered on impact. The ELT immediately broadcasts a distress signal on a frequency that was monitored by satellite at the time, so Misty would have had to have destroyed the ELT almost instantly to stop a signal going out. The chances of the ELT being destroyed or damaged in a very low-speed impact (which this was, since almost everyone survived is pretty implausible). There is a small chance that the pilots forgot to activate the ELT manually and the impact was so shallow it didn't actually trigger the ELT. Or it was faulty.

General consensus seemed to be anyway that Misty probably didn't fuck them over, she just thought she had (and, more importantly, wanted to).

Also, someone else pointed out that by most of the evidence, the crashes happens in Spring 1996, but the Spice Girls didn't release their first single in the UK until 26 June and I'm pretty sure they didn't blow up in the States until a bit later. But I get they needed a big breakthrough musical act from 1996 to mention and the Spice Girls are the obvious candidates.

I'd have to rewatch but I'm pretty sure one of the guys who grabbed Natalie was also one of Adam's concerned family members on TV.

I double checked this and Adam doesn't have any concerned family members on TV, just a photo.

13 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Someone who dealt with black boxes pointed out that Flight Data Recorders can only be located through an underwater sonar ping, so Misty destroying the black box is actually completely pointless, because it's not transmitting an emergency signal.

What she'd have needed to have destroyed was Emergency Locator Transmitter, which is either manually activated if a plane is going down or is triggered on impact. The ELT immediately broadcasts a distress signal on a frequency that was monitored by satellite at the time, so Misty would have had to have destroyed the ELT almost instantly to stop a signal going out. The chances of the ELT being destroyed or damaged in a very low-speed impact (which this was, since almost everyone survived is pretty implausible). There is a small chance that the pilots forgot to activate the ELT manually and the impact was so shallow it didn't actually trigger the ELT. Or it was faulty.

General consensus seemed to be anyway that Misty probably didn't fuck them over, she just thought she had (and, more importantly, wanted to).

I dunno, I feel like we should assume this is just a case of the writers not doing their research? Seems more likely to me that their intention was that she prevented a timely rescue. 

But then I've been wrong about just about everything else! I can't believe the smashing of the box didn't get revealed to the other girls by the end of the season. I also thought Adam was Javi, Jackie was pit girl, Taissa was the antler queen and was sure we'd meet a surprise survivor at the reunion. 

Also worth noting that black boxes are designed to survive impacts of ~350mph, which Misty isn't really capable of delivering ;) The only time black boxes have been destroyed outright is if the impact was at very high speed (hence why none of the 9/11 black boxes survived).

I generally like to think that if fans can find out a piece of information through a two-second Google search, writers should be able to do the same thing when writing their scripts and account for it.

The one that still puzzles me is the publicity material saying they went down in Northern Ontario, which matches the profusion of lakes and their utter isolation from the rest of civilisation, but the establishing shots of mountains in the first episode seems more like the Canadian Rockies, which sounds more desolate but actually probably puts them a lot closer to major cities (like Calgary) and makes them not being found for so long less plausible. But I can't believe they went to the trouble of getting the mountain shot and dropping it in without once thinking, "are there mountains where this thing is set?"

3 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Also worth noting that black boxes are designed to survive impacts of ~350mph, which Misty isn't really capable of delivering ;) The only time black boxes have been destroyed outright is if the impact was at very high speed (hence why none of the 9/11 black boxes survived).

I generally like to think that if fans can find out a piece of information through a two-second Google search, writers should be able to do the same thing when writing their scripts and account for it.

The one that still puzzles me is the publicity material saying they went down in Northern Ontario, which matches the profusion of lakes and their utter isolation from the rest of civilisation, but the establishing shots of mountains in the first episode seems more like the Canadian Rockies, which sounds more desolate but actually probably puts them a lot closer to major cities (like Calgary) and makes them not being found for so long less plausible. But I can't believe they went to the trouble of getting the mountain shot and dropping it in without once thinking, "are there mountains where this thing is set?"

But the plot requires them to go undiscovered for 19 months. So barring some kinda LOST style "it's hard to find" magic they needed an explanation, and I think the one they used worked for 90% of their viewership. 

Like the whole "lets fly the old plane" plotline was ridiculous. The gas in the plane would not still be viable, planes require maintenance. Plus how was she going to land? but we just accept these things because it's television we don't assume it was an enchanted plane.

I maintain that teddy bear was cursed and spontaneously combusted though!

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

But the plot requires them to go undiscovered for 19 months. So barring some kinda LOST style "it's hard to find" magic they needed an explanation, and I think the one they used worked for 90% of their viewership. 

Like the whole "lets fly the old plane" plotline was ridiculous. The gas in the plane would not still be viable, planes require maintenance. Plus how was she going to land? but we just accept these things because it's television we don't assume it was an enchanted plane.

I maintain that teddy bear was cursed and spontaneously combusted though!

I laughed my ass off for most of that episode. I'm like, "This idiot is so obviously going to die." She learned to fly from studying the flight manual? Seriously?

On the other hand, It betrays a desperation that might not be obvious from scenes as-shown. I wouldn't be surprised if we get alternate flashbacks depicting a much grimmer, nastier situation.

I still blame Misty though.

p.s. Melanie Lynskey (adult Shauna) is a Kiwi? I had no idea.  

31 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I still blame Misty though.

I've seen people theorize that she's still sabotaging them, in my opinion that would have ended with the wolf attack, if not sooner. I think at this point in the story she should really regret bashing the box. Especially since the group seemed to go from "we'd be fucked without misty" to being annoyed by her between episodes two and three.