Yellowjackets (Showtime series / spoilers)

RumHam

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

I dunno, I feel like we should assume this is just a case of the writers not doing their research? Seems more likely to me that their intention was that she prevented a timely rescue. 

But then I've been wrong about just about everything else! I can't believe the smashing of the box didn't get revealed to the other girls by the end of the season. I also thought Adam was Javi, Jackie was pit girl, Taissa was the antler queen and was sure we'd meet a surprise survivor at the reunion. 

I thought the same thing. I even suspected Lotti might be the pit girl for a time.

p.s. isn't the pit girl wearing Jackie's necklace?

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

The one that still puzzles me is the publicity material saying they went down in Northern Ontario, which matches the profusion of lakes and their utter isolation from the rest of civilisation, but the establishing shots of mountains in the first episode seems more like the Canadian Rockies, which sounds more desolate but actually probably puts them a lot closer to major cities (like Calgary) and makes them not being found for so long less plausible. But I can't believe they went to the trouble of getting the mountain shot and dropping it in without once thinking, "are there mountains where this thing is set?"

I thought Rockies too. There is a mountain range in northern Ontario, but you have to squint a little to make it look like what's in the show. That part of the country would also make more sense to find a cabin owned by a French speaker, being further east.

And if they are in Northern Ontario, they'd be screwed trying to find a road. There are parts of that province where roads and towns are pretty thin. However, there is a fair amount of fly-in fishing and hunting tourism. I would imagine they're going to see a plane sooner or later. Not the one that blew up that is.  That could be how they end up getting found: a pilot of a plane with floats sees the wreckage from the air and lands on the lake to check it out.

And the compass going crazy is totally a thing. My home town was just inside the Canadian Shield. In grade 6 (I think) we went to the local ski hill in the spring for orienteering. We were warned that if we stood on a at a particular spot on the course to get our bearing, the compass would go mental because  we were probably standing on top of an iron deposit. Walk 20 feet in any direction and it was fine.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

19 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

p.s. Melanie Lynskey (adult Shauna) is a Kiwi? I had no idea.  

Yup. She shot to fame playing, as she put it, "the one who isn't Kate Winslet" in Heavenly Creatures. She didn't quite have the same nuclear career as Winslet, but she leveraged that into plenty of fine roles over the years (plus the Two and a Half Men gig).

• 4 weeks later...

Took me a while to get to it, but when I did I binged it in three nights. Great show. Hoped for a bit more answers in the finale, but there you go. No idea why would Lottie want Travis dead after 25 years.

Must say I was a bit surprised they were supposed to crash in northern Ontario. Not very familiar with Canadian geography, but just looking at the map northern Manitoba/Saskatchewan or even somewhere in Northwest Territories would seem much more desolate and hopeless for being rescued.

Edited by 3CityApache

12 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Took me a while to get to it, but when I did I binged it in three nights. Great show. Hoped for a bit more answers in the finale, but there you go. No idea why would Lottie want Travis dead after 25 years.

Must say I was a bit surprised they were supposed to crash in northern Ontario. Not very familiar with Canadian geography, but just looking at the map northern Manitoba/Saskatchewan or even somewhere in Northwest Territories would seem much more desolete and hopeless for being rescued.

I think the idea is they wanted to have the characters as Americans and so for their plane to get blown off course in Canada required them to crash somewhere in Ontario, a territory 50% larger than Texas (it is really huge, stretching from Minnesota almost to Vermont).

However, northern Ontario is still really remote, there's absolutely nothing up there. When people talk about Ontario being Canada's most populous province, they're really talking about the informal area of Southern Ontario, which is very small (53,000 square miles, half the size of the UK) but contains the cities of Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton, London etc with a population of 13 million. Northern Ontario is six times larger but with a population of less than 800,000, almost all of them in small towns along the southern edge of the territory or immediately adjacent to Southern Ontario.

The largest town in western Ontario is Kenora (population 15,000, so not huge) and that is easily 350-400 miles from the likely crash area. That area is easily 800 miles from Toronto. There is almost absolutely nothing up there, and you can easily be dozens and dozens of miles from the next nearest human being, and a hundred or more miles from the nearest hamlet of any appreciable size.

It's true they could have crashed  in an even more remote area, but that would have entailed more of explanation (the sporting event they were going to would have had to have been moved to Alaska) and crashing somewhere like the remotest part of the Northern Territories makes them ever being found rather more implausible. Also, up there winter starts earlier and finishes later, and they'd all be dead within weeks even if they'd eaten one another instantly.

The big problem here is the rather insane mountains they showed in the first episode, which simply do not exist in Ontario.

@Werthead Fair enough, it all makes sense. By the way, do we even know where the nationals were supposed to take place? Chicago?

Also, I was wondering why they couldn't find anything to hunt for. Such a place should be swarming with animals (and the lake with fish for that matter), shouldn't it? Seems like it would be much more probable if they simply didn't find a rifle or ammo, and even then they should be able to make some kind of traps. Unless it's all supernatural related, in which case it's a bit of a deus ex machina I guess.

Edited by 3CityApache

Yes, a lake in northern Ontario that's unmolested by humans would probably be teeming with fish. A friend of mine used to fly tourists up to a fishing lodge up there. I can't remember the name of it.

And the "animals" might not be animals. I already mentioned a theory of the bear and the wolf attack. what if:

Spoiler

The rotting deer that walked into their camp was actually some twisted memory of them exhuming one of the corpses from the crash because they were desperate for food?

Yeah, I read about your theory upthread, but I'm not really buying it. If it weren't wolves that attacked them on their trip south, why would Van's injuries look definitely animal inflicted?

And besides, even if the theory was true, it doesn't explain why they couldn't find real animals in the forest that should be swarming with them.

Edited by 3CityApache

19 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

And besides, event if the theory was true, it doesn't explain why they couldn't find real animals in the forest that should be swarming with them.

They're not exactly loaded with supplies to regularly hunt or fish, nor do any of them have real survival training. I do to some extent and I'm not sure just how much more I could have done tbh. 

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

The nationals were taking place in Seattle.

That's weird.  They filmed in BC, so why not make the in-show location BC, especially since how the hell are they suppose to go so off course as to end up in Ontario?

...Can we just account for it by Americans not knowing geography and call it BC from now on?

Edited by SpaceChampion

• 3 weeks later...

I've been binging the first few seasons of Queen of the South, which stars Peter Gadiot aka Adam. It's too bad Adam died because I like the actor a lot.

Also wasn't expecting this:

Edited by kairparavel

On 2/18/2022 at 6:35 PM, SpaceChampion said:

That's weird.  They filmed in BC, so why not make the in-show location BC, especially since how the hell are they suppose to go so off course as to end up in Ontario?

...Can we just account for it by Americans not knowing geography and call it BC from now on?

They've actually said it's supposed to northern Ontario? If so thats the most unbelievable thing in a show that seemingly deals with the supernatural. They filmed in the rockies and guess what: tiny little mountains and hills in Ontario are not the fucking rockies. I had figured they were blown off course near Seattle into the canadian rockies.

Edited by Slurktan

On 3/7/2022 at 1:42 PM, Slurktan said:

They've actually said it's supposed to northern Ontario? If so thats the most unbelievable thing in a show that seemingly deals with the supernatural. They filmed in the rockies and guess what: tiny little mountains and hills in Ontario are not the fucking rockies. I had figured they were blown off course near Seattle into the canadian rockies.

Yes it's Ontario. There's a line in the early episode where they're getting on the plane where someone mentions that they have to fly further north to get around some weather or something. But they are flying from the east coast to the west coast. 

20 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Yes it's Ontario. There's a line in the early episode where they're getting on the plane where someone mentions that they have to fly further north to get around some weather or something. But they are flying from the east coast to the west coast. 

Yeah hence they would be crossing the rockies at some point. 

If it is supposed to be ontario I may be out. Thats brutally stupid. Why not just make it a fantasy land if thats the case?

• 4 months later...

Another bit of great casting.

Lauren Ambrose from Six Feet Under is playing the adult version of

Spoiler

Van, confirming she survives the crash and the rescue. They also confirm that the adult Lottie should appear in Season 2 as well.

Season 2 starts shooting in a week or so and is scheduled to conclude in February. They hope to get it on Showtime sometime in the late spring or summer of 2023.

They're also going to be shooting for real through a real Canadian winter, which sounds like it's going to be fun.

6 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Another bit of great casting.

Lauren Ambrose from Six Feet Under is playing the adult version of

Hide contents

Van, confirming she survives the crash and the rescue. They also confirm that the adult Lottie should appear in Season 2 as well.

Season 2 starts shooting in a week or so and is scheduled to conclude in February. They hope to get it on Showtime sometime in the late spring or summer of 2023.

They're also going to be shooting for real through a real Canadian winter, which sounds like it's going to be fun.

Was Van the one that got her face eaten?

Kind of wish they didn’t spoil that, but oh well.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Odd, I had just read an interview with them from just a couple days ago and they said they were expecting it out sometime in Q1 of 2023.