Yellowjackets (Showtime series / spoilers)

RumHam

Caught up with this, and, while by no means perfect, it's a hell of a ride. It's really a very binge-watch type of show, which takes you into the thrills and wondering what happens next as long as you don't think too much about the obvious mistakes (the whole Adam plotline, how the hell that plane was working,.etc). Absolutely flawless casting all-around, and I'm looking forward to see where this goes 

For me it's not even "how the hell was the plane still working" I'm used to shows ignoring stuff like that gasoline goes bad and things need maintenance. What got me was the insanity of Laura Lee learning to fly by reading the manual and thinking she was going to survive to get help. Like can you imagine learning to drive by reading your car's user manual? 

It would have been a bit better if they'd acknowledged that she had little hope of landing and it was a suicide mission with the hope that when they ID'd her they'd start asking questions about the first plane crash. 

21 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

It's really a very binge-watch type of show

Have to disagree. There are so many small details you overlook when binging it. It's very similar to Westworld in the sense, whereas a show like Breaking Bad you can watch four episodes in a row and probably not miss anything the show hoped you'd pick up on.

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

It would have been a bit better if they'd acknowledged that she had little hope of landing and it was a suicide mission with the hope that when they ID'd her they'd start asking questions about the first plane crash. 

I kind of thought that was the point. Anyways, the most illogical part about the plane is how the bear spontaneously combusted. We don't exactly know how long it's gone unused so it is possible to fly it, and simple planes like that are actually not that hard to fly. It wouldn't even be that hard to softly crash land it. Where LL would have been fucked is she probably wouldn't know that she needed to dump the fuel if it had worked out.

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I kind of thought that was the point. Anyways, the most illogical part about the plane is how the bear spontaneously combusted. We don't exactly know how long it's gone unused so it is possible to fly it, and simple planes like that are actually not that hard to fly. It wouldn't even be that hard to softly crash land it. Where LL would have been fucked is she probably wouldn't know that she needed to dump the fuel if it had worked out.

Haha, well yeah but that's really only illogical if you don't want to accept a supernatural element. I know nothing about flying planes, I don't even enjoy being a passenger on one. So it seems totally insane to me, I think I'd rather starve on the ground than try to fly myself to safety. 

Maybe her sacrificing herself was the point, but as I recall they didn't really address it. Plus they were all "yaaaay" when it took off and then "oh no our friend exploded!" If they thought she was always doomed the takeoff should have been more bittersweet. 

11 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Haha, well yeah but that's really only illogical if you don't want to accept a supernatural element. I know nothing about flying planes, I don't even enjoy being a passenger on one. So it seems totally insane to me, I think I'd rather starve on the ground than try to fly myself to safety. 

I think the supernatural aspect goes without saying at this point. 

You'd have no chance to land a plane like in Airplane, but I think you'd be surprised how well you would do with a small play like that assuming you had someone talking you through it. My grandfather owned a small plane for a long time and took me up a few times on rentals. Cruising in the sky was pretty easy out in the middle of nowhere.  

Maybe her sacrificing herself was the point, but as I recall they didn't really address it. Plus they were all "yaaaay" when it took off and then "oh no our friend exploded!" If they thought she was always doomed the takeoff should have been more bittersweet. 

No, they didn't, but logically I'd assume everyone knew her chances of landing the plane safely were pretty minimal. 

They clarified that the plane was 600 miles north of where it should have been, and that it indeed went down in the Rockies. The Ontario stuff was from pre-release stuff they hadn't meant to be released.

Also showing the massive extent of Shauna's damage is quite impressive. I assumed they'd build up slowly over the course of the season to the cannibalism, but nope, straight into it, even if they're easing into it with somebody who's already dead.

Not sure what the funniest scene was, Jeff losing it to Papa Roach or Misty smashing that Reddit downvote button on Elijah Wood's post in the most ridiculously dramatic way.

Edited by Werthead

23 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

None of them beats "THERE'S NO BOOK CLUB?" though.

I re-watched the show recently and totally forgot about that line.  Just about spit out my drink.  

The other scene that cracks me up is when Misty busts into Nat's hotel room as she's about to do some lines, shoves her out of the way, and snorts all the cocaine herself.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Did they drop the whole season on streaming anywhere?

Nope, though Paramount+ users and I think people who use the Showtime app in the States get to watch it 2 days before it airs on Showtime itself. We're in for the weekly haul, which I think with this show works quite well (major Lost flashbacks going on here with all the week-by-week theorising).

15 hours ago, RumHam said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Holy shit someone please tell me they weren't still electroshock therapying people in the 90's? 

It's still used today, though only with informed consent and in life-saving situations.

On 3/25/2023 at 12:24 AM, Werthead said:

Nope, though Paramount+ users and I think people who use the Showtime app in the States get to watch it 2 days before it airs on Showtime itself. We're in for the weekly haul, which I think with this show works quite well (major Lost flashbacks going on here with all the week-by-week theorising).

Wait this isn't on Sky Atlantic in the UK this year?