Yellowjackets (Showtime series / spoilers)

RumHam

18 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Wait this isn't on Sky Atlantic in the UK this year?

I don't know. Season 2 is airing on Paramount+ one day after US transmission though.

That kind of escalated quickly.  I'm not sure I'm going to stick with this show.  Everyone is kind of a cypher for what motivates them.  I think this is the same problem with Rings of Power.  The writers have plot beats they want to get to and rationalize from behaviour rather than motivation.  There is no theory of mind.  And this show fills in the gaps with supernatural shit, drug altered states of consciousness and or sleepwalking.

Wow. They really went to town on Jackie didn’t they. I knew it from the moment they said, “We’ll cremate her.” And when the “act of god” happened, I actually said out loud, “She’s going to smell delicious!”.

Slow cooking for almost 8 hours, all that wood smoke, can you imagine?

Coach is going to get it next, I’m sure. My god, the marbling. 

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

Well damn. That got wild quickly at the end. I never expected Climbing Up the Walls to ever be more macabre… but somehow I was down with it. 

Shit is moving along faster than we all expected and I’m ok with it. I’m glad they nipped the Jackie corpse thing in the bud. That was pretty fucking crazy. Now everyone has to look each other in the eye after eating one of their own. It’s about to get really weird now.

It's available on Paramount+ within a few hours (not like Picard where there's typically a 36-hour delay between it airing in the US and I can actually watch it in the UK), so it's not quite so bad.

That episode was absolutely fucking nuts, like they just spun on a dime and screamed off in a full utter psycho-horror direction much faster and much harder than anybody was expecting. The atmosphere and tone the show adopted by its end was genuinely disturbing. I'm not entirely sure I buy it and it feels like there are some screeching issues with plausibility in this kind of pacing (bearing in mind this was only the 12th episode of a presumed 50 in the full series, so only just scraping the 25% mark of the entire show).

Also, I'm worried the writers have decided to embrace the full gonzoid dark horror nature of the premise without keeping a hand on the tiller of actually giving us any characters to root for. It felt like they were setting up Jackie as maybe the most sympathetic character out of the bunch and Shauna as the most relatable, with Taissa maybe as the irredeemable one with the most serious issues, but both now feel like they've gone down the rabbit hole of showing us they're all messed-up, with huge problems and the feeling they should all be in jail or in an institution.

This episode also feels like it maybe crossed more of a line between supernatural and rational explanations for everything, and the second a show embraces the supernatural (rather than leaving it arguable), it feels like it's embracing the freedom to have huge arse-pulls for any plot twists the writers want to deliver in future episodes.

If they reign things back in and properly explore the consequences of this deranged sequence of events, fair enough, but this does have the feeling that they could be at least starting to rev the bike adjacent to shark-infested waters.

6 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

maybe they should watch the episode before visiting a thread with “spoilers” in the title.

Yeah, once the episode drops, spoilers are fair game.  

Wait, Callie is in her last year of college? Based on her relationship with her mom I assumed high school. Her reaction to finding her at that party is odd now. Shauna was definitely the one who didn't belong there.

Anyway I'm terrible at math and judging ages but she still can't be the forest baby, right?

I remember thinking when Jackie died "at least she won't get eaten, they've got all that bear meat." Oh well. I can't wait to see the aftermath of that.

Edited by RumHam
My phone added a ton of blank spaces for some reason.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Wait, Callie is in her last year of college? Based on her relationship with her mom I assumed high school. Her reaction to finding her at that party is odd now. Shauna was definitely the one who didn't belong there.

Anyway I'm terrible at math and judging ages but she still can't be the forest baby, right?

I remember thinking when Jackie died "at least she won't get eaten, they've got all that bear meat." Oh well. I can't wait to see the aftermath of that.

Callie was said to be 16 in Season 1, making her born (probably) in 2005, or nine years after the plane crash and eight years after the baby was presumably born. So no, she's not the forest baby. She lied about being in college to try to impress the guy. The actress is 28, which I think confuses the issue.

The timeline is that the plane crash happened in spring 1996 (probably around May, if not June) and the current date is seven months later, so probably between November 1996 and January 1997. In the present day, the first episode of Season 2 took place in November 2021. The present day timeline appears to be more compressed, occurring over a few months so far.

In the 2019 pilot script, Shauna talks about having two daughters, Callie and an older daughter called Mandy who no longer lives at home. The pilot script also dates the crash to around 23 May 1994 (this was moved to 1996 once they decided to update the current events in the show to 2021 because it took over a year to sell the show and get it into production).

Even more ominous for "present day":

I wonder if it'll be revealed the Jackie has been there with Shauna all along; right to present day. 

Steve seems to have disappeared at the end of the episode. When they were searching the house for Sammy the dog was no where to be seen. Pray for Steve.

Looks like Sammy is going back with Taissa. Pray for Sammy.

Spoilers BTW.  

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

Callie was said to be 16 in Season 1, making her born (probably) in 2005, or nine years after the plane crash and eight years after the baby was presumably born. So no, she's not the forest baby. She lied about being in college to try to impress the guy. The actress is 28, which I think confuses the issue.

That, and she and her buddy seemed way too comfortable day drinking in a bar for 16/17 year olds. I thought people that age did their drinking in someone's basement, or the woods. Usually drinking cheap beer or something stolen from a parent's liquor cabinet. Post 9/11 fake IDs became a lot riskier to make too, I guy I knew got years in prison for it. I'm sure the kids still find a way, but I would have to assume getting into bars underage has gotten harder since I was a kid. 

Plus it makes the cop a lot creepier! Why did he follow his suspect's daughter to begin with? Then he buys someone he knows is underage gross cinnamon flavored whiskey as he flirts with her? 

I was also wondering where I knew that cop from, and IMDB tells me he was a cop on Stranger Things. Also that they re-cast Alikah and I'm embarrassed I didn't notice. 

Wasn't it Misty? She seemed to be looking around guiltily at that moment. Plus the theory I've seen:

Spoiler

She has Javi imprisoned somewhere, hence her interest in boy versus girl feces.

39 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Wasn't it Misty? She seemed to be looking around guiltily at that moment. Plus the theory I've seen:

Reveal hidden contents

Oh, maybe. She kinda has resting nervous/guilty face though. That's a crazy theory though. 

Spoiler

To what end? I don't see young misty as that nuts. I assume it's her experience in the woods that causes her to be "tie people to a bed and then kill them" crazy. 

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Hide contents

Misty would never. How dare you, Sir or Madam. 

Interest? She doesn't have an "interest". It isn't a hobby of hers. She's just repeating something she heard when she was a kid. A totally true, totally factual anecdote about human biology. Uh huh.