Yellowjackets (Showtime series / spoilers)

RumHam

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

I'm assuming Travis would not have been down with eating his brother, so what happens there is interesting.

Again, I think there's a huuuge difference between killing and eating his brother and "Javi died of dysentary, we have to eat him." 

I forget if it was the Donner party or the Alive guys, but I remember one group at least made sure no one had to eat their family. 

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

My wife just told me young Lottie was in Fury Road. I can’t believe I didn’t recognize her. 

Courtney Eaton? Yup, and it was interesting that she's getting a lot of attention from Yellowjackets at the exact time Riley Keough has blown up in Daisy Jones & The Six. Fury Road was once again ahead of the curve.

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

Again, I think there's a huuuge difference between killing and eating his brother and "Javi died of dysentary, we have to eat him." 

I forget if it was the Donner party or the Alive guys, but I remember one group at least made sure no one had to eat their family. 

Double extra spoilers from the new episode if you want them:

Spoiler

Javi is alive. How? No idea really and it seems supernatural.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Double extra spoilers from the new episode if you want them:

Hide contents

Javi is alive. How? No idea really and it seems supernatural.

Spoiler

He seemed traumatized to me. I wonder if he's been dealing more directly with "the wilderness" to survive.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:
  Reveal hidden contents

He seemed traumatized to me. I wonder if he's been dealing more directly with "the wilderness" to survive.

Spoiler

Idk, supplies alone seem like they'd be impossible for him to have for that long, even in a bunker (and even that is a bit vague). Plus given his age, length of time there etc., seems hard to imagine he did it all on his own.

Edited by Tywin et al.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hide contents

Idk, supplies alone seem like they'd be impossible for him to have for that long, even in a bunker (and even that is a bit vague). Plus given his age, length of time there etc., seems hard to imagine he did it all on his own.

Spoiler

Right, I'm suggesting that he maybe encountered the embodiment of whatever this supernatural thing they sometimes call "the wilderness" is. Like a witch or something who helped him, and that's why he's alive but also silent and shell-shocked. 

14 minutes ago, RumHam said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Right, I'm suggesting that he maybe encountered the embodiment of whatever this supernatural thing they sometimes call "the wilderness" is. Like a witch or something who helped him, and that's why he's alive but also silent and shell-shocked. 

Spoiler

Totally possible. He doesn't seem normal. I watched it late last night, but was he not totally unresponsive to Travis as he's saying he's his brother?

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hide contents

Totally possible. He doesn't seem normal. I watched it late last night, but was he not totally unresponsive to Travis as he's saying he's his brother?

Spoiler

Yeah, I don't think he says a word. 

17 minutes ago, RumHam said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, I don't think he says a word. 

Spoiler

He seemed like a zombie. Trauma could do that, but still.

I also keep thinking about the bear and necklace being back. That was weird. Will have to rewatch the episode again tonight.

Spoiler

I think it must be a pre-existing cult.  They took in and indoctrinated Javi.  They drugged the bear and set it lose her the cabin.  They electrocuted a bunch of bird to drop them on the roof.   No supernatural elements required.  I'm sure I said this last season too.

Edited by SpaceChampion

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:
  Hide contents

I think it must be a pre-existing cult.  They took in and indoctrinated Javi.  They drugged the bear and set it lose her the cabin.  They electrocuted a bunch of bird to drop them on the roof.   No supernatural elements required.  I'm sure I said this last season too.

Spoiler

That's really straining though. Like if that happened, I think many would argue the show jumped the shark by introducing such a retcon. 

What I could see, is one or two people who worship "it" taking him in. Associates of the dead guy in the cabin. But if you're gonna pull a "it turns out we're not alone out here" you do it as the cliffhanger. They hung it on "Javi's alive!" instead. 

Spoiler

I really hope they don’t go down the ‘they are not alone’ route because it’s like ‘there’s a second island’ from Lost. Just an added element that sort of wrecks most of the things they’ve been building up to.

I suspect there isn’t anyone else though, and I also don’t think anything supernatural is going on. Mainly because the modern day characters are not fearful of the supernatural in any way but are more just trying to get over trauma, and there is no knowledge of an existing cult.

So far I’m reading it as a story about mass psychosis and group dynamics playing out. The way they are attributing magical powers to Lottie due to what could be seen to be coincidence is probably exactly what it looks like it is, rather than genuine magic. 

Javi coming back is the only sticking point that makes me wonder about whether there is something else going on, but I’m sure that will be revealed soon. I wonder if he wasn’t hiding in the cabin somewhere. It’s simply not possible he could have survived outside wearing what he’s wearing.

it’s like ‘there’s a second island’ from Lost. Just an added element that sort of wrecks most of the things they’ve been building up to.

I don't think you watched Lost. Like of all the complaints, most jusified...I dunno I just never heard anyone complain that there was a second island. and I complained about that show a lot. 

13 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I don't think you watched Lost. Like of all the complaints, most jusified...I dunno I just never heard anyone complain that there was a second island. and I complained about that show a lot. 

It’s been a while and maybe it was just me but I always hated the second island. It’s on a list of things I thought made the show a lot less fun. 

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

They introduced the second island on the map in Danielle's cabin in Season 1, and people were confidently talking about it cropping up all the while until it did. That map also had the volcano on it where the final encounter was supposed to take place, until they realised they couldn't afford it and changed it to a random clifftop. For all the shit Lost gets (some of it deserved, some not so much), they did try to set some things up ahead of time.

Also, it's wasn't a "second Island," as such, it was just an offshore islet from the main one, just to make escape a little more difficult.

9 hours ago, RumHam said:
  Hide contents

That's really straining though. Like if that happened, I think many would argue the show jumped the shark by introducing such a retcon. 

What I could see, is one or two people who worship "it" taking him in. Associates of the dead guy in the cabin. But if you're gonna pull a "it turns out we're not alone out here" you do it as the cliffhanger. They hung it on "Javi's alive!" instead. 

What if it's inherently a bad show?  Then it's not straining at all, it's just being itself.  Shark jumping isn't out of place in a circus.

The acting and actresses are great, I don't think the same about the story and have low expectations for all of it.

Not spoiler protecting that, i said what i said.

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

What if it's inherently a bad show?  Then it's not straining at all, it's just being itself.  Shark jumping isn't out of place in a circus.

The acting and actresses are great, I don't think the same about the story and have low expectations for all of it.

Not spoiler protecting that, i said what i said.

We found pit girl!!!

I wouldn't expect the series to go down the road of Lost. The writers are quite aware of Lost to the point they purposely put in Lost callbacks into the show. Some of them I've spotted because they are obvious despite me not having seen Lost in many years now. But others I missed and read about in articles. 

The novel Ben was reading "The Magus." Its plot is a Lost callback. I've never read it so I had to have that pointed out to me. But there's a lot of Lost callbacks in general in the show. So no, I don't think they will be copying large plot points from Lost, quite the opposite as they are quite aware.

Edited by Martell Spy