Yellowjackets (Showtime series / spoilers)

RumHam

That was a pretty great episode. Elijah Wood and Christina Ricci are a promising double-act and adult Shauna dropping the last vague pretence about her motivations to scare the absolute shit out of the criminal was pretty good. Melanie Lynskey delivering the goods as always (even if her Last of Us character did feel a bit like a quick cover version of Shauna, but she didn't have time to develop that character).

Van could have been a touch more delicate about Taissia though. "You don't remember. You ate her face." That's a line that's going to stay with me.

Ben fantasising about another timeline where he didn't get on the damned plane feels like another nod to Lost, and rapidly increases the "he's next," feeling.

I'm thrown by Tai sleepwalking / changing personalities and it not being noticeable. That's a big change from what we've seen so far. I guess now we have to wonder when else she was not really herself, but talking normally. 

I also had to look up who "Charlotte" was, only to learn it's Lottie's full name.

I love Jeff's idea of an exciting spontaneous adventure. "You ever churn butter?"

Also liked Misty and the new girl stopping just short of acknowledging that Jackie was delicious. 

Young Misty is gonna eventually kill her new friend, Crystal, isn’t she? Maybe consume her like Crystal did to her twin in the womb(I could be reaching there). And probably Walter down the line if he turns out to be as shady as she is?

4 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Young Misty is gonna eventually kill her new friend, Crystal, isn’t she? Maybe consume her like Crystal did to her twin in the womb(I could be reaching there). And probably Walter down the line if he turns out to be as shady as she is?

Is that character even real? Has anyone seen Crystal interact with anyone else? 

This season is giving me some jumping the shark, off the rails vibes. I hope im wrong.

On 4/7/2023 at 7:48 PM, Werthead said:

Ben fantasising about another timeline where he didn't get on the damned plane feels like another nod to Lost, and rapidly increases the "he's next," feeling.

Pretty sure he know's he's fucked, too. If i were him I'd do everything I could to get my hands on that rifle.  

Ben's aversion to eating Crystal seems like foreshadowing that he's about to share in that same fate. The dream about staying behind is an hallucination caused by severe starvation.

Tailisa may be behind all the weird carvings. She probably has a severe and violent form of parasomnia as indicated when she bit her girlfriend's lip while asleep. The show is making it seem like there's paranormal activity going on, but I think everything will have a natural and real world explanation including the snow steam of Crystal's corpse and the birds falling to their deaths.

Travis's accidental hanging ended up having an acceptable explanation. He may have thought that he could induce a connection with the supernatural and not realized that Tailisa was behind some of the weirder events. Lottie's explanation to Natalie revealed how it actually happened. There was no murderer just a tragic delusion.

10 hours ago, Relic said:

Is that character even real? Has anyone seen Crystal interact with anyone else? 

This season is giving me some jumping the shark, off the rails vibes. I hope im wrong.

Yeah, people told her her singing/humming was annoying in the first episode of the season. I had the same thought though before I realized that. 

5 hours ago, Melifeather said:

Travis's accidental hanging ended up having an acceptable explanation. He may have thought that he could induce a connection with the supernatural and not realized that Tailisa was behind some of the weirder events. Lottie's explanation to Natalie revealed how it actually happened. There was no murderer just a tragic delusion.

I don't think Lottie was telling the truth there. If he was just planning to nearly die, why did he leave instructions on how to get into his bank account? Plus her version of events doesn't account for the presence of that expensive bottle of "I'm gonna hang myself so I may as well blow my whole paycheck" booze.

15 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

I doubt the show will ever answer for sure whether there's supernatural involved or not, and I think it's better this way 

So far everything supernatural can still be explained by mental breakdowns and mass psychosis, but yeah I agree, it's much better to leave it all ambiguous and open to interpretation. 

Alanis Morisette did the theme song this week, which makes me think it could be a recurring thing. Shirley Manson next? Or Courtney Love?

The main takeaways from this episode, other than the obvious about Javi, is Shauna's husband saying, "We only have one daughter," and Shauna's look of distress. Obviously Woods Baby never made it home, and none of the other girls said anything about it.

37 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Alanis Morisette did the theme song this week, which makes me think it could be a recurring thing. Shirley Manson next? Or Courtney Love?

The main takeaways from this episode, other than the obvious about Javi, is Shauna's husband saying, "We only have one daughter," and Shauna's look of distress. Obviously Woods Baby never made it home, and none of the other girls said anything about it.

Haven't watched yet, but shouldn't he know about woods baby from the diary that he read years ago? 

28 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Haven't watched yet, but shouldn't he know about woods baby from the diary that he read years ago? 

It depends if she mentioned it or tore those pages out.

Him saying, "This is our one shot, we only have one daughter," and Shauna looking really pained by that seems to be a pretty strong clue that he doesn't know.

28 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It depends if she mentioned it or tore those pages out.

Him saying, "This is our one shot, we only have one daughter," and Shauna looking really pained by that seems to be a pretty strong clue that he doesn't know.

You're probably right and I still haven't gotten that far, but A) that would still be true if the baby was stillborn or died shortly after birth. b) Lottie claims it's a boy anyway. Wouldn't any reminder of the child she lost in the woods cause her emotional pain? 

Ben asking if they would eat him seemed weird. It's a huge jump from eating someone who died and killing someone to eat them. 

Was there a reason Nat had to smuggle the fish out in her mouth? The mom had already left the room. 

Mari has really become the worst all of the sudden! 

They did go hard on Ben reading John Fowles' The Magus. Possibly a plot point (it was in Season 1 and Misty was reading it, but it was very prominent in this episode).

Also, Lauren Ambrose looked fantastic as Adult Van. Perfect casting.

Keeping track on the survivor count over on Reddit is interesting.

• There are currently 17 survivors: Akilah, Coach Ben, Crystal, Gen, Javi, Lottie, Mari, Melissa, Misty, Natalie, Shauna, Taissa, Travis, Van and 3 unknown redshirts (Crystal, Melissa and Gen are Ascended Extras from Season 1, though only Gen is played by the same person, to maximise confusion).
  • We know for 100% sure that 7 of the survivors escape: Lottie, Misty, Natalie, Shauna, Taissa, Travis and Van.
  • We know for 100% sure that 1 of the survivors falls in a pit and is eaten by a group of 8 (Pit Girl from the start of the first episode). Some people are assuming that the 8 are the survivors and Pit Girl is the last cannibal victim, although that's not a given: other characters could be elsewhere and one of the group of 8 could have died subsequent to that particular feast.
  • So that leaves at least 10 characters who fates are so far unknown: Akilah, Coach Ben, Crystal, Gen, Javi, Mari, Melissa, and the 3 redshirts. They seem to be playing up Coach Ben getting iced a lot, and certainly you'd expect him to be prominent or referenced if he'd survived. Of the rest, Mari and Akilah are the most prominent, as well as Javi. I'm assuming Travis would not have been down with eating his brother, so what happens there is interesting.
  • Also the wildcard of Shauna's baby, of course.