Writer for Dunk & Egg Series Revealed

Westeros

Via a report in Variety, we’ve learned that Steve Conrad—creator of Amazon’s Patriot and other shows—has been attached as lead writer and executive producer of a potential (emphasis on the potential) Game of Thrones-universe hour-long series based on the Dunk and Egg novellas [Note: Amazon affiliate link].

To date, three novellas introducing readers to Ser Duncan the Tall and Egg have been published, with a fourth existing in a partial state. Beyond that, George R.R. Martin revealed substantial hints about the future of the two characters as planned in additional novellas in our own The World of Ice and Fire, sketching out Dunk’s and Egg’s history all the way through their deaths.

https://www.westeros.org/Graphics/Images/_medium/Martin_Knight7Kingdoms_title.jpg

read on >>>

View the full article

The current status of the three new live-action prequel pitches Warner-Discovery started considering back in Spring 2021:

• Dunk and Egg - writer Steve Conrad attached for a pitch
  • 9 Voyages of Corlys Velaryon - writer Bruno Heller attached for a pitch
  • Nymeria & the 10,000 Ships of the Rhoynar - writer Amanda Segel is attached, advanced beyond the pitch phase and formally commissioned her to write a pilot episode script

Question:  Elio you've remarked before at your surprise at how much of the later adventures of Dunk & Egg that GRRM has planned out, and was willing to give you notes about for the World book.

With NO spoilers, I just want to check: did you mean that you put all of this in the World book, and you're surprised at how much he was willing to publicly release? Or did he share a truly massive amount of info with you...which didn't appear in the final book? 

Because we all know how the Third Blackfyre Rebellion ended, so it need not be recounted here...

Current Dunk & Egg novellas, the three gathered into the hardcover "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms":

• 1 - The Hedge Knight
  • 2 - The Sworn Sword
  • 3 - The Mystery Knight

Three out of a planned twelve novellas, of which the fourth and fifth are nearly done. Martin also released potential titles for some of the others:

• 4 - The She-Wolves of Winterfell
  • 5 - The Village Hero (Dunk & Egg go to the riverlands, get involved in Blackwood/Bracken feud, meet Egg's future wife Betha Blackwood)
  • - The Sellsword
  • - The Champion
  • - The Kingsguard
  • - The Lord Commander

Though that's nine names out of a planned twelve.

But from the World of Ice & Fire, we can glean that these are other major events in the lives of Dunk & Egg:

• - Third Blackfyre Rebellion
  • - Peak Uprising (Egg's father King Maekar dies in it, Egg succes him as King after a Great Council)
  • - Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion
  • - Broken Marriage Alliances: Jenny of Oldstones, revolt by Lyonel Baratheon, duel of LC Duncan vs Laughing Storm
  • - "The Rat, the Hawk, and the Pig"
  • - The Tragedy of Summerhall

On the one hand, this guy has written a lot of whimsical screenplays, which is a good sign for the show’s tone.

On the other hand, it breaks my heart that HBO might finish an ASOIAF story before the books do again.

George seems to be able to write Dunk and Egg with relative ease (and the histories too). Part of me has wondered if he should focus on those instead of TWOW if they bring him more happiness. I just want to read something.

12 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

GRRM outlined the next 50 years of Dunk and Egg

And that'll make for great reading. They're self contained stories, the three published are a great springboard and template to go ahead and write their own like material.

1 hour ago, chrisdaw said:

And that'll make for great reading. They're self contained stories, the three published are a great springboard and template to go ahead and write their own like material.

Martin has outlines for the next eight novellas. No, they're not just going to "write their own". Do you mean "expand and fill out by using his outline, as revealed in the World of Ice and Fire"? Because that's what they'd do.

Just now, The Dragon Demands said:

listen to me.

Martin has outlines for the next eight novellas. No, they're not just going to "write their own". Do you mean "expand and fill out by using his outline, as revealed in the World of Ice and Fire"? Because that's what they'd do.

You are repeating yourself like you think I don't understand something, but I'm not sure what. You say no they're not going to write their own Dunk and Egg stories. Ok. I think they should, and hope they do. Self contained stories that don't conflict with the GRRM future of the characters as opposed to just adapting the unwritten outlined future stories.

Oh you mean EXPANDING from the framework, yeah.  I thought you meant write alternate ones.

...you mean you think they'll invent "episodes" to round out a "TV Season"?.....they might do that, like actually show what they did in Dorne between the first and second novellas. But it's also possible they'll just make TV movies as straight adaptations of the novellas. 

But "expand on the framework"? Yeah, that's fine.

As Variety exclusively reported in January 2021, the one-hour show would be based on the series of fantasy novellas

Not sure where this TV movie thing comes from. It's explicit that they're trying to make a series. A limited series, perhaps, but a series. Not TV movies.

Re: "The Village Hero", it is not "mostly written". Only the fourth Dunk and Egg story is, but that one is incomplete.

Is 'Patriot' any good? Being Dunk and Egg the most obvious pitch for a new GOT show, and the only one based on an actual fully developed story from Martin, I find a little bit shocking that it has been given to who seams the least experienced writer/showrunner of the group.

I'm hoping the pitch fails, though. I'm also in the group that would prefer D&E not being adapted. Their short stories are wonderful, and there are still many mysteries in their lives that it'd be a pity not to discover them through Martin's prose.

9 hours ago, Ran said:

Not sure where this TV movie thing comes from. It's explicit that they're trying to make a series. A limited series, perhaps, but a series. Not TV movies.

Re: "The Village Hero", it is not "mostly written". Only the fourth Dunk and Egg story is, but that one is incomplete.

(sees bolded type)

....maybe they're just assuming that?

This raises many questions.

At the same time The Long Night had been officially cancelled.(Thank God). 

I mean, some GoT stuff on the screen would be cool and all, but not this anyway. The best I can think of is a remake of the original series 20 or 30 years later, altough I imagine it wouldn't be a pleasing job to do it unless George throws more books at us. 

• 7 months later...
On 12/3/2021 at 1:14 PM, Daeron the Daring said:

At the same time The Long Night had been officially cancelled.(Thank God). 

I mean, some GoT stuff on the screen would be cool and all, but not this anyway. The best I can think of is a remake of the original series 20 or 30 years later, altough I imagine it wouldn't be a pleasing job to do it unless George throws more books at us. 

A lot of these seem like HBO want to be able to do GOT without Martin.

Which is stupid.

Especially when he has a huge number of stories sketched out. Robert's Rebellion, Aegon I, Maegor, and so on.

Archived