Bloodraven vs. Varys: Who was the better spymaster?

the title says it all. For me personally, it's Bloodraven. Sorcery and a network of spies that spread throughout the kingdom as opposed to just within the walls of KL. Also a much more effective spymaster in the sense that he stopped 3-4 rebellions through his network of spies. Varys has stopped zero.

6 hours ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

Also a much more effective spymaster in the sense that he stopped 3-4 rebellions through his network of spies. Varys has stopped zero.

Well, given that Varys is actually orchestrating a rebellion against his king and want to see him overthrown, I wouldn't hold that against him.

I don't think I'd want any of them as my Master of Whispers. Both resort to awful means to achieve their petty goals.

27 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

That’s literally the definition of the Master of Whispers’ job. Spying, infiltrating, deceit, sinister orchestrations behind the scenes.

Lmao agreed. We aren't arguing who is has better morals or who operates the most morally, it's the person who is the most efficient and effective at their job.

4 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

Well, given that Varys is actually orchestrating a rebellion against his king and want to see him overthrown, I wouldn't hold that against him.

I think this bit here ends the argument.  If I'm a king I don't want a spymaster who is actively looking to overthrow me.  As far as we know Bloodraven was actually loyal to the kings that he served.

2 hours ago, frenin said:

Bloodraven had ears in every corner of the Realm whereas in Vary's case, his ears disappeared the further one gets from King's Landing.

Bloodraven ran what can be called a police state so...

We aren't arguing on the basis of governments. We are arguing who was more efficient at stopping rebellions and finding traitors easier. Bloodraven wins.

11 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

I don't think I'd want any of them as my Master of Whispers. Both resort to awful means to achieve their petty goals.

I'd hardly say that Bloodraven's goals were petty.

4 hours ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

We aren't arguing on the basis of governments. We are arguing who was more efficient at stopping rebellions and finding traitors easier. Bloodraven wins.

I'm a big fan of yours homie but you're arguing in bad faith.

Of course, Bloodraven is much more efficient at stopping rebellions and finding traitors than Varys. Why? Because Varys doesn't want to stop rebellions and find traitors. Not only does Varys never really try, Varys is a rebel and a traitor.

A better comparison would be Bloodraven and (let's say) Mysaria.

Bloodraven is probably the best Master of Whisperers that the Seven Kingdoms has ever seen. I don't think it's going to get much better than that.

6 hours ago, frenin said:

Bloodraven ran what can be called a police state so...

This kind of comment is golden.

It's something that not a lot of people talk about or notice and it's a big part of the reason why no one liked like whole "King Bran" thing in the mummer's farce.

13 hours ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

Him running a police state is the reason of his succes.

Archived