the Doomed Dragon's Damnation

EggBlue

And talk was heard in camp of a prophecy of ancient days that said, “When the hammer shall fall upon the dragon, a new king shall arise, and none shall stand before him.” Whence came these words remains a mystery (not from Hammer himself, who could neither read nor write)    

_Fire&Blood (The Dying of the Dragons—Rhaenyra Triumphant)

there was a prophecy about the hammer that falls upon the dragon, one that even the blacksmith -Hugh Hammer- who couldn't read nor write had heard of...… so , how come our well-read prophecy obsessed dragon prince Rhaegar never imagined that Robert Baratheon whose famous weapon of choice was the warhammer would be his end?? 

1 hour ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

It was a foretelling of the battle of the trident. Robert’s war hammer caved in Rhaegar’s armor.  It’s just like the direwolf and the stag at beginning. The Baratheons bring trouble. 

yes it was. and it was one that was even mentioned in a history book about Rhaegar's family. and we know that Rhaegar cares about prophecies , probably signs too...

so my question is , didn't he ever think that prophecy was going to come true when he (the dragon) meets Robert (the hammer) in the battle field? 

2 hours ago, EggBlue said:

there was a prophecy about the hammer that falls upon the dragon, one that even the blacksmith -Hugh Hammer- who couldn't read nor write had heard of...… so , how come our well-read prophecy obsessed dragon prince Rhaegar never imagined that Robert Baratheon whose famous weapon of choice was the warhammer would be his end?? 

This is a really good catch. I've never noticed that before.

1 hour ago, EggBlue said:

yes it was. and it was one that was even mentioned in a history book about Rhaegar's family. and we know that Rhaegar cares about prophecies , probably signs too...

so my question is , didn't he ever think that prophecy was going to come true when he (the dragon) meets Robert (the hammer) in the battle field? 

But...that's the thing about prophecy, no?  One cannot (or very, very rarely) interpret it correctly ahead of time.  It is only after the fact that the vast majority of prophecies can be said to fit a certain situation or event.  I think the whole idea of prophecies are one of the many tropes Martin is playing with and subverting in ASoIaF.  I love his quotes like [paraphrasing] "dealing in prophecy is like wielding a sword with no hilt", etc.;)

What is the source for this quote? Which book?

Rhaegar probably wouldn’t have even cared if he put it together. The emo mope is so obsessed with prophecy that he probably would have deliberately tanked the Battle of the Trident just so he’d die the way he was supposed to.

1 hour ago, Prince of the North said:

But...that's the thing about prophecy, no?  One cannot (or very, very rarely) interpret it correctly ahead of time.  It is only after the fact that the vast majority of prophecies can be said to fit a certain situation or event.  I think the whole idea of prophecies are one of the many tropes Martin is playing with and subverting in ASoIaF.  I love his quotes like [paraphrasing] "dealing in prophecy is like wielding a sword with no hilt", etc.;)

yeah , it's an amazing quote... yet, one would wonder.. he seemed too confident in his conversation with Jaimie that he'll win... didn't he ever doubt? that wasn't a hard thing to put 2 (hammer) and 2 ( dragon) together and doubt if it's going to be 4 (his death)..you know ?..

1 hour ago, Canon Claude said:

Rhaegar probably wouldn’t have even cared if he put it together. The emo mope is so obsessed with prophecy that he probably would have deliberately tanked the Battle of the Trident just so he’d die the way he was supposed to.

that's actually what I assumed :) maybe he thought he needs to die/be sacrificed this way ..it would explain his strategic mistakes in battle of trident ( people who seem to understand these kind of stuff more than me say he had high ground and didn't have to go to ruby ford and all that) ...still , I think he never imagined his promised prince or his little daughter would be harmed as long as his honorable cousin Robert was going to be in charge and that they'll eventually fulfil their destiny!

7 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Ok thanks.  I guess Rhaegar didn't read that book.

:D that'll be a cruel irony . the prince who awed every maester of Citadel by his passion to read, failed to read the one book that talked about his own faith! 

but seriously, there is no way he hadn't seen that prophecy somewhere.. there must have been a copy of the prophecy in Dragonstone. how else would Hammer heard about it? and Rhaegar must have been effectively looking for dragon prophecies...

7 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

the prince who awed every maester of Citadel by his passion to read, failed to read the one book that talked about his own faith! 

He did seem to think he would prevail at the Trident:

A Feast for Crows - Jaime I

Rhaegar had put his hand on Jaime's shoulder. "When this battle's done I mean to call a council. Changes will be made. I meant to do it long ago, but . . . well, it does no good to speak of roads not taken. We shall talk when I return."

Those were the last words Rhaegar Targaryen ever spoke to him. Outside the gates an army had assembled, whilst another descended on the Trident. So the Prince of Dragonstone mounted up and donned his tall black helm, and rode forth to his doom.

Just now, LynnS said:

He did seem to think he would prevail at the Trident:

yes he did...still.. maybe he interpreted it wrong.... maybe he thought the hammer had already fallen upon them ( Robert started a rebellion against the dragons with swinging his warhammer) or that he thought the Dragon was his father ( because Robert would be the downfall of Aerys in a way even if Rhaegar wins and takes Aerys down )... and he thought HE -Rhaegar- will be the new king that would arise and that no one shall stand against him when he destroys the threat of the Hammer.

On 12/1/2021 at 1:35 PM, EggBlue said:

Rhaegar misunderstood a lot of things. He’s the poster man for misreading prophecies. He was not good at it if he missed something as fundamental as the gender neutrality in his own ancestor’s language.

Archived