Underrated houses

Among the many noble houses of the kingdoms of Westeros, from the North to Dorne, which ones are in your opinion underappreciated and not talked about enough despite having some really badass moments and/or character or really interesting history or particular personalities or several of these at the same time ? 

North: Reeds - Flints

Riverlands: Blackwoods & Brackens (I love their feud!) - Darry - Whent- Strong

Stormlands : I only care about Connigtons in that area and only one Jon Connington at that( Red Ronnet better die as soon as possible...jerk )

Crownlands: who cares?! though more Velaryons in the main series would have been nice

Vale: Royces

Reach : none is underrated for sure!

Dorne: all of them! but Daynes should have been more in the books

4 hours ago, EggBlue said:

North: Reeds - Flints

Riverlands: Blackwoods & Brackens (I love their feud!) - Darry - Whent- Strong

Stormlands : I only care about Connigtons in that area and only one Jon Connington at that( Red Ronnet better die as soon as possible...jerk )

Crownlands: who cares?! though more Velaryons in the main series would have been nice

Vale: Royces

Reach : none is underrated for sure!

Dorne: all of them! but Daynes should have been more in the books

Your coment made me think about how the Houses of the Westerlands aren't prominent in the story. Beyond the Lannisters which noble family of westerland was developed?

Westerlings ...?

Edit: There're Clegane and Payne but they are like two members in each one.

North - Reed; Mormont; Cassel 

Vale - Waynwood; Corbray 

Riverlands - Piper; Smallwood; Blackwood 

Westlands - Payne; Westerling; Marbrand 

Crownlands - Stokeworth (Bronn)

Stormlands - Tarth; Swann; Penrose 

Reach - Tarly

Dorne - Dayne; Santagar 

Iron Islands - Harlaw

6 hours ago, Odej said:

Your coment made me think about how the Houses of the Westerlands aren't prominent in the story. Beyond the Lannisters which noble family of westerland was developed?

Westerlings ...?

Edit: There're Clegane and Payne but they are like two members in each one.

you're right.. they are even forgettable . there were mentions of Crackhal and Marband too , but that's it. Lannisters overshadow the lot of them. maybe in the next book when we finally get to see Westerland and the Rock ,we'll get a bit more of houses there.

and I forgot Iron Islands too:).. Harlaw and Blacktyde are the ones underrated to me...the rest? not so interesting 

5 hours ago, Ser Ilyn's Tongue said:

Rosby. Due to their proximity to the capital and the potential they have to influence events there, esp. in times of crisis. A less than loyal lord in Rosby could give the monarch in KL problems in difficult times.

Surely Rosby must be a fairly wealthy house too (being on the main road to KL)?

I believe there's a good chance the writer agrees with you. Rosby's inheritance issue in the feast and Cersei's neglect surrounding the matter can't be random. I hope we see an interesting character in late lord Rosby's ward and heir whom Cersei dismissed without asking his name!

House Hoare, they were really a bag of fresh air in the Ironborn history with them having assimilated the Andal flesh and culture, introducing many reforms and the concept of realpolitik to the Iron Islands with them abandonning the long obsolete Old Way to developp ties with the mainland and Free Cities, strongly developping trade with them encouraging Ironborn to become bold sailors and merchants and building an important merchant fleet, adopting and protecting the Faith of the Seven, disminishing the power of the Drowned Men, fighting thralldome and reaving and when they conquered the Riverlands it was by adopting land warfare and using the Riverlanders' ressentment of the Durrandon kings and Stormlanders to their advantage.

The Ironborn really lost more than the Riverlands when house Hoare died, they lost the cleverest and most pragmatic ruling family they ever had with the Greyjoys being very disappointing successors (aside from Quellon Greyjoy) in comparison. 

On 12/1/2021 at 12:45 PM, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Among the many noble houses of the kingdoms of Westeros, from the North to Dorne, which ones are in your opinion underappreciated and not talked about enough despite having some really badass moments and/or character or really interesting history or particular personalities or several of these at the same time ? 

I’ll add Darry with the Celtigars. 

On 12/1/2021 at 3:36 PM, EggBlue said:

Blackwoods & Brackens (I love their feud!)

Their feud was interesting until WOIAF made it totally one-sided, without a hint of grey.

I'd like to see more of House Blackwood. From what we've read so far, mostly about Tytos and Holster, they seem smart and honorable. Also, House Mormont contains a number of colorful characters.

Here are my faves:

Crownlands: Bar Emmon, Hollard, Massey, Longwaters, Cressey, Chyttering, Blount, Hayford, Celtigar, Sunglass, and Mallery

Reach: Mullendore, Serry, Fossoway (both branches), Norcross, Florent, Bulwer, Caswell, Graceford, Meadows, Merryweather, and Redwyne

Iron Islands: Volmark, Goodbrother, Stonetree, Stonehouse, Wynch, Netley, Farwynd, Merlyn

North: Crowl, Magnar, Stane, Hornwood, Ryswell, Cassel, Karstark, Flint (all branches), Ironsmith, the extinct houses, and the Neck houses

Riverlands: Butterwell, Whent, Mudd, Shawney, Vance (both branches), Mallister, Blackwood, and Erenford

Vale: Sunderland, Longthorpe, Borrell, Torrent, Tollett, Gulltown Arryns, Pryor, Melcolm, Egen, and Hersey

Westerlands: Marbrand, Yew, Ruttiger, Plumm, Algood, Doggett, Lefford, Farman, Reyne, and Tarbeck

Stormlands: Kellington, Swygert, Estermont, Hasty, Penrose, Grandison, Dondarrion, and Wylde

Dorne: Ladybright, Toland, Vaith, Allyrion, Dalt, Uller, and the extinct houses

I see many list with very popular houses who are not in any way underrated. 

My list:

North: Ryswell/Flint of Flint's finger

Vale: Sunderland/ Lipps

Riverlands: Smallwood/Mooton

Westerlands: Banefort/Kenning

Reach: Costayne/Mullendore

Crownlands: Massey/Rosby

Dorne: Fowler

Stormlands: Caron/Wylde

Iron Islands: Farwynd/ Humble

2 hours ago, Lightoftheast said:

I see many list with very popular houses who are not in any way underrated. 

My list:

North: Ryswell/Flint of Flint's finger

Vale: Sunderland/ Lipps

Riverlands: Smallwood/Mooton

Westerlands: Banefort/Kenning

Reach: Costayne/Mullendore

Crownlands: Massey/Rosby

Dorne: Fowler

Stormlands: Caron/Wylde

Iron Islands: Farwynd/ Humble

We literally know nothing about Flint of Flint’s Finger. There was a whole thread earlier about how Robin Flint isn’t actually the Lord of Flint’s Finger, he’s Lyessa’s son, so he’s affiliated with Widow’s Watch.

Archived