The Wheel of Time: Jane Farstrider Herself (Book Spoilers)

Ran

3 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

ETA: interesting casting. Two Rivers doesn't seem to be the only place with a much more diverse looking population, clearly. 

Yeah, they don't even seem to be bothering with it, really. Everything's going to be a mélange except I'd guess for the Aiel.

The Aiel and perhaps the Sea Folk if they use them in the adaptation. Those are the only populations that would have kept separate prior to the breaking and then throughout (I'm guessing about the Sea Folk - we don't know about them in the Age of Legends, do we?). Some people are speculating about Siuan being Sea Folk, so we'll see if/how they work that in. I could see Tear having a local Sea Folk descended population, being a port and all.

I've seen a still showing - presumably - Fal Dara, and it had all or mostly Asian faces. It's possible that the fringe countries will have a dominant look with smaller amounts of diversity.

8 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Maybe he's an anti-vaxxer and then wouldn't let him back on set?  :unsure:

I don't think so. The first restart of production was before any vaccine was available. 

48 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

The Aiel and perhaps the Sea Folk if they use them in the adaptation. Those are the only populations that would have kept separate prior to the breaking and then throughout (I'm guessing about the Sea Folk - we don't know about them in the Age of Legends, do we?). Some people are speculating about Siuan being Sea Folk, so we'll see if/how they work that in. I could see Tear having a local Sea Folk descended population, being a port and all.

The Sea Folk didn't exist in the Age of Legends. They developed during the Breaking. Their ancestors were people who decided to ride out the Breaking by taking refuge on remote islands where there weren't any male channellers, or even on ships  constantly kept at sea (I'd have assumed the Breaking would have generated tidal waves, but apparently not).

I always thought the Sea Folk developed their Windfinder skills as a result of having to fight insane weather and tidal effects from the Breaking. 

As for the Aiel, it's implied that the Dashain scattered all over. Certainly, the Amayar, the Tinkers and the Aiel-like tribes that are in Seanchan don't look like the Aiel in the Waste. 

So only a subset survived to the Waste, so there's some sense in them being homogenous. But if they have a hard time casting that way, there can always be a few Aiel clans, including the Taraad, that have a lot of red haired members, but the same needn't be the case for all the Clans. 

So, the idea that the individual known as the Dragon had been reborn many, many times before; as far as I remember, and correct me if I'm wrong, that wasn't widely known in the books?

People believed Lews Therin was going to be reborn to fight the Dark One but the idea that Lews Therin himself was a reincarnation of someone who had fought the Dark One before was, I thought, suspected only by a few people who had studied the prophecies (otherwise why did people in Lews Therins' time just refer to him as 'The Dragon' without any reference to him being a reincarnation?)

Based on Logain referring to the "thousands of lives I've lived before" the show seems to be going with it being a commonly held belief?

58 minutes ago, Darryk said:

So, the idea that the individual known as the Dragon had been reborn many, many times before; as far as I remember, and correct me if I'm wrong, that wasn't widely known in the books?

People believed Lews Therin was going to be reborn to fight the Dark One but the idea that Lews Therin himself was a reincarnation of someone who had fought the Dark One before was, I thought, suspected only by a few people who had studied the prophecies (otherwise why did people in Lews Therins' time just refer to him as 'The Dragon' without any reference to him being a reincarnation?)

Based on Logain referring to the "thousands of lives I've lived before" the show seems to be going with it being a commonly held belief?

No, everyone knows and believes that souls are born again and again, and over the course of the Wheel.

Now, whether the same soul is the Dragon in every turning... That there may be some doubt over, but given how easily Rand and Mat recognize the Heroes of the Horn when they arrive, probably not. Certain souls that have ascended to become Heroes are known to be born again and again. 

On 12/3/2021 at 2:15 PM, Ran said:

I kept telling myself that the warder grief ritual they did was one in which the selected person had to enact the grief of everyone there or something, so that Lan was to some degree acting out a ritualized role rather than conveying his personal feelings.

I doubt that's what they were thinking, but nothing contradicts it. Call it my personal head canon for the show, to try and keep TV-show Lan a bit closer to the stoic character from the novel.

I am going to go with this.  Otherwise it was just weird.  I enjoyed episodes 4 and 5.  I agree too much time spent on Stepin, but my daughter who never read the books had a lot of questions on the Forsaken, so I think that intro was OK.

My daughter still really likes it and was upset you don't get every episode at once like Netflix.

On 12/4/2021 at 1:20 AM, Babblebauble said:

Schlock. Pure schlock. I thought I was being hard on the show at work earlier, saying it was like season 8. May the light illumine me, that was horrible. Just horrible. What the hell is this Judkins character thinking??? Who is running this clown car company? You cut Caemlyn, the MAIN CHARACTER MEETING THE PRINCESS, and the badass Elaida Sedai, so that you can focus on two characters who do not survive as many episodes!??

And what's with all the hocus pocus rituals? Everybody's got a ritual! Why?? Five minutes of each episode, at least, is structured around some stupid ceremony that they made up. Which is fine, I guess, if the characters are actually gonna get developed instead of fluttering along with nothing to do.

And if you're writing a story how in the hell do you not present Nynaeve as at least maybe being interested in the Reds? I'm not saying that fits the character, but you keep structuring scenes and dialogue around the possibility that she would go red, while everything about the character screams (as it should) that she would never do that. This completely eliminates any tension from Liandrin trying to recruit her, or explain why she might be more red than Moiraine thinks. Which means you're wasting my fucking time by bringing it up after that initial conversation, where it's appropriately treated as a joke. Who is writing this!?! Why? Why are they writing it like they've never seen a TV before? 

The sets look good. The CGI is good. I even think y'all are being hard on the Loial. But the story is just terrible. 

I said the same thing to my brother (who read the books).  Why spend all this time on Stepin and cut out Caemlyn.  I don't understand that part.  But I am enjoying the show like I enjoyed GOT.  A different story based on the books.

Regarding the book spoiler thingie, is it really necessary?

I mean, it's quite obvious by now that they're not following the source material all that much.

Not sure whatever happens in the books could spoil anything in the TV series. Other than Rand is the Dragon Reborn, that is. But I guess that even that is up in the air at the moment.

16 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

Regarding the book spoiler thingie, is it really necessary?

I mean, it's quite obvious by now that they're not following the source material all that much.

Not sure whatever happens in the books could spoil anything in the TV series. Other than Rand is the Dragon Reborn, that is. But I guess that even that is up in the air at the moment.

Well that seems just a tad irrational. I take it you're in the "few things changed means everything is changed so this isn't even a real adaptation" camp?

12 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Good casting for Uno. I hope Arnas can pull off Masema's zealotry/madness, and hopefully make it different from the Whitecloak zealotry.

I'm assuming Masema's role is going to expand, as well? I was never a fan of his "arc" such as it was, in the books. 

Werthead explained Caemlyn pretty well. For a show with a non unlimited budget you can’t make Caemlyn and cast multiple major actors for a single scene. Caemlyn is a pretty minor spot in the story that isn’t used til book five. Tar Valon is used in pretty much every book. Heck even in the books Moiraine wanted to go to TV and then got sidetracked to Caemlyn. Tar Valon is just a far more important location to flesh out than Caemlyn no matter how much you like the Rand in the palace scene.

I'll be curious to see the next episode and how that leads them to taking off to Fal Dara and, presumably, the Blight without a small army of Aes Sedai and warders to back them up.

I'm going to assume they're going to do some sort of thing where Siuan is publicly super-dismissive of Moiraine and her belief any of them can be the Dragon Reborn, while privately believing her and telling her to risk going off in hopes that the Black Ajah won't pursue or something...

It's going to be really important to explain to people why they're going to go on this dangerous mission without more support, anyways.

12 minutes ago, Ran said:

I'll be curious to see the next episode and how that leads them to taking off to Fal Dara and, presumably, the Blight without a small army of Aes Sedai and warders to back them up.

I'm going to assume they're going to do some sort of thing where Siuan is publicly super-dismissive of Moiraine and her belief any of them can be the Dragon Reborn, while privately believing her and telling her to risk going off in hopes that the Black Ajah won't pursue or something...

It's going to be really important to explain to people why they're going to go on this dangerous mission without more support, anyways.

Yes. In the books, the only reason Moiraine doesn't take a detour to Tar Valon to get more help is that she believes there is no time. She definitely believed the situation was urgent enough to bring in other sisters, otherwise.

I do wonder, though, if the threat to the Eye won't be revealed till they reach Fal Dara (with maybe Min involved), and they leave Tar Valon for different reasons. 

29 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

I do wonder, though, if the threat to the Eye won't be revealed till they reach Fal Dara (with maybe Min involved), and they leave Tar Valon for different reasons. 

It would have to be a compelling reason to risk the Ways. 

Archived