The Wheel of Time: Jane Farstrider Herself (Book Spoilers)

Ran

2 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

Well that seems just a tad irrational. I take it you're in the "few things changed means everything is changed so this isn't even a real adaptation" camp?

For real. So far we've had a bunch of young callow folk being recruited by an Aes Sedai, the attack on the Two Rivers, their flight via Taren Ferry, being split up in Shadar Logoth, meeting the Tinkers, encountering Darkfriends on the road, being captured by Whitecloaks and reuniting in the big city and meeting Loial. They're also very clearly doing the Ways, Fal Dara, the Blight and the Eye of the World.

They're clearly not following the novel page-by-page, but everyone whinging "this has nothing in common with the books" is engaging in hyperbole. There are major variances but the main plot threads are being followed, which I suspect will not - and cannot - be the case for later books/seasons.

29 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

It would have to be a compelling reason to risk the Ways. 

If I was going to script it, I'd have Padan Fain steal the dagger in Tar Valon and flee into the Ways, forcing Team Moiraine to pursue him urgently and on the low-down, as they wouldn't want too many other people finding out about that whole situation.

Of course you have the complication if Mat doesn't go with them to Fal Dara to recover the dagger, but they can do some voiceover to indicate that proximity to the dagger is not required for him to survive or Siuan can arrange for an Aes Sedai Healing or something in Tar Valon to protect him.

32 minutes ago, Werthead said:

If I was going to script it, I'd have Padan Fain steal the dagger in Tar Valon and flee into the Ways, forcing Team Moiraine to pursue him urgently and on the low-down, as they wouldn't want too many other people finding out about that whole situation.

Of course you have the complication if Mat doesn't go with them to Fal Dara to recover the dagger, but they can do some voiceover to indicate that proximity to the dagger is not required for him to survive or Siuan can arrange for an Aes Sedai Healing or something in Tar Valon to protect him.

Why would a Fain steals the dagger plot involve the entire group to go after him? Especially if Mat doesn't go. With all the talk about Nynaeve becoming a novice, and presumably Egwene, too, both would stay put. I don't see a logical reason for Moiraine to take them with her. 

I'm going to assume Liandrin is revealed as BA in an episode or two, which compels Moraine to not trust other Aes Sedai once she hears news about the Eye. It might also be interesting if Ishamael or another Forsaken shows up in Tar Valon, which would be a good reason for Moiraine to not leave anyone behind, to keep them under her eye.

4 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Why would a Fain steals the dagger plot involve the entire group to go after him? Especially if Mat doesn't go. With all the talk about Nynaeve becoming a novice, and presumably Egwene, too, both would stay put. I don't see a logical reason for Moiraine to take them with her. 

Agreed. And why take Rand or Perrin, for that matter? Why take all the potential Dragon Reborns off to a dangerous mission rather than leaving them put in the safety of the Tower?

I'm sure they're going to come up with something, but whether it'll be a good something or a meh something, we don't know.

The reason they go in the books is because of the danger Moiraine perceives at the Eye, correct? (can't remember specifics other than the Aiel message) It's possible Siuan got ahold of the info and since they don't know which of them is the Dragon, they need to take them all. Sneak the girls out of the Tower and grab the boys.

Anyway, we shall find out soon enough.

1 minute ago, Gertrude said:

The reason they go in the books is because of the danger Moiraine perceives at the Eye, correct? (can't remember specifics other than the Aiel message) It's possible Siuan got ahold of the info and since they don't know which of them is the Dragon, they need to take them all. Sneak the girls out of the Tower and grab the boys.

Anyway, we shall find out soon enough.

Yes, but why not take other sisters, then? That's the part that's a bit hard to swallow.

17 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

Yes, but why not take other sisters, then? That's the part that's a bit hard to swallow.

They'll wave it away with "the Green Man reveals himself only to those with need. More people may make him think we don't need him."

Or something like that.

21 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

Maybe it's something they realize only the Dragon can combat? Maybe they were planning on getting back up in Fal Dara? Maybe they just wanted to see Min and thought the Ways were an acceptable risk? Something recently has really upped the danger of the Ways (frequent trolloc use, the Dark One's Touch) that brought the threat level as they understood it from "dangerous" to "no, really, it's super dangerous now".

They've got writers, they will give us a reason. Hopefully it's a good reason. I don't think it's strange they they wouldn't ask for back up because the Dragon hasn't been proclaimed yet and he's at his most vulnerable. Siuan and Moiraine are super paranoid, no way would they trust other Sisters being close enough to even sniff out this possibility.

1 hour ago, Babblebauble said:

They'll wave it away with "the Green Man reveals himself only to those with need. More people may make him think we don't need him."

Or something like that.

If the Green Man is even in the show. He features only twice in the series. Potentially, they could use an older Ogier instead or let the place be guarded by wards rather than a physically present keeper.

We know that Padan Fain goes into the ways, but that could of course be in pursuit of the group, rather than him being pursued by Moiraine's group.

48 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Luckily the next episode will have more Aes Sedai in the picture thanks to the Hall scenes. Hopefully there will be more with speaking lines.

Leane and Siuan are in the next episode with speaking lines (we've seen them in the trailer) and I believe a Yellow Sitter is also credited, suggesting she has a speaking role.

I just though of a reason to use the Ways - the Whitecloaks and lack of open support from the Tower. As we've seen in this episode, the Whitecloacks are prowling the country-side near TV with impunity. So whatever the reason for not being able to bring other AS to help, Moiraine then realizes she can't just have the group ride to Fal Dara because of the Whitecloaks. Granted the wolf attack on their camp looked bad, but somehow I highly doubt they were wiped out and/or driven off. Bornhald may even show up with reinforcements.

If they're using the Ways to get to Fal Dara; and then on to the Eye Of The World; they're probably expecting to see the Dragon channel. There's a 3 in 4 chance the dragon is male.

Why would they want a small army of Aes Sedai around at the time, who would gentle him as a reflex?
Why would they risk some (or 13) of those Aes Seadai being black, and potentially turning the dragon (either gender) to the dark side against his/her will?

If searching for the DR is a secret between Moraine and Siuan then using the DR is surely a secret too, so they would only want the fab five to travel through the ways. Of course that means they should have Mat too but they have no choice but to handwave that.

1 hour ago, fionwe1987 said:

I guess I'm just worried it'll be of the "reports of four ta'veren" variety of nonsensical reasons. 

It was actually “rumours of four ta’veren” which is an even dumber line.

It may have been Rafe's Ask Me Anything on Reddit, but I did see somewhere that the "rumors" were from her Eyes and Ears. That would have been so much better than just a flat "rumors".... 

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Brandon making some reasonable points here, whilst identifying some of the weak points of the show.

Interesting that there's no non-disparagement clause. Is that standard, though? I feel it's being implied that it is not, but I know Le Guin, for instance, definitely disparaged Earthsea (with a lot of justification), so if think this is standard for authors whose works are being adapted?

It got a bit awkward and amusing when they started talking about writer pay differences between Hollywood writers and book authors, while Brandon's hands were busy signing thousands of cover pages and poor Dan had nothing in front of him.  

3 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

Interesting that there's no non-disparagement clause. Is that standard, though? I feel it's being implied that it is not, but I know Le Guin, for instance, definitely disparaged Earthsea (with a lot of justification), so if think this is standard for authors whose works are being adapted?

Well, it's already reared its head in the WoT situation already. Harriet blowing up at Red Eagle allegedly violated the non-disparagement clause from the original Red Eagle/Robert Jordan agreement in 2004, which is why they tried to sue her (I suspect RJ slagging them off with his last public utterance may have counted as well, but even they might have balked at suing someone who had days left to live).

In a lot of cases, non-disparagement clauses are standard but in some other cases they are regarded as difficult to enforce for the very reason Red Eagle found out, that suing the author of the beloved property (or their estate) you are trying to adapt is the best way to get the Internet to round on you and rinse you publicly.

Archived