The Wheel of Time: Jane Farstrider Herself (Book Spoilers)

Ran

12 hours ago, Lin Meili said:

I'm really surprised how much I'm looking forward to the next episode.:cheers:

Sanderson has noted its his favourite of the first six (nobody outside the production team has seen #7 or #8 yet).

14 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

Oh he's on the record on this. That whole Tam scene was entirely him, and based on his interpretation of the character.

You mean that the Tam scene was written by him, or that it was his idea to have Tam show up in the first place?

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Sanderson has noted its his favourite of the first six

From this video chat, it seems he was talking about all eight episodes when he calls "four, five, six" as his favorite of the season. Which suggests 7 and 8 are rougher in his mind.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

From this video chat, it seems he was talking about all eight episodes when he calls "four, five, six" as his favorite of the season. Which suggests 7 and 8 are rougher in his mind.

I believe Sanderson has read the scripts for 7 and 8 but not seen the finished articles.

Just now, Werthead said:

I believe Sanderson has read the scripts for 7 and 8 but not seen the finished articles.

He remarks in the video that he's read all of them, yeah. Which is why I think when he talks about "the whole season" he means based on the scripts and not just what he's seen.

Will be interesting to see his thoughts if he posts them down the road. He posted his remarks on episode 3 today over on Reddit.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

He remarks in the video that he's read all of them, yeah. Which is why I think when he talks about "the whole season" he means based on the scripts and not just what he's seen.

Will be interesting to see his thoughts if he posts them down the road. He posted his remarks on episode 3 today over on Reddit.

Given he's been pleasantly surprised by some of the changes between the script he read and the final product, if he knows 1-6 from having seen them but 7-8 only from the scripts then his opinion may change after those air.

Well, those were storytelling choices, I guess.

I'm a little curious why Moiraine doesn't pack that Traveling ter'angreal with her? It would be an easy way to give status updates to Siuan.

And I guess every villager from Two Rivers has no problem affording a few nights at very nice inns at Tar Valon?

It was nice to see a cameo of Rand al'Thor in this episode.

Yeah, Rand continued to be sidelined. Though I did like when he pulled the sword and Lan just took him down like a chump.

I assume the Travelling ter'angreal must be in relative proximity to its duplicate, because otherwise yeah, take that with you. Of course, now it wouldn't do her any good. Or the ter'angreal only works in the halls of the Tower, perhaps made to be part of the Tower, but you can move it from room to room.

Did the rest of the AS hear the exact words of her Oath, or just the ones she shouted?

Well goodbye Barney Harris. I guess the rumors right, once again.

The dagger healing was way too easy compared to the books, but I did like the visuals. 

I greatly enjoyed the episode starting with Siuan's background, which I expected because I knew they cast her dad. But it was still nice to see, and the little fisher girl is now Amyrlin. This does contradict Nynaeve's claim about the old Wisdom. If a fisherman's daughter can become Aes Sedai and rise to the highest position, then there is no (institutional) discrimination against women from the lower classes. Maybe the old Wisdom lied to hide her shame she just couldn't cut it.

Siuan in general was very good, and I enjoyed all the Hall scenes. Though the MVP was Leane's staff. :P

Interesting they made the Eye to be the place of the DO's prison, but that could been incorrect information that the Aes Sedai have. Though, considering all the talk about set design and expenses, making the Eye = the place where the Bore can be felt would allow them to bring it back later, mainly whenever the Forsaken have to meet.

And they've set up the Seanchan. Nice.

Anyone wanting to know more about the Ogier, watch the animated short, since the show still hasn't bothered much with that lore.

This is the first time I noticed Liandrin has the back of her hair in many braids, thus showing us her Taraboner heritage. I don't know if she had it like that before.

The Ways look suitably scary. More on that next episode.

45 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I assume the Travelling ter'angreal must be in relative proximity to its duplicate, because otherwise yeah, take that with you. Of course, now it wouldn't do her any good. Or the ter'angreal only works in the halls of the Tower, perhaps made to be part of the Tower, but you can move it from room to room.

Oh, I'm sure it's something along that line. But actually I'm going to speculate that it's possibly World of Dreams where they meet. Although if so are they meeting in the flesh?

Did the rest of the AS hear the exact words of her Oath, or just the ones she shouted?

She was murmuring the intimate bits and then raised her voice for the formal bits. I don't think anyone beside Siuan I'd supposed have heard the quieter bits.. Which is still a little strange, from the perspective of the other Aes Sedai present. Someone is loudly announcing their oath for some parts and then whispering other parts, then loudly announcing the rest? Ok. 

Well goodbye Barney Harris. I guess the rumors right, once again.

It really is too bad. He was awesome in that role, and this change makes Mat into a chump. Everyone else is going to heroically brave the Ways to fight the Dark One, and Mat decides to sit this one out. Even in book one he was never that bad.

The dagger healing was way too easy compared to the books, but I did like the visuals. 

I don't think they are done with the dagger just yet.

Siuan in general was very good, and I enjoyed all the Hall scenes. Though the MVP was Leane's staff. :P

I think all the actors have been good to great. I just wish they had better material to work with.

The Ways look suitably scary. More on that next episode.

Hopefully some explanations too. How are Ogiers supposed to access the Ways if it requires channeling?

Or the Trollocs and Myrdraal, for the matter.

33 minutes ago, IFR said:

Hopefully some explanations too. How are Ogiers supposed to access the Ways if it requires channeling?

Or the Trollocs and Myrdraal, for the matter.

For Trollocs and Mydraal. there's tons of BA channellers even without the Forsaken so that provides literally no issue.  I also found it odd though as you said that Ogiers wouldn't be able to use them but maybe they are literally combining them with portal stones in the show and so they won't be Ogier things at all.

6 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

For Trollocs and Mydraal. there's tons of BA channellers even without the Forsaken so that provides literally no issue. 

True enough. It could also potentially be used for a future plot point as it would clue the characters in to the existence of the Black Ajah.

Good theory I've seen is Liandrin's hidden man at the docks is the male channeller from the episode 1 cold open, who she's either setting up as a false Dragon, or turned to the Dark as a Dreadlord.

Another is Maigin will become the first damane.

After thinking about a bit more, I think the painting ter'angreal is similar to the doorway one use for Accepted and Aes Sedai tests. It requires channeling into it to activate it. I don't think the room where Moiraine went were Siuan's private quarters. I think it's a pocket dimension where the channeler has a control. All of it looked like Siuan's house where she grew up. I don't think Siuan would actually have fishing nets in her real quarters. 

That was a better episode, carried mostly by Siuan and Moiraine. The Mat situation must have been awful for them to deal with, I imagine. I’m guissing the actor wasn’t available for a lot of reshoots or something, so they couldn’t film a better explanation for his absence.

So looks like they’ve made Siuan a Dreamer? How’s this going to intersect with the Wise Ones? The meeting spot with Moiraine was, I thought, the World of Dreams, or a vacuole, which is very similar. Gateways leading to either are a very plausible kind of ter’angreal, and likely not easy to move around.

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Good theory I've seen is Liandrin's hidden man at the docks is the male channeller from the episode 1 cold open, who she's either setting up as a false Dragon, or turned to the Dark as a Dreadlord.

Can't be. I don't see Moiraine keeping that quiet for any reason, because it's proof Liandrin is Black.

I thought the implication was he's her lover, but I think the truth will turn out to be he's a Darkfriend she works with, and the lover thing is a ruse. 

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Another is Maigin will become the first damane.

Yes, this was telegraphed pretty clearly. Interesting they picked a Blue who didn't have much in-book screentime. Given her friendliness to Moiraine, I'd have thought they'd have picked Anaiya. This seems to imply she'll be around in some version of her role.

Well I thought that was great personally, very much in agreement with the reviewers who said it was the best of the 6. I thought Egwene and Perrin were with a Yellow so they wouldn't have been paying for the Inn room, you really don't have to choose the most "plot hole" explanation for every single slightly ambiguous thing.

And yeah the Mat thing sucks, but absent an explanation of why he needed to leave that one looks out of their hands and they've just needed to make the best of it.

In one episode they've sold me on the sacrifice Moiraine and Siuan made more than the books ever did, which isn't a particularly bad shot at the books because this was quite effective. Also made me care about the lesser equivalent with Alanna who I really didn't care for in the books, and this actress has sold me on her.

IFR has identified the weaknesses of the episode but overall I thought it was a pretty strong showing.  The Tower stuff was good but it's really odd how little we see of Rand (granted, I only say that because I know he's the Dragon from these threads, if I did not know that I suppose it wouldn't bother me at all)

Archived