Pat Rothfuss XVII: Games, Bets, and Minecraft

Ser Scot A Ellison

3 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

I haven't really followed this series for years now.

Has Rothfuss just released the only part of the book he's written?

It’s possible, but I think it is unlikely.  He’s just ramping up anticipation for the full book by releasing small parts.  Why do that if he isn’t close to done?  He could have released small parts to goose Worldbuilders donations years ago.  Why start now if he isn’t close to done?

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

I remember GRRM going, "Whatever, here's a new chapter" so casually people would miss it. Though he then decided he'd released so many chapters that it was getting silly, so he stopped doing it.

This palava about releasing what, part of the prologue when we know it's going to consist of a lot of repetition from the previous two prologues is a bit daft.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I remember GRRM going, "Whatever, here's a new chapter" so casually people would miss it. Though he then decided he'd released so many chapters that it was getting silly, so he stopped doing it.

This palava about releasing what, part of the prologue when we know it's going to consist of a lot of repetition from the previous two prologues is a bit daft.

He’s going to be releasing a chaptet of the book as well.  This is the first glimpse we’ve had into this story (going forward not sideways) in more than ten years.

I’m an optimist by nature but this seems like a good sign to me.

:)

On 12/4/2021 at 7:08 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If chef efficiently makes mac and cheese… it’s still just mac and cheese. Rothfuss, Martin, and Lynch are making much better than mac and cheese.

This attitude is basically enabling narcissistic validation seeking. No one is entitled to nothing, that much is clear but those writers are also not entitled of being permanently in the spotlight. I would respect them much more if they wouldn’t constantly seek the public. Unfortunately we as fans fuel their narcissistic cravings. But that’s social media for you. 

On 12/14/2021 at 11:24 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The is a text transcript of the prologue to The Doors of Stone  read by Rothfuss on Twich today:

Hide contents

Prologue
A Silence of Three Parts

IT WAS STILL NIGHT in the middle of Newarre. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.

The most obvious part was a vast, echoing quiet made by things that were lacking. If the horizon had shone the slightest kiss of blue, the town would be stirring. There would be the crackle of kindling, the gentle murmur of water simmering for porridge or tea. The slow, dewey hush of folk walking through the grass would have brushed the silence off the front steps of houses with the indifferent briskness of an old birch broom. If Newarre had been large enough to warrant watchmen, it would have trudged and grumbled the silence away like an unwelcome stranger. If there had been music... but no, of course there was no music. In fact, there were none of these things, and so the silence remained.

In the basement of the Waystone, there was the smell of coal smoke and seared iron. Everywhere was the evidence of hurried work. Tools scattered; bottles left in disarray. A spill of acid hissed quietly to itself, having slopped over the edge of a wide stone bowl. Nearby the bricks of a tiny forge made small, sweet, pinging noises, as they cooled. These tiny forgotten noises added a furtive silence to the larger, echoing one. They bound it together, like tiny stitches of bright, brass, thread. The low drumming counterpoint, a taber, beats behind a song.

The third silence was not an easy thing to notice. If you listened long enough, you might begin to feel it in the chill copper of the Waystone’s locks, turned tight to keep the night at bay. It lurked in the thick, timbers of the door, and nestled deep in the buildings gray foundation stones. 

And it was in the hands of the man who had designed the inn, as he slowly undressed himself behind a bare and narrow bed. The man had true red hair, red as flame. His eyes were dark and weary, and he moved with the slow care of a man who is badly hurt, or tired, or old beyond his years.

The Waystone was his, just as the third silence was his. This was appropriate, as it was the greatest silence of the three, holding the others inside itself. It was deep and wide as autumns ending. It was heavy as a great river-smooth stone. It was the patient cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die.

Whatever may follow, I'm glad that at least we got one more glimpse of Kvothe's story. Thanks for sharing Ser Scott!

20 hours ago, El Kabong said:

I'm a huge cynic. I'd real money that prologue has been sitting on his hard drive for a decade and he's just releasing it now cause people are finally catching on to his bullshit.

I mean seriously, we know he had at least parts of this book written before he published NotW, so what makes anyone think any of this is new material?

14 hours ago, Arakan said:

This attitude is basically enabling narcissistic validation seeking. No one is entitled to nothing, that much is clear but those writers are also not entitled of being permanently in the spotlight. I would respect them much more if they wouldn’t constantly seek the public. Unfortunately we as fans fuel their narcissistic cravings. But that’s social media for you. 

I’d rather wait to read something I really enjoy than waste hours of my life reading things written quickly that are just “okay”.  That’s not everyone’s cup of tea and I’m okay with that.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’d rather wait to read something I really enjoy than waste hours of my life reading things written quickly that are just “okay”.  That’s not everyone’s cup of tea and I’m okay with that.

As long as you aren't keeping up with Rothfuss on twitch and twitter. In that case, you aren't just waiting but following.

Either way, I feel like getting anticipating the completion of the book is a bit too much. Even when it's officially done, you're probably still stuck waiting for at least six months.  No need to start interpreting his actions for signs of life and getting excited over it now. I think you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

It's not the wait. It's that he constantly flat out lies to his fans then treats them like shit when called out on it.

(Also, I mean, him not actually working on it during the wait).

I'd also argue Martini and Lynch don't seem to actively seek the spotlight, Lynch in particular.

4 hours ago, 1066 Larry said:

Would be funny (in a horrible way) if the chapter he reads is just a Kvothe flashback to his escapades with Felurian, or some other exposition for readers who Avent read the other two books.  

Ha! Or it's like a single page.

So wait, the prologue isn't the only thing we are getting? He's also going to release a chapter?

20 hours ago, Myshkin said:

I mean seriously, we know he had at least parts of this book written before he published NotW, so what makes anyone think any of this is new material?

Does it even matter all that much? Despite the long, long stint of douchy behavior from Rothfuss I'm glad he's come to a point where he feels stable enough to release new material, even if it's actually old.

If I were a betting man, I'd still bet against him releasing the book anytime soon, but as I don't have any skin in this game I'm just rather glad with this little nugget of content. Good for him, good for his charity and good for us.