Pat Rothfuss XVII: Games, Bets, and Minecraft

Ser Scot A Ellison

30 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Eh?  In the Wise Man’s Fear?  Was that Kvothe’s date with Deanna at the end of the book?

WMF, after he saved the 2 girls from the band of fake Ruh rapists. One of them says she hates men and Kvothe gives her the not all men treatment.

All I remember from the second book is the sex ninjas and the sex fairy. 

I think I also remember there being some good lore in there too. Stories behind stories of someone stealing the moon maybe?

And maybe the last paragraph of him ninja stepping in his bedroom and that being a sign of progress.

But other than that, it’s all gone. 

12 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

I've always liked the theory that he had the whole thing planned out, but 40+ year old him hates the plan that 18 year old him put together. My guess is that there are major structural elements in book 3 he just doesn't want anymore. I think you can even see this in the earlier books, like

• I suspect that prolonged training scene with sexually liberal female ninjas seemed way cooler to him when he was 18, and,
  • I bet he'd pay large sums of money to erase the ultra cringey 'not all men' scene. 

Meanwhile, R Scott Bakker says “Hold my beer…”

18 hours ago, Rhom said:

Meanwhile, R Scott Bakker says “Hold my beer…”

Hey at least RSB finished it.  

On 6/3/2022 at 12:14 PM, Ninefingers said:

WMF, after he saved the 2 girls from the band of fake Ruh rapists. One of them says she hates men and Kvothe gives her the not all men treatment.

A very Oh John Ringo No moment.  

2 hours ago, Garlan the Gallant said:

True. It ends on a cliffhanger. 

But… it’s the ending he originally devised back in high school.

Which is why I made the joke.

An update of sorts on the sample chapter:

Question

Hey Pat,

That’s awesome! Glad you are enjoying some good gaming time, and have connected with some new friends over at Polygon :D As a girl who has been following you since 2011, I’m thrilled that you’re still living life to the max.

Quickly and politely though, I want to mention that there are many out there, myself included, who would really appreciate an update on the Chapter Reading you promised back in December. It’s been over half a year, good sir…

Looking forward to more short-form blogs, and publishings from Underthing Press, but please make sure you’re a man of your word and keep the promises you already made (and that people paid for,) right?

Cheers!

Response

Kayla, this is so careful and kindly phrased. Thanks so much.

I feel terrible I haven’t gotten that out for everyone. I have an update blog about half-written too, but haven’t had time to finish that yet either. Which (you guessed it) I feel terrible about as well.

This is just to say: I’m sorry. It’s still in the works. I haven’t forgotten. I just did what I always do, which is in trying to make something bigger, better, and cooler, I also made it more complicated and slow.

More details soon (ish)

I love his writting (the prose… the story can be hit or miss)… just love it.  I simply wish there was more of it.  

This is a warning to any hotshot up and coming authors… never shoot off you mouth unless the promised trilogy is already in the can.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I love his writting (the prose… the story can be hit or miss)… just love it.  I simply wish there was more of it.  

This is a warning to any hotshot up and coming authors… never shoot off you mouth unless the promised trilogy is already in the can.

Which is kinda what he said he had ready to go wasn't it?

So what do we think happened.  He thought he had it and turned out he didn't?  Just never had it but thought it would be easy?