Pat Rothfuss XVII: Games, Bets, and Minecraft

Ser Scot A Ellison

22 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I should know better than to get my hopes up when this thread appears…

I've long been in the camp of: "Calm down everyone. Rothfuss is slow, and he's been choosing other life priorities, but the book is coming eventually."

But with these latest antics and the inability to pinch off a sample chapter in 8 months, I have to admit that my confidence in this stance is wavering. 

6 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

I've long been in the camp of: "Calm down everyone. Rothfuss is slow, and he's been choosing other life priorities, but the book is coming eventually."

But with these latest antics and the inability to pinch off a sample chapter in 8 months, I have to admit that my confidence in this stance is DEAD WRONG

FTFY

On 8/4/2022 at 10:10 PM, Ninefingers said:

But with these latest antics and the inability to pinch off a sample chapter in 8 months, I have to admit that my confidence in this stance is wavering. 

Same here. I could live with the idea that the book was underway in some capacity, maybe half-finished and still with some massive knots left to untangle, but overall with some level of (very slow) progress. 

But when he is unable to produce a single chapter in so many months, it looks eerily like definite evidence that the book isn't just "unfinished and troubled", but "totally non-existent for all practical purposes". It's really hard to be optimistic for the book when not even a preview can be shown (despite promises, no less) despite half a year of waiting time.

It should be enough to make even the staunchest fan waver a bit.

4 hours ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

Same here. I could live with the idea that the book was underway in some capacity, maybe half-finished and still with some massive knots left to untangle, but overall with some level of (very slow) progress. 

But when he is unable to produce a single chapter in so many months, it looks eerily like definite evidence that the book isn't just "unfinished and troubled", but "totally non-existent for all practical purposes". It's really hard to be optimistic for the book when not even a preview can be shown (despite promises, no less) despite half a year of waiting time.

It should be enough to make even the staunchest fan waver a bit.

I do think we'll get the sample chapter in the next couple of months. 

He can't kick off his annual fundraiser in November with this donation killing stretch goal broken promise hanging over it? Can he?!? 

45 minutes ago, Ninefingers said:

He can't kick off his annual fundraiser in November with this donation killing stretch goal broken promise hanging over it? Can he?!? 

That will be the test won’t it…

3 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

Can he?

Absolutely???

6 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

Donate to new goal to find out!

14 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Rothfuss will look like a royal shit if he starts his November fund raiser without posting the “sample chapter” from the prior fund raiser.

But does he care?

10 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Did any of you donate for the chapter? I sure didn't. What makes you think his cult fans won't make excuses for him while still continuing to donate? 

And it wouldn't be a surprise if he has already missed other stretch goal promises prior to this.

I didn't either. Many years and broken promises ago I donated to his fundraiser. Currently, I allocate my charity dollars to other places that are more efficiently run, and headed by people who treat their donors better(mostly local things in my community). 

Re: other stretch goals, yeah, he's missed several over the years. But they've always been much more minor stuff like "I'm going to redesign my website" or other things people don't really care about. The only ones that have really gotten people up in arms are this one and the "Book 3 Q&A" which technically he did, but he refused to answer any questions about Book 3 during. 

51 minutes ago, baxus said:

What about Rothfuss gives you the impression he would be embarrassed by that or anything else?

He seems very proud of “World Builders”.  If this cuts into its ability to raise money… he could actually be embarrassed.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:35 AM, Ninefingers said:

I take back what I said. 

Found this on Reddit:

Here's the full list of stretch goal rewards:

https://fundraise.worldbuilders.org/fundraiser/3614242

Not delivered:

• Pat writes a Temerant short story live on twitch

• Pat assembles the Geek Avengers to read Chapter of DoS

• Pat Announces the people who have agreed to read the Chapter of DoS

• Kingkiller Cuisine Stream with Tricia Birdy

• Book 3 Q&A Part 2 Live on Twitch Stream

• Twitch Chat picks a cosplay for Pat

• Pat Gets on TikTok

• (Chapter Reading)

•  

It's moderately clear he's making no honest effort to deliver on stretch goals/promises.