Pat Rothfuss XVII: Games, Bets, and Minecraft

Ser Scot A Ellison

49 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

The Rothfuss fandom is split into 3 groups:

Those who care no matter what and would let Rothfuss get away with murder.

Those who don't really care, but will still buy book 3 as soon as it comes out.

Those who are fed up and never miss an opportunity to call him out on his bs.

#team2

I don't care about the series because I haven't read it but this saga with Rothfuss is fun to watch. If he really wants to dig himself deeper he should start his next fundraiser with the promise of a second sample chapter to release with aforementioned first one "sometime soon" and then berate his fans for thinking "soon" has a clear definition.  

But seriously, I'm not a psychologist but my own amateur impression of him isn't that he doesn't care or would willingly nuke his reputation, but that he cares a little too much. It is why he gets so defensive and sabotages himself, he wants to be loved and respected and can't help himself. 

The guy isn't bad or evil, he's just a bit of loser and screw up, just one who incidentally has a large fanbase. 

6 hours ago, butterweedstrover said:

The guy isn't bad or evil, he's just a bit of loser and screw up, just one who incidentally has a large fanbase. 

I wish I could trade places with him, I could use the cash, and Im already a loser and a screw up.  :)

Joking aside, people get too hung up about the legacy or whatnot. Just write the book, the details / endless tinkering will not change the core/jist/essential message of the book.

What seems funny about the Rothfuss situation is that it doesn't seem likely that he has the idea about the essential message of the book, unlike GRRM who presumably has the idea, but is too worried about all the little frilly details that he wants to come out just so. That's why I relish every news about Rothfuss getting into hot water, but want to encourage GRRM to just relax and send what he has to editing.

(Then again, this could all be just GRRM having more experience and the ability to make people sympathise with him)

15 hours ago, Jerry Drake said:

I wish I could trade places with him, I could use the cash, and Im already a loser and a screw up.  :)

Joking aside, people get too hung up about the legacy or whatnot. Just write the book, the details / endless tinkering will not change the core/jist/essential message of the book.

What seems funny about the Rothfuss situation is that it doesn't seem likely that he has the idea about the essential message of the book, unlike GRRM who presumably has the idea, but is too worried about all the little frilly details that he wants to come out just so. That's why I relish every news about Rothfuss getting into hot water, but want to encourage GRRM to just relax and send what he has to editing.

(Then again, this could all be just GRRM having more experience and the ability to make people sympathise with him)

Also GRRM never pretended to have finished the whole series when AGOT came out, and that the remaining books would be released a year apart.

In private conversations, I certainly lean towards group 3. I don't really understand leaning into group 3 publicly, however. It seems a rather pointless emoting with potential adverse effects on the author who clearly has some struggles.

Do I like delays? Obviously not. Do I understand the struggles? Eh, not entirely. Do I think his attitude is justified or appropriate? Not at all. Does my opinion really matter? Nope.

If true, I'm surprised Rothfuss hasn't announced it himself. If I was battling such a huge fight with procrastination, I would take the opportunity to crow my "success" at finishing the book.

At this point, I'd have to re-read both books. I'll rely on more motivated readers here and elsewhere to tell me if book three is worth the time reading the whole thing again.

I own copies of Rothfuss's books but have never read them yet, partly because I haven't felt motivated to start another series that seems like it will never be finished. So I'm no expert -- but I wonder if perhaps he has actually turned in some chapters for editing but really isn't finished with the whole book yet? That might explain why he hasn't announced anything himself.

5 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I own copies of Rothfuss's books but have never read them yet, partly because I haven't felt motivated to start another series that seems like it will never be finished. So I'm no expert -- but I wonder if perhaps he has actually turned in some chapters for editing but really isn't finished with the whole book yet? That might explain why he hasn't announced anything himself.

We’ll see. Lynch handed in a draft for Thorn of Emberlain some years ago, but it must have needed work.

41 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

If true, I'm surprised Rothfuss hasn't announced it himself.

My guess is that she's correct about a draft being at the editor, but is speculating about the a release date existing based on her process, ala

...I know when I send my manuscript to the editor, they put a release date hold for 15 months (or whatever) in the future

So she's assuming the same is true for everyone. Seems HIGHLY unlikely to me that there's an actual, real, firm date in existence.

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

We’ll see. Lynch handed in a draft for Thorn of Emberlain some years ago, but it must have needed work.

Thing that gets me about that quora answer is that it not only states how the book is at the editor but that it has a release date.

It's a pretty remarkable grain of salt. I guess we'll see.

The fact that neither Rothfuss or Betsy made any announcements about this makes me doubt Lackey's claim.

Like that Lynch manuscript of a few years back, it could be that either or both are waiting to see the editorial notes and whether or not Rothfuss needs to get back to the drawing board.

If the book is anywhere near "done," you can be sure that we'll hear about it.