Pat Rothfuss XVII: Games, Bets, and Minecraft

Ser Scot A Ellison

The sheer sales impact of a new Rothfuss novel, even if it only sold half as much as the last two, would mean it wouldn't be waiting 15 months for release. It'd be a big hit for DAW and a good way of showing their new owners the sort of money they can bring in, so they'd move heaven and Earth to get it out in at least 6 months or so.

It's far more likely that Mercedes Lackey misinterpreted the situation. We know that DAW hadn't seen a single page from The Doors of Stone as of two years ago, so it might be they got a partial MS or even a small chunk of the book for the first time and that got them excited.

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, IFR said:

:lol:

I haven't commented here yet, but I laugh each time I see this thread get resurrected. I actually really like Rothfuss' writings, but at this point I think I've overall gained more enjoyment from his obstreperously adversarial relationship with his fans than anything else.

Considering that the "anything else" category mostly boils down to two and a half books published many years ago, it's not hard to see why.

While not as entertaining as the Tairy threads of yore, I also am quite content that Rothfuss continues to show nothing more than an open-faced con for more than a decade. I don't watch reality TV stuff, but I am relatively sure I'm getting the same dopamine rush keeping up with this entertaining online author and fandom Maury Povich show than the real thing.

On 10/15/2022 at 1:35 PM, Rhom said:

And they’ll donate next time he asks too

Can't wait to see the stretch goal post in a few months: Donations reach $XX,000 and I'll REALLY release it this time. Honest. As soon as I finish this streaming this speed run of World of Warcraft, leveling every class and completing all quests. Including the Leeroy Jenkins Run!

5 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

Rothfuss is only 49 years old. I think the smart money is on him publishing book 3 eventually. 

Even if he does.... does that qualify as completing the series when he at one point said this trilogy was just a prequel to the bigger story he was going to tell?

On 10/19/2022 at 1:43 PM, Rhom said:

Even if he does.... does that qualify as completing the series when he at one point said this trilogy was just a prequel to the bigger story he was going to tell?

I think the oft quoted 'I tricked you into reading a million word prologue' was said tongue in cheek. Back when he used to talk to people, he often said things like: "A good story needs and ending" and "Three books" and "This trilogy will tell Kvothe's story".  He's always had plans to continue to write in this world, but my belief (and maybe I'm wishcasting) is that book 3 will be a conclusion to a story. 

I always figured he’d have to do a lot of work with older Kvothe in the framing sections to wrap up the story. Unless it’s supposed to have an open ending just with Kvothe reinvigorated setting off to save the world.

I got the impression that his plan was to finish Kvothe's story up till the point he left the University and build on Temerant(?) covering other periods and places and not necessarily with Kvothe as the protagonist.

The minimum hurdle he needs to clear now is have Kvothe save a princess and kill a king? I don't expect him to clear up the mythology portion of the story. It'd be nice if he manages to do so, but it's a big hole he needs to fill and he'll be using material he could use for other books.

12 hours ago, john said:

I always figured he’d have to do a lot of work with older Kvothe in the framing sections to wrap up the story. Unless it’s supposed to have an open ending just with Kvothe reinvigorated setting off to save the world.

I think Kvothe is the “antagonist” in the perspective most of the world at large.  I think Rothfuss is hesitant to pull the trigger on that reveal.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison