Pat Rothfuss XVII: Games, Bets, and Minecraft

Ser Scot A Ellison

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Wait... are we really do this again?  We really believe this is happening?  Seriously?

Have we learned nothing?

I will believe nothing until it actually goes to print. Even an announced publication date from both him and his publisher wouldn't be enough for me. 

4 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

I will believe nothing until it actually goes to print. Even an announced publication date from both him and his publisher wouldn't be enough for me. 

That is perfectly reasonable from the perspective of purchasing the book in advance or re-reading the first two novels in anticipation or even just declaring yourself convinced that a third book will be published. 

But in the absence of any kind of news, we will inevitably be discussing that absence and scanning the tea-leaves no? I joined this blog in 2006 (I think), and in the last 16 years there has been exactly 1 ASOIAF novel.  But we've found other stuff to talk about...

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I see his first books brought up so often as good reads, but have never read them. 

I’d rather not join ya’ll in the torture. 

Wise.

And they ARE good. And there's admittedly something to be said for spending time wondering and imagining and rereading to try and sort out mysteries. But I wouldn't read them for the first time until that book is out, had I the choice today.

Personally, I'll begin rereads and pre-order the moment it's officially announced. I still find his non-delivery of the charity goal to be the most surprising thing (and a poor reflection on him). I hope he's okay and I try to never get my hopes up when I see this thread ... but, yes, a small part of me does get its hopes up every time I do see the thread.

16 hours ago, Rhom said:

Wait... are we really do this again?  We really believe this is happening?  Seriously?

Have we learned nothing?

No. Nothing whatsoever :P

5c5ad7259e42b911d3055365.jpg (1000×669) (ghostwhalelondon.com)

Edited by Veltigar

'The book's coming coz some people logged on' has scraped the bottom of the barrel, scraped through the bottom of the barrel, scraped through the earth beneath the bottom of the barrel, scraped through the Earth the earth is in, and has continued scraping its way a good portion of the distance to Alpha Centauri. 

As an aside, unrelated to Rothfuss himself, but as we know we've had quite a few books since inspired in one way or another by Rothfuss. The 'I am telling you my story from the future' form has become popular since then. 

However nothing has been so frankly brazen as a book I happened across yesterday when I was scanning back through some recommended reads from 2022. I can't do a screenshot because, well, we don't do that here, but check out the free preview of RR Virdi's The First Binding on Kobo and read the first few lines of the first chapter.

For all I know it's a perfectly fine book past that, and the premise sounds intriguing, but he's biting a man's flow there. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

As an aside, unrelated to Rothfuss himself, but as we know we've had quite a few books since inspired in one way or another by Rothfuss. The 'I am telling you my story from the future' form has become popular since then. 

However nothing has been so frankly brazen as a book I happened across yesterday when I was scanning back through some recommended reads from 2022. I can't do a screenshot because, well, we don't do that here, but check out the free preview of RR Virdi's The First Binding on Kobo and read the first few lines of the first chapter.

For all I know it's a perfectly fine book past that, and the premise sounds intriguing, but he's biting a man's flow there. 

Dude... If I'm Rothfuss, I'm calling my lawyer.  (Right after I get done streaming this awesome video game or whatever...)

27 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Dude... If I'm Rothfuss, I'm calling my lawyer.  (Right after I get done streaming this awesome video game or whatever...)

Dude... If I'm Rothfuss I'm calling that guy and ask him to ghostwrite A Door of Stone for me :P

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Haha yeah someone sent me the blurb of this and I was stunned by the brazenness, surely this is just straight up plagiarism? Or is this Rothfuss trying to secretly reboot his series? :laugh:

I have the book on my phone. Started reading in January just to see what the fuss was about. I only managed to read 15% before i stopped. 

The main character is basically Kvothe on steroids in all aspects. The romance part is ..... Well,  read it for yourself :P

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

10 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Lol, this reads like Kingkiller was translated to another language by someone who was only loosely fluent in that language and then Google translate was used to bring that back into English in a translation "telephone game" case study.

Even the world name is like a "nailed it" version of Temerant. I bet the main character "Ari" has a good friend name "Keyvote" who lives in the sewers.

Edited by Ser Not Appearing

19 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Let's not give Rothfuss too much credit. His head is big enough as it is.

Your example's heavy influence aside, frame stories have been around forever. Frankenstein comes immediately to mind, or most books written in 1st person. It's pretty common in movies too.

/record scratch

"It wasn't always like this."