Pat Rothfuss XVII: Games, Bets, and Minecraft

Ser Scot A Ellison

At this point I wish Rothfuss would fully embrace the antagonism with his fandom. He should do something like announce on March 31 that the third book is finished, it just needs some small bits of editing and it will be ready for submission to his publishers. Then go radio silence for a few months, and when it's later brought up in an interview he can say it was an April fools joke. When it's pointed out that he made the announcement in March, he can shrug and say "Oops, my mistake. Well, the fans should have known better." And continue without apology.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Has Rothfuss gone fully into hiding?  His last blog post is June 2022.  His twitch stream seems inactive…

I think it's a combination of personal life problems reaching new and dizzying heights combined with embarrassment over the missing chapter/AWOL charity drive.  

• 4 weeks later...

OK, here's the announcement: https://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2023/05/new-novella-an-announcement-in-three-parts/

He's now talking about getting back into writing things (paraphrase).  Coming out 14 Nov 2023.  Narrow Road Between Desires.  He doesn't love it as much as Slow Regard, but he is *as* proud of it as Slow Regard.  

He's now deconstructing what "canon" is anyway.  

Dude has serious ADHD (I sympathize on this). 

He's literally responding in live-time to comments and observations from his Twitch fans as part of his meander from whatever he's trying to say.  We are currently talking about *unhealthy body images in fairies*.  This is a PSA, from me to you, btw.  I expect some sugar.  

4 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

When’s he releasing the last third of that novel he wrote almost 15-20 years ago that he said would be out circa 2009?

Umm, I wouldn't expect answers to that question on this Twitch stream, although people are asking. What can I say, it's my first Twitch stream.  

We are talking about sexy badgers now.  

Edited by Gaston de Foix