Pat Rothfuss XVII: Games, Bets, and Minecraft

Ser Scot A Ellison

2 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

One of the biggest Rothfuss knee-slappers of all time came in a recent blog where he's describing himself(emphasis mine):

I rarely actually laugh out loud when reading on the internet, but this one got me. I struggle to imagine having the chutzpah to describe myself as always keeping my word when I'm famous for one of the largest authorial broken promises in memory. 

“Uncomfortably honest” when you claim to have finished a trilogy that in fact isn’t finished, and still isn’t finished 15 years later

21 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

One of the biggest Rothfuss knee-slappers of all time came in a recent blog where he's describing himself(emphasis mine):

What is the context of this quote? I’m struggling to envision a reason why anyone would ever write something like that about themself.

Everytime I see a new post in this thread, I think that Rothfuss must have announced he's going to livestream himself typing up the manuscript of DOS.

Maybe a wide angle lens, over-the-shoulder view of his computer screen so we can see him drinking coffee with one hand while he continues to type with the other.  Or maybe a split screen with his computer screen on one and him on the other.   

And he does it all in a 200-hr sleepless marathon session.  

Yeah, I am at the point where I just assume there was some Internet dramas with Rothfuss, with no book news, when I see someone post here.

I don’t remember if I saw it mentioned here, but when I snarked about “A signed box of Kraft dinner” for PR’s mac n cheese recipe, I wasn’t kidding:  

https://www.powells.com/book/rick-morty-vs-dungeons-dragons-9781684054169#product_details

I checked it out from the library and it was…not especially worth it.

Edited by VigoTheCarpathian
Spelling

11 hours ago, Myshkin said:

What is the context of this quote? I’m struggling to envision a reason why anyone would ever write something like that about themself.

It was connected to the wager he made with the fandom about them giving a certain amount of money to his charity and him releasing a couple parts of book 3. (Prologue, and a sample chapter)

• 4 months later...
On 12/28/2021 at 9:07 AM, Lord Patrek said:

Can you guys stop posting shit?

Every time the thread goes up I think the new chapter has been released! :P

Update: The February target date for release has come and gone, and there's "no news". Maybe next year's worldbuilders will have a "and I'll actually release the chapter this time" stretch goal. 

:D

I do find it quite shocking though. If he's not even able to release the rough draft of a chapter after having promised to do so, that sounds like he literally has nothing. It does make me wonder why people keep donating to his charity when there are other outfits that stand at least equally deserving.

6 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I do find it quite shocking though. If he's not even able to release the rough draft of a chapter after having promised to do so, that sounds like he literally has nothing.

This baffles me too.

I mean, he must be aware of the implications here. After ten years without news, the credibility of the series, as it were, is worn rather thin. Promising to release a chapter - one draft of one chapter out of the whole book - and then not releasing it will NOT look good, no matter what the reason for it may be. If he really has something worth showing (even in draft form, fans would forgive that), not releasing it only serves to fuel the fears that the book will never come. If he really has nothing, why would he make the promise in the first place? That's a very high-stakes card to play, as it puts his remaining reputation on the line. Was it done on the assumption that he would have time to squeeze out something in due time, and then he still kept failing? Or is he holding back for any reasonable reason at all? I can't come up with any.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:54 PM, Kyll.Ing. said:

This baffles me too.

I mean, he must be aware of the implications here. After ten years without news, the credibility of the series, as it were, is worn rather thin. Promising to release a chapter - one draft of one chapter out of the whole book - and then not releasing it will NOT look good, no matter what the reason for it may be. If he really has something worth showing (even in draft form, fans would forgive that), not releasing it only serves to fuel the fears that the book will never come. If he really has nothing, why would he make the promise in the first place? That's a very high-stakes card to play, as it puts his remaining reputation on the line. Was it done on the assumption that he would have time to squeeze out something in due time, and then he still kept failing? Or is he holding back for any reasonable reason at all? I can't come up with any.

My money is on the bolded. Strange, I always thought he had at least some stuff done, but that his crippling anxiety and a fraught relationship with his editors had ensured that he wasn't making any more progress. He was already a fraud, but this is just completely doubling down on it. 

On 5/7/2022 at 12:11 PM, Proudfeet said:

Because he was getting mocked on twitch and that was his way of putting on a strong front. 

Reactning to mockery by proving them right? Well, that's an approach you don't see often.

3 minutes ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

Reactning to mockery by proving them right? Well, that's an approach you don't see often.

I assume he didn't think that far ahead and just wanted to remind them of why they're watching his stream in the first place, plus he'd get out of it he just managed to kill the dragon or something.

At least with GRRM I have confidence that he is working on Winter. At least with Lynch I have confidence that he is working through his depression and anxiety with the idea of writing once more. With Rothfuss, I have confidence that he is a jerk. 

46 minutes ago, Jerol said:

At least with GRRM I have confidence that he is working on Winter.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate it if you'd elaborate what you base that confidence on.

I mean, it's been 11 years since Dance with Dragons, not only do we not have a release date but we haven't had any updates in a while. Maybe I missed something  though, because I've kind of given up on getting Winds of Winter any time soon.

Edited by baxus