Could Valyrian Steel Armour stop a Valyrian Steel blade?

Canon Claude

Yes. Mail armor is impervious to slashing attacks (you need to stab or shoot at the gaps. Or hit them with a flanged mace). 

Plate armor is already a tough nut to crack (you need to aim for the gaps). Disregard the Hollywood BS, with ramming a sword or spear through a breastplate. Plus, like mail, slashing is ineffective. 

1 hour ago, James Steller said:

Never mind Valyrian steel blades, what about arrows? Longbows were able to launch arrows that could pierce plate metal. I wonder if Valyrian steel armour would fare any better.

If they aimed for the gaps, yes, probably. I would also dispute your saying of "longbows were able to launch arrows that could pierce plate armor", but I'm simply not in the mood for an argument. 

I suppose a Valyrian steel sword would be about as effective against Valyrian steel armor as a plain steel sword is against plain steel armor. However, to make the equation balance, you might need a swordsman of superhuman strength, who can wield the sword with proportionally higher force.

Yes.

And yes, it would make someone like Euron even more dangerous. With a mace or an axe in hand, he would become a human tank. It's the only Valyrian steel suit of armor that we have seen in the series but there are a lot more (by comparison) Valyrian steel blades. That's not nothing.

But maybe Dawn (which not made out of Valyrian steel) or the real Lightbringer (which is basically a lightsaber) are the only swords that could pierce that kind of armor.

13 hours ago, James Steller said:

Never mind Valyrian steel blades, what about arrows? Longbows were able to launch arrows that could pierce plate metal. I wonder if Valyrian steel armour would fare any better.

I think you would need Valyrian steel arrowheads.

Without them, the longbow arrows would have an effect similar to bullets on a bulletproof vest. The concussive force of the impact will hurt and knock someone down but they will be otherwise unharmed. The armor might not even be that damaged.

1 minute ago, BlackLightning said:

I think you would need Valyrian steel arrowheads.

Without them, the longbow arrows would have an effect similar to bullets on a bulletproof vest. The concussive force of the impact will hurt and knock someone down but they will be otherwise unharmed. The armor might not even be that damaged.

How about weirwood arrows? Those seem to also be powerful weapons too, somehow.

4 minutes ago, James Steller said:

How about weirwood arrows? Those seem to also be powerful weapons too, somehow.

Oh yeah that's right.

Weirwood arrows would be magical. I'm not sure how ethical or safe it would be to anger the CoTF or the old gods by cutting up weirwoods and using them for weapons but...it could work.

Fire vs. ice

I don't see dragonglass doing the trick though.

Hrm.  Interesting question.  All I recall off the top of my head about the VS swords we have in play is that they keep their razor sharp edge, have a sort of sentience and can withstand normal fire.  What qualities would armor have?  If a blade can maintain and edge I would imagine a suit would maintain it's shape or at least integrity and it would likely react to normal fire in the same way.  But sentience in a suit of armor?   Can't imagine how that would work, but I cannot wait to see it!  

On 12/4/2021 at 9:31 AM, BlackLightning said:

It's the only Valyrian steel suit of armor that we have seen in the series but there are a lot more (by comparison) Valyrian steel blades. That's not nothing.

Yeah, I think one thing we need to consider is not only (scientific) durability but also (narrative) rarity. There's way fewer sets of Valyrian armor (a.k.a. one) in the series than there are blades -- which does make it feel like it's a much bigger deal than the weapons.

Plus, does Valyrian steel fare that much better than ordinary steel against armor? I always sort of read it as an equivalent to meteoric iron during the Bronze Age, when iron-smelting was a difficulty and iron found in stars was therefore more valuable (think King Tut's knife). Obviously magicked up a bit for the story, but -- it can't cut through ordinary steel that easily, can it? If I'm wrong somebody please correct me.

Archived