Ned Stark was actually a good father?

Sé que amaba (a su manera) y se preocupaba por todos los chicos, incluso por Theon, de alguna manera.

Pero viendo cómo Robb falló como Rey en seguir sus pasos.

Como no fue contundente con Sansa al explicar lo peligroso que era realmente Desembarco del Rey.

Y especialmente cómo permitió que Jon fuera a la pared sin decirle cuál era realmente ese lugar.

Me hacen dudar ... ¿Qué opinas?

¿Se supone que debemos hablar en español?

I don't think we are allowed to.

I do think the Stark kids were very sheltered dreamers and idealists who were very unprepared for the real world. Beautiful souls

Robb, Sansa and Bran all act like each other as do Arya and RIckon. Jon acts like both Arya/Rickon and Robb/Sansa/Bran

I think Ned's trauma from the War of the Five Kings was what made him decide to let them be innocent and grow up in a controlled, peaceful environment. He wasn't overprotective or controlling or fearful; he was just set on slowly spoon-feeding them doses of reality. And Ned is stubborn so when he should've adapted and took a harder, faster stance, he didn't.

But I honestly think that Ned and Cat are some of the best parents that can be found in all of (fantasy) literature. I know that's not saying much because literature is notoriously known for featuring either parents that are powerless (and/or don't care), really bad parents or really absent parents so that a story -- particularly a fantasy story revolving around children -- can develop but...yeah. Ned and Cat are amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ned was a good father. He loved his children, tried to install good morals but was by no means perfect. 

His and Catelyn's greatest fault was sheltering their children to the point that they were ignorant of the real world ie. Sansa believing the songs about handsome princes being the heroes, Jon believing that the Night's Watch was still full of honorable men rather than a glorified penal colony, Bran wanting to be a Kingsguard like in the stories, and Robb not fully understanding politics. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 11:19 PM, Lucia Targaryen said:

Ned was a good father. He loved his children , tried to install good morals but was by no means perfect. 

His and Catelyn's greatest fault was sheltering their children to the point that they were ignorant of the real world ie. Sansa believing the songs about handsome princes being the heroes, Jon believing that the Night's Watch was still full of honorable men rather than a glorified penal colony, Bran wanting to be a Kingsguard like in the stories, and Robb not fully understanding politics. 

This.

An overprotective parent may look as a loving father on the outside (and don't get me wrong, they are loving parents deep down and on the surface), but that too produces damage on the children. The other side of the coin would Randyll Tarly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 11:02 PM, Jon Fossoway said:

This.

An overprotective parent may look as a loving father on the outside (and don't get me wrong, they are loving parents deep down and on the surface), but that too produces damage on the children. The other side of the coin would Randyll Tarly.

Indeed, it becomes even more of a shame when it looks like that people like the Tyrells and Oberyn Martell were able to raise their children in a loving environment while still preparing them for the real world.

On 12/4/2021 at 5:49 PM, BlackLightning said:

I think Ned's trauma from the War of the Five Kings was what made him decide to let them be innocent and grow up in a controlled, peaceful environment. He wasn't overprotective or controlling or fearful; he was just set on slowly spoon-feeding them doses of reality. And Ned is stubborn so when he should've adapted and took a harder, faster stance, he didn't.

This. Ned isn't perfect nobody is. He is, however, a great father whose mistakes come from a place of love. 

On 1/9/2022 at 3:19 AM, Lucia Targaryen said:

There's nothing wrong with not fully understanding politics at fourteen, idealizing romantic myths at eleven, or wanting to be a superhero at seven. It happens with most kids today, and no one thinks they have been over sheltered because of that.

It seems to me that it's not fair to judge the education of the Stark kids without taking into account how young they were, and the fact that they were unexpectedly thrown into very complicated situations without warning.

22 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

There's nothing wrong with not fully understanding politics at fourteen, idealizing romantic myths at eleven, or wanting to be a superhero at seven. It happens with most kids today, and no one thinks they have been over sheltered because of that.

It seems to me that it's not fair to judge the education of the Stark kids without taking into account how young they were, and the fact that they were unexpectedly thrown into very complicated situations without warning.

Fair enough, but this is a world where kids are thrown into  heavy responsibilities early on in their lives. Eddard was a prominent figure in a rebellion against the crown at 19 yrs old, same as Bob. By 'sheltering' I understand that Eddard, unlike Rickard Stark, had no intentions of repeating the southern amibitioning which brought so many deaths to the realm, so he did favoured an education based on keeping it safe and secure up north.

On 2/5/2022 at 3:45 PM, Lady_Qohor said:

Indeed, it becomes even more of a shame when it looks like that people like the Tyrells and Oberyn Martell were able to raise their children in a loving environment while still preparing them for the real world.

You lost me at Oberyn Martell

The youngest ones seem to be doing fine. But the elder three?! Ha!

And then there's Elia Sand aka Lady Lance. Another ticking time bomb.

On 2/6/2022 at 12:41 PM, The hairy bear said:

There's a difference between liking songs and stories and actually thinking that you're living one. Sansa especially in AGOT wanted desperately to believe that the stories were real and ignored many of Joffrey's warning signs. 

Archived