Jewelry

Lionheart47

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In The Sworn Sword, Egg keeps a signet ring in the toe of his boot. This is his hidden proof that he is a Targaryen. Dunk shows the ring to Rohanne Webber. In ASOIAF, Tyrion keeps poisonous mushrooms in the toe of his boot. I've always been intrigued and puzzled by the boot parallel between Tyrion's mushrooms and Egg's ring. 

A lot of Cersei's jewelry is specified.  If you go to the A Search of Ice and Fire website and search on terms such as "diamonds" or "emeralds," you will find references to various jewels.

The most memorable jewels that come immediately to mind are the alternating sapphires and emeralds worn by Shiera Seastar. She has one green eye and one blue eye, so I assume the necklace somehow alludes to her eyes. 

Salladhor Saan has jade buttons carved in the shape of monkeys. I don't know whether that fits with your interest in men wearing jewels. 

You might also want to look at jeweled sword hilts and scabbards.

• 3 weeks later...

In the Prologue of AGOT, Ser Waymar Royce’s Long Sword that shattered had jewels (more than one) that glittered in its hilt. Later, in ADWD Jon XII, a member of the free folk seems to have found a broken sword hilt.  Long ago, someone noticed this and understandably assumed it once belonged to Ser Waymar Royce. The broken sword hilt had three sapphires.

A long swords, so-called for its long hilt, is traditionally fashioned in the shape of a crucifix. This allows the user to use one or both hands on the sword in battle. The arrangement of three sapphires on the hilt, most likely, is evenly spaced on the cross guard. Google “Narsil” the broken sword from LOTR and look at the images. A sword like that “trembling on high” against a clear night winter sky is a clever way for Martin to draw our attention to Orion’s Belt in my opinion. “As above, so below”, says the old maxim. The three, easily identifiable, evenly spaced stars of Orion’s Belt match up precisely with the number of blue eyes in the chapter. The same blue eyes with a description that sounds like stars, “…its eyes; blue, deeper and bluer than any human eyes, a blue that burned like ice.” and “The pupil burned blue.”

Other notes - Rubies and sapphires both come from the same mineral, corundum, and are nearly identical.

- Ice, is a nickname for diamonds.

- Ghost, has eyes the color of Gared’s blood.

• 1 month later...

The first piece of jewelry I always think about is

The one-armed smith had left few personal effects: the cup, six pennies and a copper star, a niello brooch with a broken clasp, a musty brocade doublet that bore the stag of Storm's End. His treasures were his tools, and the swords and knives he made. His life was at the forge. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Aa character named Maynard Plumm wears a most curious brooch made of moonstone.  There are jewels in the pommels of many of the named Valyrian steel swords.  While most have interesting rubies and one has two small garnets there is a sword with a moonstone in the pommel.  Very different, making the sword Nightfall even more curious than it already is.  

Archived