Is Beric Dondarrion a reflection of Beowulf?

SpaceChampion

Responded to someone on Reddit regarding Beric and it occurs to me that his mission to bring Gregor to justice in terms of stories reminds me of Beowulf and Grendel.

Grendel is a giant, Beowulf was a hero sent to kill him. Then Grendel's giant mom takes revenge on Beowulf's people. Beowulf kills the mom, but he felt some compassion for her grief and rage. Later in life, Beowulf is sent to kill a dragon, but the dragon kills him.

In ASOIAF, instead we have Gregor the giant, and instead of the giant's mom we have the Dragon's aunt, Lady Stoneheart (because Jon is her nephew), and Beric gives her life instead of death. So if fan theories are true that Stoneheart brings Jon back from the dead, and dies herself, it's sort of a reversal of that, and Beric's heroism is more significant than Beowulf's, by bringing life.

Not an elaborate theory, but the names are B vs G for both stories so I figured maybe GRRM was thinking about that a bit.

In addition, Beowulf is serving (when he hunts Grendel) a lord who was not his own. Beowulf is a Geat (cultural group from the Scandanavian peninsula) but he is fighting to defend Hrothgar in Denmark when he kills the monster which has been routinely slaughtering Hrothgar's people. Beric, likewise, is serving a northern lord's interests (Ned) in protecting the smallfolk of the Riverlands who are being raided and killed by Gregor.

This might all be a coincidence -- but at very least I think we can say that Gregor is a bit of an ogre, and Beric is a knightly hero. These are stock characters which Beowulf certainly engages, at the very least.

Archived