How would a legitimate Targaryen cadet branch have affected the outcome and aftermath of Robert’s Rebellion?

The Merling King

What if there was a legitimate male-line Targaryen cadet branch that still existed at the beginning of Robert’s rebellions? For example if king Aegon V has a fourth son, who is given Summerhall or a Lordship confiscated during one of the Blackfyre rebellions and his son or grandson denounces king Aerys II at the start of the rebellion?

Depends. If the Starks had ever been overthrown by its own vassals, I doubt the lords would've chosen the Karstarks in the stead of them only because they are Starks of some sort. 

But this theoretical connection would've been a much closer one. After all, that, the power such people would've wielded and the side they would've chosen at the rebellion would've all mattered. 

Depends what rebel sentiment was at the time.

One imagines that he would encounter Robert and maybe even join his rebellion if Robert agrees to swear him homage.

Whether Robert and the other rebel lords would agree it’s hard to tell. But it isn’t out of the realm of possibility since the rebels didn’t have a discussion about who should be king till after the battle of the bells. More than enough time for a cousin of aerys to make his bid.

1 hour ago, The Young Maester said:

One imagines that he would encounter Robert and maybe even join his rebellion if Robert agrees to swear him homage.

Whether Robert and the other rebel lords would agree it’s hard to tell. But it isn’t out of the realm of possibility since the rebels didn’t have a discussion about who should be king till after the battle of the bells. More than enough time for a cousin of aerys to make his bid.

How ironic. The Blackfyres could have had their day if Daemon and his descendants had kept their heads down for a century.

2 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

How ironic. The Blackfyres could have had their day if Daemon and his descendants had kept their heads down for a century.

If Daemon Blackfyre and his descendants stayed in line, I could see them becoming similar to the Beauforts, a legitimized bastard branch of the royal family.

2 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Tbh I reckon they might take the throne when the great council was called to name a king after maekars death. Some lords wouldve seen better sense at choosing the blackfyres (arguably a stronger claim than viserys's whole line), since Aegon was seen as more peasant than lordling. 

11 minutes ago, The Young Maester said:

Tbh I reckon they might take the throne when the great council was called to name a king after maekars death. Some lords wouldve seen better sense at choosing the blackfyres (arguably a stronger claim than viserys's whole line), since Aegon was seen as more peasant than lordling. 

Touché. Daemon himself might have sat on the Iron Throne, albeit in his middle age. Or maybe his twin heirs would have squabbled for the chance.

37 minutes ago, The Merling King said:

If Daemon Blackfyre and his descendants stayed in line, I could see them becoming similar to the Beauforts, a legitimized bastard branch of the royal family.

Indeed through John of Gaunt if I remember correctly, and Lady Margaret Beaufort got her son to be king eventually. 

4 hours ago, The Young Maester said:

Correct. The cadet branch could have sided with the crown, but that wouldn't have changed much if Robert won. Possibly a few more royal prisoners to deal with, but I can't see Mace propping up a lesser cousin for king when Robert has the same status and armies in the field.

If the cadet sided with the rebels for whatever reason, they could easily have ended up with the throne. Robert himself said that he never wanted the throne, and the rebels decided on him around the trident because he had a better claim. 

Imagine how differently westeros would have turned out if Robert had merely been the lord of SE

2 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Imagine how differently westeros would have turned out if Robert had merely been the lord of SE

Presumably Stannis would be doing all the work as his castellan while Robert feasted and hunted and slept around.

I’m not even a Stannis fan either, that’s just what Robert would end up doing because he was one of the worst authority figures of the main story.

4 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Presumably Stannis would be doing all the work as his castellan while Robert feasted and hunted and slept around.

I’m not even a Stannis fan either, that’s just what Robert would end up doing because he was one of the worst authority figures of the main story.

Storms end would be the party house of Westeros.

In such a scenario that Targaryen guy would likely be seated on the throne if he and the rebels had no problems with each other.

Robert didn't really want the Iron Throne. He became a pretender more or less by accident - because the rebels needed one and they intended to depose the entire dynasty and not just Aerys II.

On 12/7/2021 at 2:42 PM, Canon Claude said:

For sure. I was just thinking on a macro scale. Greyjoy Rebellion probably doesn't happen with another Targ on the throne. Wo5K likely doesn't happen either. Robert marries someone other than Cersei, has kids that marry Ned's kids and probably into the former cadet branch as well.

Archived