UK Politics: Last Chrismas we partied so hard, now it was leaked before a repeat.

A Horse Named Stranger

14 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

If Stratton quits then surely that means that the party did happen.. which doesn't give Boris even a tiny blonde leg to stand on.

from the little I've read she has quit because she is a distration and is sorry for her comments on the video  not for the party itslelf.

Making her resignation statement through tears, Allegra Stratton said she had become a distraction in the fight against Covid because of her comments in the video.

She said the British people had made immense sacrifices and apologised for comments that "seemed to make light of the rules".

"I will regret those remarks for the rest of my days and offer my profound apologies to all of you for them," she said.

3 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

from the little I've read she has quit because she is a distration and is sorry for her comments on the video  not for the party itslelf.

Making her resignation statement through tears, Allegra Stratton said she had become a distraction in the fight against Covid because of her comments in the video.

She said the British people had made immense sacrifices and apologised for comments that "seemed to make light of the rules".

"I will regret those remarks for the rest of my days and offer my profound apologies to all of you for them," she said.

Looks like she's a human shield.

43 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

If she was really sorry perhaps she could have provided some clarification on what actually happened in her statement rather than completely avoiding the topic.

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

then surely that means that the party did happen

I’ve been listening to the Today problem every morning this week and every day, a different person gets rolled out to take part in the same conversation:

”Was there a party?”

”I didn’t attend, but I understand all rules were adhered to.”

”But parties themselves weren’t allowed, so how could the rules have been adhered to?”

”I wasn’t there, but my understanding is all rules were adhered to.”

And round and round. So I don’t think denying it happened was ever part of the plan, the plan was to insist it somehow magically adhered to rules that it couldn’t possibly have done. 

6 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:
7 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

"I will regret those remarks being caught on camera for the rest of my days and offer my profound apologies to all of you for them," she said.

*fixed.

"I will regret those remarks being caught on camera for the rest of my days and am profoundly sorry for anyone to have seen them," she said.

fixed some more.

Heard one British pundit of unknown stripe on our radio say what a lovely person Stratton is and her real mistake was in agreeing to work for / with Johnson. Might be true, no idea who she was before yesterday so I will defer to the pundit's judgement. But if you didn't know what Johnson is like several years ago then you are very naive and possibly being a spin doctor is the wrong career.

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

fixed some more.

Heard one British pundit of unknown stripe on our radio say what a lovely person Stratton is and her real mistake was in agreeing to work for / with Johnson. Might be true, no idea who she was before yesterday so I will defer to the pundit's judgement. But if you didn't know what Johnson is like several years ago then you are very naive and possibly being a spin doctor is the wrong career.

Took the time to do a quick read on her wikipedia page. Well she is marriedto a Political Editor at British troll paper, aka Gammon Cosmo, or Gammons' MAD magazine. The Spectator. I know, don't blame people for their spouses. But it's somewhat inconceivable, that they are not on the same page on a lot of those issues. And somehow the word integrity is not particular high on the list of adjectives I'd associate with The Spectator - and the people writing for it.

10 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I’ve been listening to the Today problem every morning this week and every day, a different person gets rolled out to take part in the same conversation:

”Was there a party?”

”I didn’t attend, but I understand all rules were adhered to.”

”But parties themselves weren’t allowed, so how could the rules have been adhered to?”

”I wasn’t there, but my understanding is all rules were adhered to.”

And round and round. So I don’t think denying it happened was ever part of the plan, the plan was to insist it somehow magically adhered to rules that it couldn’t possibly have done. 

The line from cabinet ministers at one point was explicitly to deny that there was a party and also say that all the rules were adhered to, which of course on a literal reading makes no sense.

The only way to parse that is that they intended to suggest that some kind of event took place but that technically it wasn't a party, which is a pretty awful line to try to hold.

(I'm sure Kit Malthouse actually said he didn't even know if there had been a party, but that the rules were followed at all times, which makes even less sense since how can you know the rules were followed if you don't know if they were broken? But that's Kit Malthouse for you.)

8 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

fixed some more.

No, Stratton was always pretty awful. The most high profile example is this famous example of her misrepresenting and badgering a single mother, a story the BBC had to issue a correction and apology for.

https://www.indy100.com/news/allegra-stratton-newsnight-benefits-downing-street-b1971892

So it will be interesting to know what changed since about Tuesday when they said they definitely didn't need to introduce Plan B. 

The only thing I can see is... the party! 

Its hard to see what benefit these measures will have, not just in terms of Covid, but in terms of helping Boris. Back bench tories are already sharpening their knives, the front pages of right wing rags full of 'Boris = Bad' stories. Nobody is fooled by the motivation for this move, so what did they thing they were going to get out of it. 

But then its very clear that the decision making process in government right now is being run by a random number generator. 

Archived