UK Politics: Last Chrismas we partied so hard, now it was leaked before a repeat.

A Horse Named Stranger

Oh look  breaking lockdown rules of the very first lockdown.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/16/boris-johnson-joined-no-10-party-during-may-2020-lockdown-say-sources?fbclid=IwAR1er5-pHX84K3VgOjq7uDCJaR5gGtEpguO2MRIkaStC58IiSeBQ2d-fvgI

Not really a party but wine, spirits and pizza consumed with 20 people and Boris popped in for about 15 mins.  (which is not as bad as being there for the entire time, but does mean he knew about it.)

Lib Dems have managed to win in a big way. Didn't see that coming - Shropshire is wall-to-wall barn conversions and aga country.* Voting Lib Dem for its electors must be like the Country Living equivalent of donning a red liberty cap and taking to the barricades. 

* Passing over the urban grime of 100 000 person plus Telford. 

Have to say that I did not see that coming. I thought the Tories would just scrape in.

Perhaps the worst aspect for Johnson is that it was a hard Brexit constituency and the Lib Dems were, of course, Remainers. So that means that Brexit is no longer a vote winning cause for him.

It's a huge swing, and as ever, voting is down for a byelection versus general; but it's worth noting that the leftish vote (Lab + LD + Green) still saw a frank increase in numbers compared to the the GE19 (by about 20%), despite overall votes dropping.

Of course it's a protest vote, and will almost certainly return to blue at a GE with a new leader - but it's still one hell of an indication of the dissatisfaction in the country

12 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

If they seriously think that is the message they have just been sent, they are in worse trouble than I thought. 

Even by Tory spin standards, that is total bollocks.

"In the last few weeks some things have been going very well, but what the people have been hearing is just a constant litany of stuff about politics and politicians and stuff that isn't about them - and isn't about the things we can do to make life better.”

Boris blaming the defeat on the media reporting on the government’s naked corruption.

Just forget about all the sleaze everyone. It’s none of your business!

This is not even the beginning of the end of Boris, that's been going on for quite some time. This has to be the biggest wake up call to the Tories that they need to do something and they need to do it urgently. This government is rambling from one crisis to another, every single time looking as if they haven't got the foggiest as to what is going on or what they should be doing. Its an utter shambles. 

47 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

"In the last few weeks some things have been going very well, but what the people have been hearing is just a constant litany of stuff about politics and politicians and stuff that isn't about them - and isn't about the things we can do to make life better.”

Boris blaming the defeat on the media reporting on the government’s naked corruption.

Just forget about all the sleaze everyone. It’s none of your business!

Was just coming on to post that!

Utterly transparent - "rules do not apply to us, so much so that you plebs have no right to care or even to know when we break them".

Another quote sprung out at me today about that:

[The Conservative Party chairman] said there was a perception that the government was not abiding by the rules, but he was confident an ongoing inquiry by the Cabinet secretary would find the PM did not break the rules.

So the Tory party chair is confident in advance that the inquiry held by someone handpicked by Johnson will clear the Tories of breaking the rules. And he thinks that that should change the "perception" that the Tories don't bother to follow the rules.

I would have loved to have seen a real journalist question him after he said that. But these days the BBC is too cautious.

Incidentally "perception" was always Cameron's word in times of trouble. He was never prepared to change his policies, but he was often keen to change public perception of them.

4 hours ago, Spockydog said:

If they seriously think that is the message they have just been sent, they are in worse trouble than I thought. 

Like I said, Tory problem number 1-3: There's no credible standout candidate to lead them, that is not either stupid, corrupt, batshit crazy, or lacking charisma. 

If they had confidence in one candidate Johnson would've been gone by now. My guess is, they'll eventually settle for Rishi. But with him, those Tory MPs in those red northerns seats that Corbyn lost, let's just say, nobody in their right mind believes that Rishi Rich is gonna spend on leveling up in those constituents. With him it's probably back to more austerity and too bad you were not born with a hedgefund.

Archived