UK Politics: Last Chrismas we partied so hard, now it was leaked before a repeat.

A Horse Named Stranger

11 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I guess Brian May won't mind too much if the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers cancel him. They won't of course since they are surely against cancel culture, they will accept that he has his point of view and totally respect him for it...right?.

With Brian May, I am always unsure whether he is actually likable, or an aloof prick.

No, most definitely an aloof prick.

His recent whinings about modern-day diversity, and how that would have forced him into accepting a non-white, non-straight person into his shitty fucking band were hilarious.

Fucking frizzy haired, bicycle-riding twunt.

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

No, most definitely an aloof prick.

His recent whinings about modern-day diversity, and how that would have forced him into accepting a non-white, non-straight person into his shitty fucking band were hilarious.

Fucking frizzy haired, bicycle-riding twunt.

You mean like someone from Zanzibar?

I must have missed that when it happened 

Well cases are going insane, but there hasn't been much sign that hospitalisations or deaths are following suit even with a lag, and there is positive news from SA. This is now going to be a real test of how we move forward in the next few years, with a heavily vaccinated population, and especially well boosted around the demographics of people vulnerable to the virus. Will be we forced to lockdown every time there is a new variant and cases shoot up? 

24 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Well cases are going insane, but there hasn't been much sign that hospitalisations or deaths are following suit even with a lag, and there is positive news from SA. This is now going to be a real test of how we move forward in the next few years, with a heavily vaccinated population, and especially well boosted around the demographics of people vulnerable to the virus. Will be we forced to lockdown every time there is a new variant and cases shoot up? 

Isn't the lag to hospitalisation about 12-18 days? In terms of population stats, not specific individuals.
Cases to ICU more like 18-24 days
Deaths 24+ days

When did cases start increasing scarily? December 11?
If my memory is serving me reasonably, then you start looking for the rise in hospitalisation around December 23

As for where we were with Omicron 24 days ago - 27th November was the first case identified in the UK

Apparently a steep rise in hospitalisations in London, where Omicron is prevalent, though hard data is unclear at the moment on if that's mostly amongst the unvaccinated. I think as far as the willingly unvaccinated are concerned, there is an argument to letting them and society getting on with it, an argument some of them seem to favour anyway.

However, if Omicron causes more illness amongst the vaccinated than Delta already does, there is a very strong argument in favour of preventative measures, since vaccinated people getting Delta can be seriously affected by the virus, so if Omicron evades the vaccines more easily, that's not a good thing.

South Africa just had its first day of over 100 deaths since 25 November, which was the first day of over 100 deaths since 11 October. It's not necessarily bad news, but it's not good news either. If South Africa gets a string of >100 death days over the next while then I think it will be fairly safe to conclude that there remains a link to case numbers and deaths. The ratio would be lower due to several factors, including possibly omicron being less inherently deadly but also very likely because so many cases are breakthrough cases of people with some immunity and less likely to die as a result, but there would still seem to be a ratio.

Dominic Raab explaining that having a drink with your colleagues after work is in fact not a social activity and was completely within the rules will have come as something of a surprise to most, I feel. If only pubsand clubs had rebranded themselves as 'bookable workspaces'!

24 minutes ago, mormont said:

Dominic Raab explaining that having a drink with your colleagues after work is in fact not a social activity and was completely within the rules will have come as something of a surprise to most, I feel. If only pubsand clubs had rebranded themselves as 'bookable workspaces'!

They would have had to mandate smart business attire though. No dress down Fridays to avoid any confusion. 

12 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Isn't the lag to hospitalisation about 12-18 days? In terms of population stats, not specific individuals.

No probably not. Previous average time average time to hospitalisation was probably 8-10 days, and it might be even shorter with Omicron. 
https://twitter.com/fact_covid/status/1473195988386988033?s=20

10 hours ago, Werthead said:

Apparently a steep rise in hospitalisations in London, where Omicron is prevalent, though hard data is unclear at the moment on if that's mostly amongst the unvaccinated.

That early data also suggests that the proportion of admissions who are not being treated primarily for Covid is a lot higher than the Delta wave and make up a majority of London cases.

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

South Africa just had its first day of over 100 deaths since 25 November, which was the first day of over 100 deaths since 11 October. It's not necessarily bad news, but it's not good news either. If South Africa gets a string of >100 death days over the next while then I think it will be fairly safe to conclude that there remains a link to case numbers and deaths. The ratio would be lower due to several factors, including possibly omicron being less inherently deadly but also very likely because so many cases are breakthrough cases of people with some immunity and less likely to die as a result, but there would still seem to be a ratio.

Cases in Gauteng seemed to peak after a sudden upshoot which is a positive. There are also signs of an early fall in hospitalisations though that might increase again. Deaths as well as well below previous waves when it comes to the case fatality ratio. There is definite positive news around. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

No probably not. Previous average time average time to hospitalisation was probably 8-10 days, and it might be even shorter with Omicron. 
https://twitter.com/fact_covid/status/1473195988386988033?s=20

Thank you.

I've not come across that fact checker before - anyone know how reliable / unbiased they are? They look legit on the surface (of course, my bias is to agree with anyone who goes around disagreeing with Javid).

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

So it looks like Downing Street has normalised drinking at work! 

Even Laithwaites Wine are taking the piss

If I had to work with those people, with that boss, I'd be downing much harder stuff. Those folks are a justification for alcoholism at work.

Stop her from doing what, exactly? Put Truss into a position of power? Why not go the whole hog and put a wet roll of toilet paper?

Still, this might be a leading stalking horse article by the Murdoch Empire to put the cat amongst the pigeons, and might signify that Murdoch is waking up to the fact that their favoured child, Gove, might not have the support in the party to win a leadership battle. Or just some hedging of the bets.

On 12/23/2021 at 3:14 AM, Derfel Cadarn said:

Led by Donkeys video message to the Met, played outside New Scotland Yard, narrated by (I assume) Adrian Dunbar, in his Ted Hastings persona

But I thought young British males had no positive male role models????

Archived