UK Politics: Last Chrismas we partied so hard, now it was leaked before a repeat.

A Horse Named Stranger

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Having achieved Schrodinger’s Deal with the EU, one that was both a ‘splendid deal’ and shit, David Frost has left.

Yes. At a guess, he has now found out that real negotiations, where he actually needs to persuade the other side to give him something, are in fact rather hard, Also that shouting at them and constantly insulting them in public are not in fact very useful tactics. So he has found an excuse to jump ship.

Or perhaps he is such a staunch believer in "let Covid rip and let the bodies pile high", that he has decided to subordinate the success of the negotiations, and indeed his career, to the cause? Seems doubtful though.

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Fucking lol

Well, she has some media experience in getting removed from the screens she shared with unappettizing people doing stupid stuff for fame and money - or was it stupid people doing unappettizing stuff; probably interchangeable.

Next week on I am Cabinet Minister...  

What a sodding awful headline.  The rest of the article isn't that bad - in fact, it confirms my gut reaction: renters can't afford to make their homes warmer or greener.  If they had a few thousand pounds floating around to spend on double glazing, heat pumps or cavity wall insulation, they wouldn't be renting. Jesus. 

1 hour ago, dog-days said:

What a sodding awful headline.  The rest of the article isn't that bad - in fact, it confirms my gut reaction: renters can't afford to make their homes warmer or greener.  If they had a few thousand pounds floating around to spend on double glazing, heat pumps or cavity wall insulation, they wouldn't be renting. Jesus. 

Not to mention that renters should under no circumstances be paying for that stuff. That's all stuff the landlord should be doing.

I'm lucky in that my landlord used to live in the house, so he made lots of improvements when he was here, and has been pretty good at upgrading and repairing things ever since (he recently replaced our back door with a much more heat-efficient one, for example). 

He also pays the utility bills, which he's stretched to covering the latest increases and we've voluntarily made extra payments to help him, but that's at breaking point and the rent will probably have to go up. The good news is that this has been his long-on-hold plan to put solar panels on the house more attractive.

I mean me and my partner almost froze to death one winter because our landlord made numerous excuses why they couldn’t fix the faulty window in our bedroom. Not to mention they tried to lay the blame on us ‘having the bed so close to the window!’ ( good luck finding somewhere else for the bed to go!)

This kind of thing is totally on the responsibility of the landlord. The problem is, any renter trying to take action against their landlord faces eviction and a long process that will certainly not help to fix their immediate problems 

As someone who deals with landlords, the head-in-the-sand approach is sadly common and as BFC says, a false economy. Every time I talk to a student reporting mould or damp I know the landlord is going to whine about people not opening the windows, drying clothes indoors, taking long showers or cooking food or any other activity that generates moisture up to and including breathing before they finally admit they might need to check it's not rising or penetrating damp by which time the problem has usually got about three times more expensive to fix. Regulation in the sector is a lot stronger than it used to be, thankfully, but the Scottish Government are looking at making it stronger yet.

On another topic, Christmas in the Corbyn family looks like it might be fun,

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/19/piers-corbyn-arrested-on-suspicion-of-calling-for-mps-offices-to-be-burned-down

The video, shared on social media, shows Corbyn, a prominent anti-lockdown protester and brother of the former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, criticising politicians who voted for Covid restrictions.

After urging the crowd to “hammer to death those scum who have decided to go ahead with introducing new fascism”, Corbyn appears to tell a crowd in the video: “You’ve got to get a list of them … and if your MP is one of them, go to their offices and, well, I would recommend burning them down, OK. But I can’t say that on air. I hope we’re not on air.”

[Narrator] 'They were, in fact, on air'.

He also says: “We’ve got to take down these lying MPs. And we’ve got to support and welcome all of those who have rebelled or voted against Boris, ie rebelled from the Tories or my brother and his mates who voted against the measures yesterday, which is a step forward.”

Might be nothing, but does seem at least to be true: it appears that the UK government has paid for a special wraparound cover on all UK newspapers tomorrow.

https://thefedonline.com/news/government-and-news-industry-partner-for-cover-wrap-campaign/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=government-and-news-industry-partner-for-cover-wrap-campaign

Could be a COVID booster campaign stunt. Could be the Queen has finally moved on to that 'new phase' they were talking about recently. Could be something else entirely.

13 minutes ago, mormont said:

Could be a COVID booster campaign stunt. Could be the Queen has finally moved on to that 'new phase' they were talking about recently. 

Fuck trying to police her funeral with the resources we currently have.

I'm having to do real work tomorrow because of how short we are, which should give everyone an idea of how drastic this is. 

Yeah I’ve noticed a few waves over the past year but sheer number of people I know with COVID this week is staggering, this wave hit like a huge wall!

What I will say is I don’t know a single person who has reported anything worse then a regular cold in severity. I also had a nasty bug last week and got a couple of LFs and a PCR, but nothing. Made me wonder if flu and covid aren’t intersecting at the same time, as I know there also seem to be a flu bug going around. Would that mean the covid was barely even symptomatic for some people who just had flu but also caught the rona.

I'm not in England (our numbers haven't started spiking yet in Germany) but all the football teams testing positive made it pretty clear this is something new. There was some argument from some corners that there's more positives because more people are testing in an Omnicron panic, and/or that people got bored of restrictions so numbers rose, but those guys test all the time and while they might have got sloppy same as anyone else, it's not likely that every team in the country suddenly got sloppy to the same extent in the same week is it. Just went from 0 to wham in no time at all.

I guess Brian May won't mind too much if the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers cancel him. They won't of course since they are surely against cancel culture, they will accept that he has his point of view and totally respect him for it...right?.

Brian admitted he felt "horrendous" for a few days, but is now "pretty good".
He continued: "By that time I had two horrendous days, it was like the worst flu you can ever imagine...

"We were both poorly, me particularly... I couldn't get out of bed, filled with a mess in my head, all the flu symptoms and a terrible cough... Saturday, day seven, I feel pretty good, I've felt pretty good for the last few days so it does go away."

The guitarist went on to "beg and implore" people to get vaccinated if they haven't been already, and expressed his frustration at those involved in a protest in London on Saturday.

He said: "Of course there are so many people in hospitals who weren't jabbed, who are on the line between life and death and I can't emphasise enough this is not the response my body would have made on its own, it's because I had three Pfizer jabs, so I beg and implore you to get jabbed if you haven't already because you need the help.

"I lost one of my best friends to Covid very early on, in six days it killed him, it could have killed me if I hadn't had the jabs.

"I despair of these people protesting against the vaccine, [or because] their rights are being violated to have to wear a mask... Jesus Christ guys, our parents fought through wars and had their civil rights knocked away. All anyone is asking is for you to play your part, it's a nasty thing and it isn't finished yet.

"By all means protest, but protest against stuff you should be concerned with - the ineptitude, the arrogance, the ignorance, the deceptiveness and dishonesty of this government led by Boris Johnson. Protest against them killing thousands of badgers or pretending to be green... Get real, this is not about you."

Archived