The dragons and the sparrows: How will the Faith of the Seven and the Faith Militant react to Aegon and Daenerys

11 hours ago, Aldarion said:

There is no "reverse Crusade". Crusades themselves were a response to Muslim Jihad which had conquered most of the Eastern Roman Empire, and if anything is reverse of the other, then Jihad was a reverse Crusade.

But yes, I do think that Daenerys' invasion will have religious overtones as well. The Seven are based on Christianity while R'h'llor is basically Zoroastrianism. And these two have a history of fighting: in fact, part of the reason why Islam managed to take off was that Rome and Persia got into a spat which evolved into religious war on both sides. So the R'h'llor will be opposed to the Seven, and since Daenerys is bringing the Reds with her, she will not be popular.

Thanks for enlightening me on the crusade/jihad thing.

I disagree. The Seven are based off of Catholic Christianity whereas R'hllor is based off of Islam and the more radical bits of Protestant Christianity.

11 hours ago, Big P said:

The Faith and its Militant section will react in the only way they can.  Oppose the return of the Targaryen dynasty.  It is the only institution which can stand against them.  The Targaryen family defeated them before and can do so again and again.  The Faith is on a high right now because they managed to humiliate Queen Cersei and the Lannisters.  But they will find it not so easy to do that to the Targaryens.  Aegon has a lot of pride and would rather die instead of humiliated.  Dany will find a way to turn the tables on the Faith and they will face the wrath of the dragons if they so much as threaten her. 

The Targaryen family defeated them yes. But with dragons.

Important distinction.

Aegon does not have dragons; Daenerys does have dragons.

These are not ordinary times.  Wildlings are in the north and they bring the worship of the Old Gods with them.  And that is the least of their offenses.  Economic hard times follow soon because the weather will get colder and the days will get shorter.  Famine is coming.  The great wall in the north has fallen and soon the Others will be coming.  How the Faith reacts is of no importance to the larger plot.  

The only way for Aegon to win them over is to marry a devout Hightower.  Which he cannot do if he ties himself to Arrianne.  He will have no answer for the famine.   Daenerys has a better chance because she has dragons and can call for food to be brought in from Essos.  

How will the Faith of the Seven and the Faith Militant react to Aegon and Daenerys?

They have to survive their battle with Queen Cersei and the Lannisters first.  I am not sure they will. 

The series is about three families: Targaryen, Stark, and Lannister.  The Starks and the Lannisters have to finish out their war.  The Lans will defeat the Faith, Martells, and Baratheons until they finally have to confront the Starks.  The Starks must win in order to have a final showdown between Targaryen and Stark.  Which I hope the Targaryen will win.  The Faith will die by the Golden Hand of Jaime Lannister and then off the Lans go to battle the Starks. 

On 12/18/2021 at 12:49 AM, BlackLightning said:

The Seven are based off of Catholic Christianity whereas R'hllor is based off of Islam and the more radical bits of Protestant Christianity

Funny, I always perceived them as fictionalized version of Zoroastrism (which also has fire temples), but this shoe partly fits.

I also think that Dany will get into trouble with this. The unrest among the common people is widespread, as the sparrow movement has shown. It is logical that they turn against Dany and their dragons, and the the expectation that fAegon might be backed by them is compelling (even though we are yet to see whether any of this will happen).

On 12/18/2021 at 12:49 AM, BlackLightning said:

I disagree. The Seven are based off of Catholic Christianity whereas R'hllor is based off of Islam and the more radical bits of Protestant Christianity.

GRRM has said himself in a Q&A in Stockholm in 2015 that he based R'hllor on the dualism in Zoroastrianism and Catharism.

Archived