Most terrifying scene in ASOIAF

What is in your opinion the scariest moment, the moment that inspires the most terror and dread in all of ASOIAF history, whenever it's from the main novels, The World of Ice and Fire, Fire and Blood, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms or any other book about the universe of Ice and Fire ?

Personally I have always found the night where King's Landing rose under the orders of the Sheperd and stormed the Dragonpit to be particulary terrifying, this scene where so many usually harmless smallfolks went into a mad frenzy and rushed to kill the dragons despite the fire and all the terrible casualties they endured, with the dragonpit ending up destroyed, and Rhaenyra Targaryen and her men being utterly powerless to stop it and even the iron-willed Rhaenyra being filled with terror upon seeing the fanaticism and violence of the frienzied smallfolks.

This scene is a perfect representation of how dangerous and terrifying hatred and religious fanaticism, or fanaticism as a whole, can be and how it can turn masses of harmless people into a mad force of destruction. This is something that I find even more terrifying than dragons or even the Others and their dead army. I doubt that even Aegon the Conqueror wouldn't have been filled with terror if he had been in Rhaenyra's stead upon watching this.

It’s a cliche answer, but Aerea Targaryen’s final moments are horrific to read about. She took hours to die, and she died in a truly awful and painful way. And the way we learn so much and yet so little about what Valyria must be like now, giving hints to what all travellers to Valyria must also have faced… it’s existential horror worthy of Lovecraft.

14 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

Vargo Hoat death... it's too bizarre, makes Leatherface looks normal.

3 hours ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

The casual cannibalism at Harrenhall is pretty dark stuff. 

"Too much roast goat..." yeah, I fucking guess so.

Shits gross. I said its the most disgusting thing in asoiaf, which it totally is lol. Not sure if it's terrifying as we don't see it in real time and only hear about Tywins mad dog through Jaime's pov

23 hours ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

This scene is a perfect representation of how dangerous and terrifying hatred and religious fanaticism, or fanaticism as a whole, can be and how it can turn masses of harmless people into a mad force of destruction

For sure. The power of the masses in the oppositions hand is awful. 

Know your goal and wait. Recognize the hated figures and pounce. All evils are now on this figure and it's man's duty to annahilate it. By fulfilling the oppositions only goal.

I swear I saw a maester's chain on Jan 6th. Terrifying doesn't begin to address it. 

Anyway, enough politics, 

11 hours ago, LynnS said:

The Forsaken chapter scares the bejeezus out of me.  Truly horrific.

Yo, mad scary! 

But I'm not scared for Aeron (screw that guy) nor for posthumous Vargo or some two hundred year old dead dragons. I'm a Stark kinda guy. (and Lanns and Targ) but I never thought I was a Sansa guy, until I saw her with one leg out the moon door. Imo Lysa takes the cake as the scariest, I legit thought the main character of asosif was going to die. (I'm totally a Sansa Stark kinda guy these days)

It more or less comes down to which scene drew you in the most. There are many objectively terrifying events in the story. Imagine being at the First of the First Men, for example, when the wights start pouring through the ringwall. As a reader, though, I wasn't emotionally drawn in that way. It was more like "Finally! Some action with the Others!".

21 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Shits gross. I said its the most disgusting thing in asoiaf, which it totally is lol. Not sure if it's terrifying as we don't see it in real time and only hear about Tywins mad dog through Jaime's pov

On 12/8/2021 at 8:08 PM, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Don't know, supernatural things do not scary me, a psycho chopping me to pieces and giving the pieces as a meal for me? cannot even begin to imagine what terror it was, too cruel, guresome and gross.

GRRM must have a f*ed head to even think of something like that.

All that baby killing--start with Princess Elia of Dorne and her children, Rhaeneys cowering beneath her bed and yanked away to witness her mother's horrible death and violation and baby Aegon...it just gets worse from there though that was plenty bad enough.  Maybe it took some of the bite out of the Red Wedding but I sure didn't notice.   Is a younger brother, drugged and starved chained to the prow of a boat worse?  O is it just knowing Aeron's companion is pregnant with his nephew?   Good grief. 

I just reread the prologue of tDwD and man...it's too damn disturbing , horrifying and extraordinary all in the same time! i mean ...starts with discerption of a warg feeling how a wolf eats a baby then goes on to Veromyr trying to skin change into that poor woman .. and finishes with him blending in to the weir woods??

still, Forsaken chapter and anything related to bloody mummers and the Mountain are pretty close in winning the most terrifying scene cup.

2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

All that baby killing--start with Princess Elia of Dorne and her children, Rhaeneys cowering beneath her bed and yanked away to witness her mother's horrible death and violation and baby Aegon..

this. the whole life of Elia Martell is just terribly sad... though didn't little Rhaenys run off to her dad's chambers and hide there before her mom died? the thought of her seeing THAT makes everything so much worse..

Ramsay's girl hunts played on my mind because there is that chance of surviving so you think what could I do? how could I get away? Ramsay is a terrifying creature.

the grisly deaths of Elia's children

Vargo's slow death ... the same thing occurs in Cormac Mccarthy's the road

the prospect of plague and a long winter and Others on the march ... nothing good there

Arya's rather crazed poisoning of soldiers at Harrenhal

Probably the story about that girl that the Mountain and his men assaulted at an inn after the Hand's Tourney.

There are some others: poor Maelor getting ripped to pieces, the sacking of Tumbleton, Jeyne Poole's wedding night. Also, while not necessarily terrifying, there is something deeply disturbing about Sansa's last ASOS chapter: she's basically trapped in a sky tower occupied by people who either want to assault her or kill her, cumulating in Lysa trying to throw her out the Moon Door. It speaks very deeply to young women's fears.

On 12/8/2021 at 6:08 PM, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

What is in your opinion the scariest moment, the moment that inspires the most terror and dread in all of ASOIAF history, whenever it's from the main novels, The World of Ice and Fire, Fire and Blood, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms or any other book about the universe of Ice and Fire ?

Personally I have always found the night where King's Landing rose under the orders of the Sheperd and stormed the Dragonpit to be particulary terrifying, this scene where so many usually harmless smallfolks went into a mad frenzy and rushed to kill the dragons despite the fire and all the terrible casualties they endured, with the dragonpit ending up destroyed, and Rhaenyra Targaryen and her men being utterly powerless to stop it and even the iron-willed Rhaenyra being filled with terror upon seeing the fanaticism and violence of the frienzied smallfolks.

This scene is a perfect representation of how dangerous and terrifying hatred and religious fanaticism, or fanaticism as a whole, can be and how it can turn masses of harmless people into a mad force of destruction. This is something that I find even more terrifying than dragons or even the Others and their dead army. I doubt that even Aegon the Conqueror wouldn't have been filled with terror if he had been in Rhaenyra's stead upon watching this.

Spoiler

Arya Stark kills Raifford the Sweetling.  Posing as a whore to lure the dude, cutting him, and then calmly tormenting him while his blood is gushing out.  Disturbing, disgusting, and disconcerting.  It's Euron level. 

WARNING: potential spoiler if you have not heard the previews for the next book.  The OP opened the doors by asking for all books.

Anything Ramsay does to hurt Theon.  And this is where it gets subjective because anything Ramsay does to Theon, the Great Masters of Slaver's Bay do many times over to their slaves.  We do not get graphic details in the later that we get when we read a Theon chapter.  Imagine the horror if we got inside the mind of the slaves.  We would all experience trauma.  The slavers of the bay are monsters.  

10 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I just reread the prologue of tDwD and man...it's too damn disturbing , horrifying and extraordinary all in the same time! i mean ...starts with discerption of a warg feeling how a wolf eats a baby then goes on to Veromyr trying to skin change into that poor woman .. and finishes with him blending in to the weir woods??

still, Forsaken chapter and anything related to bloody mummers and the Mountain are pretty close in winning the most terrifying scene cup.

this. the whole life of Elia Martell is just terribly sad... though didn't little Rhaenys run off to her dad's chambers and hide there before her mom died? the thought of her seeing THAT makes everything so much worse..

Yah those prologues are all pretty disturbing.  You could be right about Rhaeneys leaving the room though I have forgotten that--I recall her being the last to die a horrible death among really horrible deaths.  Varamyr is utterly disconcerting--a special little ugliness in a tale filled with ugliness.  But so is knowing Hodor's terror at Bran's er visits only a few pages later.   If Bloodraven's cave isn't the creepiest place...there are so many places to go with this topic.  Thanks so much @Terrorthatflapsinthenight9

There are many. Ramsey comes to mind. Personally, I find scenes with Euron to be the most frightening. Not because of their contents (I am more fascinated than scared by chapters like The Forsaken), but because of the kind of person Euron is. He is someone who does not have any moral compass, does whatever he wants and does not care about consequences or anyone in his life (be it family, lovers or anything else). What is the most frightening is not his manipulation by itself, but the fact that he is so extremely charismatic that he can put on a mask and charm his way into anything he wants. Be it power, be it the affection of women or anything else. Those are the most dangerous people- the kind that play the game for fun, have nothing to lose and do not care if they do.

A large aspect of this is seeded into not knowing what he is actually planning and anticipating it. 

The scene that has given me a literal recurring nightmare, a truly difficult feat for a book to impart, are the Sansa chapters that occur around that long night when the Blackwater is burning.

There is so much to see and interpret within the chapters that I find myself reflecting upon them, usually wile I lay in bed attempting to fall asleep. The night of the Blackwater burning has vexed me repeatedly. Especially when Sansa discovers the Hound waiting for her within her bedchamber.

What my conscious mind has failed to see in the shadows of the story, maybe my subconscious mind has attempted to enlighten. As dreams may have a meaning to one’s mind that is suppressed wile awake. I shall attempt to recount my nightmare in the following:

Sansa’s bedchamber night of Blackwater burning. 
Eerie green light illuminates interior. 
Old Nan knitting besides bed. Click click click. 
Sansa sitting upright in bed.  Naked. 
Bloody sheets between her legs.  Sansa with three pairs of six teats descending her chest.

Each older than the next, wrinkled and grey haired.
The bloody menstrual stain on the sheet begins to coagulate.
Blood takes form of a dwarfed minstrel with harp.
It begins to sing and dances into the fireplace. 
Hound stands in corner watching with manic and rapey eyes.
“Sing for me. Sing for me little bird.” 
Old Nan knits. 
click. click. click. 

Thee pairs six. 
click. click. click. 
One bloody sheets. 
click. click. click.

Archived