Small, Worthy, Unworthy, Undervalued -- You Roll With It!

Zorral

They look like they would be as uncomfortable as fuck in my pocket. I have to carry my police ID everywhere and that serves as my wallet.

But I don't have much in it (one cash card, 2 travel cards and drivers license is all I carry) so I 'could' manage with one of them I suppose. 

I see they've started selling wallets with wire mesh embedded in the leather, essentially turning it into a pocket Faraday Cage. Is this really necessary, are there gangs of criminals ready to extract our chip 'n pin detaisl from our bums, or are these things as useful as those strips of rubber that people used to hang off the back of their cars to stop car sickness? 

44 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I see they've started selling wallets with wire mesh embedded in the leather, essentially turning it into a pocket Faraday Cage. Is this really necessary, are there gangs of criminals ready to extract our chip 'n pin detaisl from our bums, or are these things as useful as those strips of rubber that people used to hang off the back of their cars to stop car sickness? 

It does seem like a lot to mitigitate.a very low risk.  That said, pretty much all ski areas use RFID tech that recognizes a card in your pocket and clears you to load the lift.  I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult for someone with the knowledge to rig one of the gates to pull everyone's banking info.  

But yeah seems mostly on the level of "people are putting hiv contaminated needles into payphone change slots". 

Had never heard about the anti-motion sickness strips before,and that was a fun read down a goofy rabbit-hole.  Have seen them on welding trucks though.  Would love to hear from an electrical engineer on whether or not there's even a benefit to grounding a vehicle to dissipate static charge, as I was under the impression it's mostly generated in the cab by contact of synthetic in synthetic fabric and builds in your person.

As a fledgling CEO, I have been advised by my lawyer to take up golf. We were on a zoom call yeserday and he just dropped it into the conversation. I thought he was joking, but apparently not. He reckons I'll be at a professional disadvantage if I can't play. 

Really? REALLY? I fucking hate golf. I have all the hand/eye coordination of a freakin' space hopper. Do I really have to do this? 

14 minutes ago, Lermo T.I. Krrrammpus said:

It does seem like a lot to mitigitate.a very low risk.  

That's what I thought. Even if they extract the card number and dates, that information is useless without the pin. Or maybe not. Who the hecc knows. 

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

What better to turn someone into a corporate asshole than advise him to do what he really dislikes doing?  Win-win for their side!

Imma take a trip to the Dark Side. I'll be spaffing thousands up the wall on Cristal and gold-covered steaks before the year is out! 

12 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

As a fledgling CEO, I have been advised by my lawyer to take up golf. We were on a zoom call yeserday and he just dropped it into the conversation. I thought he was joking, but apparently not. He reckons I'll be at a professional disadvantage if I can't play. 

Really? REALLY? I fucking hate golf. I have all the hand/eye coordination of a freakin' space hopper. Do I really have to do this? 

Did you find your lawyer in a time capsule from the 70s?

Did he also tell you the Dutch East India Company has rights to all the tech in your industry and has likely hired a bunch of mercenaries to murder you with cutlass and blunderbuss?

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Imma take a trip to the Dark Side. I'll be spaffing thousands up the wall on Cristal and gold-covered steaks before the year is out! 

Enjoy, enjoy -- and share some that gold-covered steak with the dog, yanno?  :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I think if you're going to be a CEO it's also compulsory to start supporting the Tory Party.

12 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I think if you're going to be a CEO it's also compulsory to start supporting the Tory Party.

Maybe in the old days, when the Tories were a friend to business. But it would appear that when Boris was famously caught, pre-Brexit, yelling 'Fuck business', the PM actually meant it.

In the Destiny’s Child song that goes -

‘Ladies leave your men at home, the club is full of ballers with their pockets full grown, and all you fellas leave your girl with her friends, ‘cause it’s 1130 and the club is jumping jumping.’

1130? is that not a little early?

Embarking on a new phase of R&D for my invention tomorrow.

Gonna scrog an indeterminate cherry tomato plant in DWC hydroponics. From one plant, utilising cannabis growing techniques, I will be aiming for forty-nine fruit-laden, vertical stems of tomatoes, each around four feet tall. In the wild, these plants keep producing fruit until killed by frost. In a nice warm grow tent, under lights, I believe a single plant will keep producing fruit for a year or so.

My plans required a slight re-working of my prototype. But I've found a way to support the weight of the fruit from above, and if the method I've devised pans out the way I think it will, I seriously think I'm going to have a shout at pitching the technology to NASA, or whoever might need a way to grow food in extremely limited floorspace situations, like, say, on Luna or on Mars.

We're submitting our international patent application (PCT) in mid-February. Once that's safely filed, I might put a call in to Elon. :P

16 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I don’t know who Djokovic is or why he is in headlines, and I don’t care, and it feels great. :leaving: 

Maybe there’s hope for me yet if I apply this attitude to every other headline topic as well.

One thing I like about it as a story is how trivial the stakes are in comparison to everything else that's going on right now. It would be nice to go back to the days where not everything in the news was a horrendous catastrophe.

Archived