Small, Worthy, Unworthy, Undervalued -- You Roll With It!

Zorral

9 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I got an email from an acquaintance I have not talked to in a few years. It had no message, only a link.  I pride myself on not being dumb enough to click strange links so it was with smug superiority that I clicked the link. It led to an occult website page showing protection charms and amulets and such. I looked closer at the email addy it came from and then googled the portion after the 'at' sign. It showed information on a Czech black magic site. For followers of the left hand path, it said. I can only assume I stared into the abyss at some point.

There are scary books and movies that start out like this.  

Lately I have been thinking that Valvoline should add Electronic Device Search to their service menu.  When getting an oil change, I would totally pay an extra $20 for them to sweep the vehicle for any unauthorized GPS devices.

I'm in a gray area where I think it is possible that a possessive ex could plant one on my car but not paranoid enough to buy a detector for myself.  It would be such a relief to just drive in and ask someone else to check for me.  I have visually inspected the wheel wells but otherwise, I am too lazy and it is too cold to do an exhaustive physical search.

Of course, when paranoia takes hold one might imagine Bro Culture would lead to a service tech who chooses not to disclose the information.

For fun, if you found a GPS device on your car--what would you do with it?  The best I can come up with is asking a truck driver if I can plant it on the vehicle.  Tractor or trailer?  Not sure.

6 hours ago, litechick said:

For fun, if you found a GPS device on your car--what would you do with it?  The best I can come up with is asking a truck driver if I can plant it on the vehicle.  Tractor or trailer?  Not sure.

It seems that if you removed it, you might get prosecuted for theft (though probably not found guilty).

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/02/removing-a-gps-tracking-device-from-your-car-isnt-theft-court-rules/

Arnold Schwarzenegger doing "Terminator" things to a Prius and a Porsche. Reportedely his Yukon rolled completely over the rice burner to get to the Cayenne.

Hopefully all will be okay, there was one hospital admittance, police reporting no impairment involved.

On 1/15/2022 at 3:45 AM, Spockydog said:

Embarking on a new phase of R&D for my invention tomorrow.

Gonna scrog an indeterminate cherry tomato plant in DWC hydroponics. From one plant, utilising cannabis growing techniques, I will be aiming for forty-nine fruit-laden, vertical stems of tomatoes, each around four feet tall. In the wild, these plants keep producing fruit until killed by frost. In a nice warm grow tent, under lights, I believe a single plant will keep producing fruit for a year or so.

My plans required a slight re-working of my prototype. But I've found a way to support the weight of the fruit from above, and if the method I've devised pans out the way I think it will, I seriously think I'm going to have a shout at pitching the technology to NASA, or whoever might need a way to grow food in extremely limited floorspace situations, like, say, on Luna or on Mars.

We're submitting our international patent application (PCT) in mid-February. Once that's safely filed, I might put a call in to Elon. :P

If anyone thought I was joking, I really wasn't.

NASA Offers $1 Million for Innovative Systems to Feed Tomorrow’s Astronauts

The Deep Space Food Challenge asks competitors to create a food production technology, system, or approach that could potentially be integrated into a complete food system to sustain a crew of four on a three-year deep space mission. Everything needed to store, prepare and deliver food to the crew, including production, processing, transport, consumption, and disposal of waste should be considered. Proposed technologies such as plant growth systems, manufactured food products, and ready-to-eat solutions combined could provide the future crews with a variety of options that would provide the needed daily nutrition.

This has got me really excited. SCROG is arguably the most effective means of maximising light footprint in limited grow space, while DWC hydroponics is unquestionably the most productive method of growing, in terms of growth rate and yield. And thanks to my invention, SCROG and DWC are no longer incompatible. Oh yeah, baby. Show me the money!

ETA: Actually, screw the money. They can have the tech for free. My invention on Mars. How absolutely fucking mental would that be? 

15 hours ago, Spockydog said:

This has got me really excited. SCROG is arguably the most effective means of maximising light footprint in limited grow space, while DWC hydroponics is unquestionably the most productive method of growing, in terms of growth rate and yield. And thanks to my invention, SCROG and DWC are no longer incompatible. Oh yeah, baby. Show me the money!

ETA: Actually, screw the money. They can have the tech for free. My invention on Mars. How absolutely fucking mental would that be? 

Having the money and having your invention on Mars is the best of all worlds. 

Unvaccinated Olympian died of covid at 51 today. It’s sad. I had hoped this would be one of the stories where the patient recovers and sees light and starts endorsing the vaccine. And he contracted delta, not omicron, that’s perhaps an important information to impart. Maybe he would have survived if it had been omicron, but who knows really. 

On 1/23/2022 at 2:05 AM, Spockydog said:

Good defence 'why are you growing this weed?'

'Its not what it looks like, I'm practicing to feed astronauts'. 

I'd seen the phrase "Funko pop" millions of times and finally today figured I'd look it up and see wtf it was. Google didn't even want to cooperate, the first page of results for "wtf is a Funko pop" was mostly tertiary, oblique shit.  Then I clicked on the "images" tab.   was not expecting it to be a fucking action figure.  I did NOT gather that from context.   I thought I was like pogs or lollipops or or maybe even something abstract like a new word for "widget".   or some such shit.  So fucking stupid.  Dumbest words for a thing I've ever fucking heard.  Such a waste of my goddamn time.  

You all realize these are some lameass knock off bobble head?  I even have one in a goddamn sanseverria plant, it's a Link from Zelda action figure.  I got a fucking funkopop.

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Good defence 'why are you growing this weed?'

'Its not what it looks like, I'm practicing to feed astronauts'. 

Not growing weed at the moment, just tomatoes. Honest, Inspector, honest. Lol.

As luck would have it, and thanks to my most recent harvest of 589g, my brother and I have well over a year's supply in the cupboard. I was staggered to pull so much, frankly. And, quite apart from putting Chops' mind at ease in terms of securing his medication, harvesting so much from a single grow has finally given me the opportunity to enact my food cultivation experiments.

Been planning this tomato grow for months. Prototype is modified and I've just germinated a dozen Supersweet 100 seeds. In a couple of weeks, I'll select the four strongest plants and transplant them all into a single 50l bubbler. If I had more time, I'd grow them all out for a bit, before selecting a motherplant for cloning.

But I have to submit the NASA application before the end of May, and I need proof of concept. Once the tommies are in the bag, I'm going to try something in the cucumber family. Those things are surprisingly nutritious, and I think will grow really well on my rig.

As should strawberries, peas, peppers, and pole beans, to name but a few.

There is a Funkopop John Wick. I think that's the best one I've seen.

On 1/19/2022 at 5:01 PM, Larry of the Lake said:

There are scary books and movies that start out like this.  

Hear me now and believe me later, but I felt like there was someone in my apartment for a couple days after this.

That bear does seem like he or she is just having a laugh at that guy's expense.

Now I'm getting texts from some hunting site saying 'thanks for your purchase'. I'm bothered that I would be associated with a hunting site even in error or for the purposes of some phishing con or other.

Also currently teaching myself to space once after a period instead of twice.

On 1/25/2022 at 2:02 AM, Larry of the Lake said:

I'd seen the phrase "Funko pop" millions of times and finally today figured I'd look it up and see wtf it was. Google didn't even want to cooperate, the first page of results for "wtf is a Funko pop" was mostly tertiary, oblique shit.  Then I clicked on the "images" tab.   was not expecting it to be a fucking action figure.  I did NOT gather that from context.   I thought I was like pogs or lollipops or or maybe even something abstract like a new word for "widget".   or some such shit.  So fucking stupid.  Dumbest words for a thing I've ever fucking heard.  Such a waste of my goddamn time.  

You all realize these are some lameass knock off bobble head?  I even have one in a goddamn sanseverria plant, it's a Link from Zelda action figure.  I got a fucking funkopop.

This reminds me I need to sell my funko pops and salvage what can be salvaged of the money I wasted on them.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Some dwarf actors are not best pleased with Peter Dinklage right now, 'he's not king of the dwarves' was my favourite quote. 

How to get cancelled 101… Hope it blows over and the world leaves Peter Dinklage alone. 

I'm going to a 21st birthday party tonight. For a significant proportion of my life that would have been a really good thing but I think I've hit the age were I'm too old for that shit. The guy whose birthday it is specifically invited me though so I can't really swerve it.

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

I'm going to a 21st birthday party tonight. For a significant proportion of my life that would have been a really good thing but I think I've hit the age were I'm too old for that shit. The guy whose birthday it is specifically invited me though so I can't really swerve it.

Enjoy your Omicron!

On 1/27/2022 at 12:08 AM, Inkdaub said:

Also currently teaching myself to space once after a period instead of twice.

I still space twice because spacing once after a period is not the boss of me!       :tantrum:   I guess that makes me an anti-spacer.  Finally, a hill to die on.      :commie:

Oh man, please root for me, I’m on my way to my mother’s. She’s ill, probably omicron because what isn’t, dog’s dying. Damn just let us get through this one. Just let it be mild and okay. Just let me not crash the car while I try to sort this out. Just let me get omicron mild if I do so I can take care of the rest. 

Archived